Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

What's On Your 2013 Wishlist?

elucas101
11 years ago

Since we are all dreaming of plumies and getting geared up for the season, what's on your wishlist this year?

Comments (58)

• rox146
    11 years ago

The color cobalt is the pot they are in..great contrast with the blooms..roxanne

• mimalf
    11 years ago

Oh, ok sorry, I was thinking literally about cobalt LOL.

• rox146
    11 years ago

Are you in SoCal? This should be a great year for them I hope. I have only been doing it for 4-5 years and learn a little more each year. Find out all the 1st ones I bought were not that great of ones to have. Now I am into substance,smell,color and good for my area...aloha, roxanne

• pcput
    11 years ago

WOW! Roxanne, that is an impressive list.

Mike - it's nice to have some of the "must" haves. I've hear that Mele Pa Bowman is also less like to get black tip. My Singapore got black tip right after I got it last year and it wasn't even cold yet.

Kim- your list is a long one too. Nice ones there for sure.

Maureen - we all started with a couple. Then it was more and more and more! "sigh"

Emily - Thanks for starting this. I don't even want to think what I'll run out of money for.

SagoLover - not all of them get big. There are dwarfs.

I want to add smelly dwarfs this year "LOL" Peg

• rox146
    11 years ago

I had 2 singapores die on me the 1st year when I knew only enuf to be dangerous. I left them out in the cold wind on our deck all winter. My sensitive ones in pots now I have on wheels...it is great on wheels. When we have our annual luau I can wheel the non-bloomers off and have just the show offs around while we sip and smell. I would list the ones I have, but I just started getting some of the favorites a few years ago. Tough job but somebody has to do it...

:-) roxanne

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great lists you guys! I love to hear what others wish for and buy because it helps me to learn about new varieties and get to share in the excitement with everyone too!

Mike if Celadine is on your wish list check out my thread on Molokai Plumeria - you will get the most awesome cutting you have ever seen if you order a canopy cutting! Scott Pratt is one I love - I lost it a few years back when I was new to them and I still want another. It was quick to root for me and had beautiful blooms. It's the daddy of the Moragnes, it has to be awesome!

Kim, what an awesome group you have there! How exciting! Please be sure to post updates on them when you can, I always enjoy reading about your progress. You have also given me the courage to try my hand at a Bill Moragne one day!

Rox, fantastic list too - although I only know of about half of them! haha! I think between The Plumeria World, Brad's Buds and Blooms, Upland Nursery, The Plumeria Patch (Michelle), Double Peak Plumeria and Maui Plumeria Gardens you should be able to find a good bunch of those, the others must be a bit more rare / out of country maybe? Please let us know what you find!

Maureen - you are in the right place if you want to get more!!! We are horrible enablers with some good resources! If you need help with anything don't hesitate to ask - these are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet right here.

Sago - most of us are using the shoe horn method like Rox said (hilarious!) and a lot of denial! Seriously though, it can get quite out of hand if you don't think ahead. Which it's hard to do when you have a tiny stick. A wise man (Dave I think) once told everyone to think of each plumie as a Volkswagon because that's how big it will get. However, we get too many anyways.

Peg, you made me laugh -"I don't even want to think what I'll run out of money for." LOL!!! Ain't that the truth!!!

Keep them coming y'all!

• jhl1654
    11 years ago

@Pcput. That's the goal. The Aztec Gold and the Red plumerias are just the beginning of my collection. @ ELucas I am getting addicted to Plumeria . Lol

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Yes my list is quiet large but dang it I can't help it. They are like potato chips, you can't just have one and lord have mercy I love me some potato chips!! hehe :D

I have other extra cuttings that I will be rooting soon too so if they take I might be selling them as I can't keep everything. I'll also be rooting a scott pratt, guillots sunset, king kalakaua, kaneohe sunburst, & 2 hilo beautys (which I don't think they really are the actual real hilo, but some noid pink ones).

• torqtjk
    11 years ago

I'm looking for the brightest orange out there. Any suggestions?

Matt

• mimalf
    11 years ago

Elucas, I hope I won't lose it with plumerias... at least in the beginning. Later... we'll see.

Pcput, I'll wait with the dwarfs for now. Or at least I'd like to see them grown somewhere in a nursery before deciding if they're something I'd love.

Roxanne, if you were asking me, yes, I'm in Southern California. Still, I have no idea what to start with. What plumerias would be best for the beginning? I was thinking about Celadine and another one, I want 2 anyway, but I really don't know which ones. I want them to smell beautiful, to be almost failing-proof and maybe to be cold hardy, but that's not that important since I can get them inside and we don't have hard winters here anyway.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Hey E. I have celadine and scott pratt got them both last summer from the expensive Exotic Plumeria when I was in Tampa. The rest of mine are JJ's. Thanks for the info on Molokai.

mike

• beachplant
    11 years ago

any I don`t already have!

I`m going to see Becky in LaMarque and pick up another Scott Pratt when she drags them out of the greenhouse, lost that one last year, it wasn`t rooted but I thought it was.

only 12 weeks to the Plumeria show and sale in Clear Lake!
    Tally HO!

• rox146
    11 years ago

torqtjk..the truest orange is Kapalua I have read and been looking for and very $$$$ from Exotic Plumeria.

Sago..you can never have enuf Celadine some feel but another easy and colorful is Kauka Wilder..not lei quality but great on the tree and fruity smell. The reason I asked about location is we have a small luau once a year for plumeria nuts and a few have been coming that have over 400....never sure of the date, I let the blooms pick when it will be...can let you know...mahalo, roxanne

• mimalf
    11 years ago

Roxanne, it would be great to attend such an event. Thanks for sharing this with me.

I don't want lei-quality because I am not going to make leis, but I surely want to have a few plumerias that will not die on me from the very beginning so I'd get discouraged for years to start again... Thanks for the details. :)

• chuy415
    11 years ago

I wont be picky... I wish for anything! :)

Chuy

• rox146
    11 years ago

i don't make leis either, BUT the ones that are that quality, smell the best and keep the longest for me. Gina and Wildfire on my top 10 right now...Kimi, Katie and Jeannie Moragne are in there too...roxanne

• mimalf
    11 years ago

Ok, good to know that about the smell and long life of the flowers. Love it being here! Thanks Roxanne.
    So I should look for one of those in your top 10 maybe?

• rox146
    11 years ago

Sago...that is what I have been trying to do...you do know of the San Diego cutting sale on the 6th and 7th of April at Balboa Park in SD.???? Planning to go but my M in Law is having surgery and not sure now...they publish a list 2 weeks ahead of the sale of the varieties they will have...super helpful and reasonable. Last year I had a friend pick up 5 off my list for me and the cuttings were huge and I thought very reasonable. I rooted all of them with the egg under and they all took and 2 of them even bloomed all summer, now I have transplanted them to bigger pots and they are smiling. roxanne

• mimalf
    11 years ago

Awww, how cute! Smiling plumies!! I'd love to go to the cutting sale, but it's so far... and we have so many things happening that we can barely keep up with everything. Why isn't there any event like those in SD here, in LA area too? :(

• rox146
    11 years ago

I have been trying for 3 years to start a relaxed group here in Ventura County...(that means NO roberts rules) just fun people with a love/passion for the frangie...I have had little if no luck...roxanne

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

My wish list is very long but my BUY list will be very short this year. :)
    I only have 37 at this point so I will see how they do this year.
    However, I MUST have a Rhonda.
    And Toba's Fire.

• mimalf
    11 years ago

It would be nice, Roxanne. I'm close to Pomona though, so not very close to you there, but still better than SD.

Hey, this should be my flower! One of my last names, and my parents' and brother's last name is Frangu, so Frangipani or Frangie sounds like it should be my signature flower. ;)

• rox146
    11 years ago

sounds like, yes! Have you been to Island Plumeria in Northridge? Matthew, and he is so nice and informative, came to our luau last year and I have bought 4 ft. high trees and multi branched from him and blooming for $45...
    He has some great desirable ones too.

I am still hoping to make it to S.D. even if just for the day...a 12 hour road trip. AAHHH for the love of the plumes.

roxanne

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

Should have the 2013 availability list finished by next week and by taking a look at everyone's wishes, I have a good number available and more rooting. Most will be going up on E-Bay except for the ones missing photos from the PC to Mac data transfer (total nightmare) You can reach me by way of: TropicPassions@gmail.com and on Pinterest under "My tropical addictions".

• mimalf
    11 years ago

I never went on Pinterest, but this could be a first. :)

Roxanne, I never went to Island Plumeria, if we'll have time we'll try to get there. :)

• rox146
    11 years ago

Hi Michelle...I just sent you an e-mail...I am interested but don't do pay pal etc. Like to talk to a real voice....you can see my wish list several clips back and let me know if you have any...mahalo, roxanne

• rox146
    11 years ago

Sago...you will love Island Plumeria...he just wants you to make an APPT. w/him.....great guy and great plumies...roxanne

• mimalf
    11 years ago

I understand the appointment way, this is how we have to go at the cycads nursery to make sure we're not going to wait by the gate or anything.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Emily!!!

My wish list?

Ugggg...

I haven't looked at John's new list for 2013 for this specific reason, but i plan on looking at Wendy's list.

I have a few cuttings now that i really want to root for me.

From Wendy, a beautiful three tip "tipsy"
    From Michelle Butterfly Gold and a wonderful gift (thank you!!) Maui Sunset (rooted)

I still have JL Don Ho rooting and Samarie from a great friend in Califronia. He also sent a U of Orange too! That has rooted !!! YES!!!

My most precious gift right now is my Kapalua from a wonderful person who is just awesome!!! I have moved it into the sunroom and i am waiting for it to start showing signs of it waking up. This tree is 8 ft tall and has fourteen tips on it... I have never been so happy... ;-)

So i am VERY happy with all of the trees that i have in my rooms. They are all showing signs of waking up and my special JJ Orange from ANdrew is rootinng as well YES!

I am just really happy about all of these from the end of the season making it thru the winter and showing signs of life right now.

My Viola G is looking awesome and i can't even begin to tell you all how much this one means to me..sigh

SO.. my wish list is to keep them all happy and rooting and not lose any when i bring them out from dormancy.

ok..ok.. if i did have one.. just one.. "cough, cough.. that might turn into two or three this year" LMA0"

Maybe Golden Pagoda...
    Sherry would be one on my wishlist as well (dreaming...)

Have a good night everyone!!!

Laura

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Michelle, looking forward to your list.
    I decided to scrap my "official" want list because it just keeps getting longer and then I find one not on my list and HAVE to have it lol!
    Tally HO!

• coke_nut
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I am hooked, and I'm not afraid to say it. LOL. My wish list is any plumerias that I don't have. LOL. So here are the ones I have, and if anyone is willing to trade with me cuttings I don't have PLEASE e-mail me. Thanks

Celadine
    aztec gold
    calcutta star
    jeanne moragne
    aloha
    baronet
    kipahula
    miami rose
    dainty pink
    intennse rainbow

• rox146
    11 years ago

Aloha Coke nut,

Is Kipahula any relation to Kapalua? mahalo, roxanne

• coke_nut
    11 years ago

Hi rox146
    I'm not sure however, the petals on my kipahulu on page 93 of the Exotic plumeria vol 1 are not the same as the mahalo. I believe... This is what mine looks like please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s320x320/537723_134757976703780_121192428_n.jpg

• rox146
    11 years ago

All I know is, Kapalua is the most true all orange there is...and very hard to get and very expensive. roxanne

• coke_nut
    11 years ago

Well then rox146. Kipahula and kapalua most likely are not from the same relation. LOL.
    Thanks for the info.

• Kenny
    11 years ago

I have Jungle Jack's Taj Mahal and Cote d'Or on my list and a couple of JLs that I will get later this spring. Today I stopped by Jungle Jacks and John was there to help me pick out Taj Mahal and Cote d'Or (1st picks of the season!) ;)

It was a neat experience visiting his nursery as I was the only customer there with him. He gave me a nice tour of his nursery. He also answered a lot of my questions about plumerias. Unfortunately most of his plumerias are starting to come out of dormancy so no blooms yet :(

I believe his new 2013 cultivars are now listed on his new website at Jungle Jacks Plumeria website

Kenny

• mimalf
    11 years ago

Kenny, what's the address of his nursery? On his website it says they're in San Diego but then somewhere else says something about Carlsbad. Do they have more than one locations here in SoCal?
    How was it there? Did you take some pics? Care to share?
    Thank you much.

• rox146
    11 years ago

I would love to go to JJ on the way back from the S.D. cutting sale. Is he open 7 days or is it by appt.? roxanne

• mimalf
    11 years ago

Kenny, thanks a lot! Amazing, how big that greenhouse is. Plumies heaven!

Was on my iPad and it just died on me. Back to your post. So great for you to be able to go there! But it's about 80 miles away from me. Why are all plumeria places so far away from me? :(

This post was edited by SagoLover on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 2:29

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

A sunny back yard in Kauai is the only thing on my wish list. The rest just kind of happens.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

the first ads for plumeria sales are appearing on Craigslist here. Larry has his ad up so he still hasn`t moved and you can get some great deals from him, he is in LaPorte not far from Emerson. Another has several plumeria but no names on which ones and another ad with rooted cuttings and seedlings.

That is an awesome greenhouse! I think I just drooled on the computer.

kms2 a big yard on any of the islands would work for me! I used to live on Oahu and kick myself for moving back.
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Wow, Emily, what a popular thread!

After spending every one of my days off this past couple of weeks mixing soil and repotting, I can safely say my wishlist is quite small! I'm looking around and wondering what on earth I'm going to do in a few years when all these past wishlist candidates are 6- or 7-feet tall!

Still, though, I am an plumaniac and would still love to have Gina and Desert Sunrise! Think I'm hooked up for both now through either Wendy or by trade.

Biggest thing on my list is a bigger back yard!

• rox146
    11 years ago

Okay, so...if you had only room for 3 more...which 3 of these would you pick and why????Red Dusk, Golden Pagoda, Temple Fire, Pop's Red, Kapalua, Embers, or Hawaiian Fire or Coral? roxanne

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Golden Pagoda cause it is gorgeous!
    Temple fire for the huge flowers
    Hawaiian fire if it were affordable, I have a "taste for the very best" lol!
    Tally Ho!

• rox146
    11 years ago

Thanks beach plant...hard to narrow a list down from so many that I still want and so little room. I must say though, my back is so tired and sore from all the moving around these last few weeks and transplanting...I should shoot or commit myself for even thinking about more...not to mention the 2 seed pods I am going to do again....mahalo, roxanne

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Kenny

Sounds like you had or still having a good time out in Sunny California. maybe you could bring back some warm weather with you. this week is gonna be a little chilly here.

Mike

• mimalf
    11 years ago

I know I'm not Kenny, but I'm there too ;)
    It was chilly here too and the weather starts to get warmer only today. Still cold mornings...

• powderpuff
    11 years ago

#1 on my list is Kapalua

Also want to replace some of the ones that I lost:
    Gold Coast Peachy
    Essie's Fantasy
    Mary Moragne
    Compacta Beach
    Chocko Delight
    Gardenia
    Gladys K Brandt
    Kaneohe Sunburst

I'm not even going to try Black Purple or Orange Splendor again, seems not many people can keep them alive. I would rather spend my money on hardier varieties.

I have a list of several from JJ's that I want. I've never lost a JJ plant. I get the larger sizes and they are loaded with roots and are more like small trees if you get the larger sizes.

This year, I'm getting less, but larger sizes. Now that we have to move them inside in the winter, I would rather have larger, hardier than a bunch of struggling babies.

This post was edited by powderpuff on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 10:55

• rox146
    11 years ago

Kapalua is top on my list too but I have heard it is hard to root. I am going to the San Diego show hoping to find lots from my list...roxanne

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company