Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomanydogs_gw

San Diego cutting sale

toomanydogs
11 years ago

Does anyone know if the Southern California Plumeria folks post a list of the available cuttings ahead of time? I keep checking their website but there's no information so far. After the chaos of the rooted plant sale I want to have a clear strategy mapped out in advance. Any advice from previous show goers?

Comments (37)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

"I want to have a clear strategy mapped out in advance"

Spoken like a true plumeriaholic! LOL

But, I believe that last year they did have a list. Someone should come along soon and be able to help you.

• rox146
    11 years ago

I have been e-mailing them and they said to check their site on Monday. Usually 2 weeks ahead they said there is the list. I planned on going but family medical issues are not going to let that happen.

Hence, I ordered from John at Jungle Jacks and 2 gallon rooted plants come on Thursday. By the time I figure the gas, drive,motel etc.....I am probably $$$ ahead. Hope to make it one of these years ...roxanne

• toomanydogs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Roxanne, if there is anything you really, really need (and how could there not be?) I would be glad to pick it up for you! We could have a plumeria cutting relay to get it to you. SimiDude is coming to Riverside to bring me some plumeria he sheltered for the winter for me (thanks George!) and he is a lot closer to you I do believe. Or we could take a field trip up there some weekend. So let me know what you need! It's guilt-free if you are buying something for someone else.

• rox146
    11 years ago

Toomanydogs, How absolutely wonderful of you! I am waiting to see their list and I would love to relay and meet any of you...or if you are through Ventura, come by to see our small but proud plumeria collection...always fun to do with a boat ride... :-) We too at times feel like we have 2 too many dogs (2 whippets). I am checking the list tomorrow but I don't do facebook so I hope they have it listed on their home page etc.

Last year a friend of mine who lives in S.D. went and stood in line and got 5 HUGE cuttings for me off the wish list and I thought they were great prices. I am rooting 10 new for this year over the winter in our sunroom and have the 6 coming from JJ and do hope to get a few more to sneak into the yard before my husband throws me overboard! Just love these darn plants...beats the heck out of the 255 roses I used to have... :-) too much work! So Mucho Mahalos, roxanne

• toomanydogs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Roxanne, we would be delighted to bring you some cuttings! When I was a kid in Laguna we used to take our dogs hiking in the hills and always met this lady with whippets who would run circles around our more pedestrian dogs. We called them the "Yi-Yi" dogs because that's what they said at high volume. Nothing wrong with roses, though. My twenty plus are just starting their first flush and the plumeria are still in stick mode.

I want to stop at JJ on the way home to make the day complete since it is on the way, after all.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Whether its San Diego or Clear Lake it seems they never post the plant lists soon enough for us. :)

• rox146
    11 years ago

I agree...I am so hoping there are some on the list that are on my wish list...plumeria nutballs are the best...nicest people...agree? mahalos, roxanne

• DelWH
    11 years ago
  • beachplant
    11 years ago

it`s like being a little kid waiting on the Sears Christmas catalog! Hurry up with the lists! I`m not sure if it would be worse or better to have the list sooner, more time to obsess.
    Tally Ho!

• rox146
    11 years ago

Believe me...the list is bad for you no matter when you get it....first thumb thru it this morning and there are at least 10 on there ...$$$$$ ..darn it...how to smuggle these in?
    Since I have never been, do they answer questions about those you are trying to buy...like, "do they need to be grafted" ? I know some are much better to get to take off that way..Mkaha sunn, lurline and a few others.....

so fun to look at the list...aloha, roxanne

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

My heart was doing flip flops when I was perusing the list!

For those of us unable to attend, we still look forward to seeing the list.

I wonder if Lynn is going. Maybe she would pick me up a Toba's Fire, although I do believe those will sell out quickly.

• rox146
    11 years ago

I do wish they would put down ball park figures for the cuttings named...just to give you an idea. I realize different ones charge different prices at booths....but still, when taking out the $$$ to go it would help....roxanne

• beachplant
    11 years ago

it would help to have a price range, like $10-30, or something so you have a vague idea. If the list said Toba`s fire $150 then I would know that is off my list! and I could look at others. It`s kind of disappointing to get your hopes up, find the plant at the sale and then find a price tag that is more than your house note!

Oh, and thanks, now I want a Toba`s fire lol! Unless it IS $150.
    Tally HO!

• toomanydogs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Prices for the rooted plants were wildly variable between vendors in San Diego last sale. Hopefully they pass out a list of who has what to all the fanatics waiting in line an hour early so we can coordinate a plan of attack. This time I will cross things off my list when I find them instead of ending up with duplicates in the mad chaos. Not that two Tillie Hughes are a bad thing to have!

Let me know what you need, Roxanne!

• rox146
    11 years ago

Aloha toomanydogs,

I have looked at the list closely and all the ones I jotted down..when I looked them up seemed to get their color in more heat..which we don't get in Ventura but 3 days a year. The only 2 that do look like I need to add are Pop's Red and Mary Moragne. I do have an e-mail out to Matthew at Island Plumeria in Northridge. Last year I got BIG 10 gallon potted, rooted trees from him for 35-45 dollars...and blooming. I got Waimea, JL CHurch Ruffles, Mango Blush and Vera Cruz Rose. So, I am checking to see if he has a BIG Pop's Red that I don't have to mess with rooting.

I did think I was going to grab Embers from SD but I fear it is really $$$. Lava Flow same thing, needs heat to get color. I was hoping they would have had Red Dusk, Temple Fire, Temple Storm ,Golden Pagoda and Hawaiian Coral on the SD list.

So, I will let you know if I could bother you to get a Pop's Red...Mahalo Nui Loa, roxanne

• toomanydogs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Roxanne, Matthew at Island Plumeria has wonderful plants at very reasonable prices. The plants I bought from him last summer all made it through the winter without any problems. I bought Waimea from him too on SimiDude's recommendation.

In Riverside we have the opposite problem you coastal folks do, we have excessive heat that fries plants. The red flowers are the most sensitive and have to be given partial shade or they burn.

Let me know what you need!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Curious to know if the SoCAL Plumeria Society has looked into those "Square" credit card swipe devices which work on iphone and android phones? The PSA used those at the last plant sale in July with great effect and probably the convienence benefits outweighed the operational costs.

Just thought I would offer that up. I hope its a big success and everyone enjoys and someone posts pictures.

• rox146
    11 years ago

toomanydogs, I did notice that the 2 times I was at Island Plumeria last summer...he had them all under high white shade cloth. so nice to go and see and smell so many and he is 1 hour from me...I have e-mailed him and he thinks he has a Pop's Red for me so I will get it from him since it will be already rooted and large. Will stroll around and see what else can fit in my car...you see I do this with friends after we have hit 2 Home Goods and 1 TJMAXX....Fun day and last time I had to strap my 2 friends on the top because I had 4 BIG trees in the car so as to not damage the plants... :-) roxanne

• slave2thefur
    11 years ago

For those going to the sale, I've put together a mobile-friendly website with locally-sourced photos (90%) and a brief description. It works with a regular browser or any mobile device. Check it out before you go, as some phone carriers don't have a signal in Balboa Park.

www.tinyurl.com/scps-c

The SCPS newsletter has more info, plus a QR code (that's the square) to reach the mobile site. www.socalplumeriasociety.com/email/201304.html

Once again, cash or check, no credit cards. Bring a tote bag and stop by to say hello!

=^,,^= Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: SCPS cutting sale

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Sorry but a QR code isnt the device that allows for swiping credit cards on an iphone or android and e-signing. But I hope everyone finds some great deals beautiful plants and its a big success for the SCPS, sellers, and buyers.

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Rox,

Will you let me know if Matt has any more Pops Red? I was in the area last month but I didn't have the chance to stop by Island Plumeria. I'd really like a blooming size Pops Red. Please let me know how much he sells one for!

Kenny

• isobea
    11 years ago

Hi Diana, sure appreciate all the time, research and work you put into compiling that list of cultivars (pictures AND description for almost each and everyone of them) !!! Too bad I can't go - I would be so well prepared....
    Have fun everybody,
    Iso

• rox146
    11 years ago

k2fl...will do...am going on Monday the 8th or the 15th...roxanne

• pcput
    11 years ago

I too want to thank Diana for the info/link. Wish we had some sales on the east coast like this :( At least with the info I can sit back and dream. Love it! Peg

• mimalf
    11 years ago

So the event in SD this weekend is only a cutting sale, as its name says. Nothing else, no small grown trees or rooted bigger cuttings? If so, is there any other event that includes those in their sales? I've seen the photos on FB on Socal Plumeria Society and there are beautiful, big plumies there. Loved how all the events were presented in their pics.

• rox146
    11 years ago

The rooted plumeria sale where they are sold in pots is labor day weekend,,,sat&sun....roxannne

• mimalf
    11 years ago

Oh, Labor Day weekend... traffic must be chaotic all the way... :(
    Thanks, Roxanne.

• rox146
    11 years ago

no kidding on the traffic...they had put it to the weekend after and we were going and now they moved it back they said because they get more people and newbies walking in then they sell more. I would hate to be in that traffic on a weekend for 4 plus hours coming back. roxanne

• mimalf
    11 years ago

Exactly Roxanne!
    Maybe we'll find out some updates from the cutting sale, from the attendees. :)

• pcput
    11 years ago

So what did everyone get?
    You know we need to know!
    Peg

• rox146
    11 years ago

my friend picking up for me could not get there after all....so sad....BUT....9 are coming in from Derrick this week some time. One of these days I really want to get there. had Embers, Mr. ambassador, Princess Victoria and 2 others on the list...next time...roxanne

• toomanydogs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since Peg asked, I will burden you with the exciting San Diego cutting sale experience! We got there at 9:00 only to find at least 20 people already in line. Note to self, next year get there 2 hours early. You have a great time waiting in line talking with all the other plumeria fanatics and trying to figure out how to get to the vendors with the rarest cuttings first so the time goes by enjoyably. It helps to take a large bag and a significant other with to carry said bag for maximum efficiency. It wasn't quite as much a feeding frenzy as the rooted plant show at the end of the summer but it did get a little crazy around some of the more popular vendors.

I got: Katsetslip. Luscious Pink, Ryan Chelsea, Brittney Nichole, Harumi, Scott Pratt seedling, Can Can, Solana Red, Mele Pa Bowman, Premanoy, Wildfire, Grainy Moragne, Fort Drussey, Flip's Candy Stripe, Del Ray Peach and Just Peachy.

A lot of the ones on my list were already sold out or unavailable. I was looking for four cuttings for SimiDude and only one was available. I think Embers was in very short supply.

Then on the way home we stopped at Jungle Jack's. Fun day!

• rox146
    11 years ago

wow! toomanydogs....wished I could have made it...but was after Embers which sounds like it was not in big supply. Still trying to get to Island Plumeria and waiting for an appt. time when Matthew says I can come and get the ones I want.

In the mean time...I am getting the 9 pots ready for the rooting of the ones coming soon from derrick at Piece of paradise.

Certainly sounds like you scored a bundle full, I have only heard of a few of those that you named..are they great bloomers with smell? aloha, roxanne

• animalcraker
    11 years ago

Here's my list from the sale: Anna, Butterscotch, Cindy Moragne, Coral Cream, Edi Moragne, Gardenia, JL Hawaiian Titanic, Lurline Seedling, Magnum Opus, Makanani, Mele Pa Bowman, Mount Shasta, Paul Weissich, JL Pink Pansy, Red Dragon Heart, JL Red Orange, San Diego Sunset, Scott Pratt, JL Starlight, Thornton's Lemon Drop, University of Hawaii Orange, Vera Cruz Rose, Wildfire.

-Jennifer

• rox146
    11 years ago

WOW! Jennifer what a bundle of goodness. I only have of those: 3-meld Pa Bowman, Paul Weissich, JL Pink Pansy, 2 Thornton Lemon Drop, Magnum Opus, and 2 Vera Cruz Rose....this is an illness we all have you know....roxanne

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Wow! Ya`ll picked up some beauties! Can`t wait to see al the blooms.
    Tally HO!

• pcput
    11 years ago

I agree with Tally! Nice haul everyone!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting