Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumejunkie

In search of Musk Rainbow

plumejunkie
10 years ago

Hello all plumie people,

In an attempt to bluster my small collection of plumeria, I have decided I'd like to add some select plants to my garden this year & musk rainbow is very high on my list. I've checked around the trusted sights and have had problems finding anything that hasn't been grafted.

Well I know it's trimming season so I figured I'd take a shot and see if any of you like minded people might have a healthy cutting they would be willing to sell me. It will go to a good home as I've been growing for over 10 years & have happy plants.... :P

PLEASE......help me end this mind numbing search for one of the truly profound expressions of the plant we all love soo dearly.

You'll earn good karma points!...... ;)

Thank you all for your time,
Jason

Comments (27)

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Hi Jason,
    Musk Rainbow can be tough to find and to find one not grafted is going to be very hard. I have one but it is grafted. I don't care for grafted either but some you just never see rooted, and this is one of them. Perhaps they just won't grow well on their own roots. Florida Colors Nursery has them as does Logees but they are grafted. It is beautiful and the fragrance is as well. I would suggest if you love it, get a grafted one.

• elucas101
    10 years ago

And although possibly risky, you could get the grafted, get it really healthy & hydrated before cutting off the top part & then rooting that part.

Although of course Musk Rainbow is not offered frequently and may be too $$ to risk doing that - many people say it's too finicky NOT to graft...but then I think many varieties are grafted that don't need to be- is Musk Rainbow one of those? I don't know.

I have a Scott Pratt / Kohala given to me by jandey, grafted, that I'm going to get hydrated & cut & re-callus to root...I've rooted one as a beginner, I know I can do it- no need to graft.

This post was edited by elucas101 on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 9:56

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ powderpuff - thank you for your response. Musk rainbow is very high on my list, so I'll buy grafted as a last resort. Bnj exotics also sells musk rainbow but they're out of stock now as many vendors are. I've also heard BB&B caries a non grafted version from time to time. May have to contact brad, but he's been keeping me waiting for over a week for my last order and hasn't even shipped yet, discouraging.

@ elucas - I hear MR is very difficult to root but I guess you never really know till you try it yourself in your own climate. By the way, just ordered Kohala last night along with wildfire. Thanks for your input.

The search continues,
    Jason

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Jason!!

I also have Musk Rainbow on my wish list !! What A beauty!!!

Have you checked Maui Plumeria Gardens?

Good luck with your search!!!

I hope your package arrives soon .. Great purchase on Kohala and Wildfire.. Those are gorgeous!!!

Take care,

Laura

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Laura, hope the 2014 season is treating you well.
    My start has been a little up and down. I keep my plants indoors for winter & got a little rott on my 2 biggest plants so I had to preform surgery yesterday. All is well now & my plants are waking up.

I checked MPG & they don't have it...ugh

Right now, the top of my list consists of
    1) musk rainbow
    2) royal silk
    3) golden sun
    4) purple rain
    5) Jackie

What's yours look like?

Cool side note - I threw some red worms in my plants last year as an experiment, 2 with cactus mix, 2 with my own mix of soil, lava rock, sand, and a tiny bit of peat moss. I thought that these mixes were waaaaayyyyyy to dry for worms to thrive. Well I mulch my leaves on top of my mix, moved some of the mulch around yesterday & found lots of worms thriving in BOTH of my mixes......wow! Free plant food and aeration ROCKS! Just had to share that, maybe I'll make a post....lol

Oh yeah, a little birdie told me u may be going to JJ's in SoCal this summer. I was thinking of checking it out, maybe I'll see you there.

Thanks for your response,
    Jason

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Jason,
    Last winter one of my tips was touching the wall of the garage and got rot. I cut it off and it put out 2 new ones. It was only 2 tips to begin with and was only 2 years old so it had not bloomed to branch yet. During a wild summer thunderstorm one those new branches snapped off. :( This winter the large tip bloomed under grow lights, with some sun when I took it out on warm days. It was breathtaking. I love it and the fragrance is really nice, very complex, not the common Plumeria fragrance at all, and strong!

After it bloomed on the large tip it put out 3 new tips but it is a lopsided tree now since I had to cut that one off in the winter or 2012. I was looking at it today, contemplating if I should cut the large 3 tip branch off and try to root it, then it would put out new branches and the tree would look nicer, more even..... Then I thought about how much I really love this one, how hard it is to get and decided to leave it for now. If I cut that tip off this summer, I am sending it to FCN to have it grafted. It's worth having a graft, it is really unique and definitely on my top 10 list. Even if I was able to root it, I'm not sure it will thrive on it's own roots and haven't found anyone yet that has one rooted to verify that it will.

Good luck, you will find one and you will love it. I got mine from Brad in late summer of 2011.

• Minderella
    10 years ago

I know BNJ exotics Nikki said she puts all the Plumerias as sold out till spring then will add as she finds out what she has.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Hi Jason,

I actually have two Musk Rainbows. I know... I'm a hoarder right? My larger bloomed last year and split into two branches. So I don't think she will bloom again this year. :(

The smaller of the two is grafted and is about 2-2.5' tall from the soil line. I need to cut my collection down to 40 so I'm thinking of letting her go. I know I say this every spring but then they start to wake up and bloom and I then I just couldn't do it! Sigh...

Here's a pic of my Musk Rainbow that bloomed last year

• elucas101
    10 years ago

WOW WOW WOW!!! What a stunner. Oh MY!!!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

You need to get one Emily! She's soo unique! Love it! Her staying power is very impressive... from this intense color fading to more pinkish/purplish. Sooo pretty! :)

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

WOW! That is so pretty. Guess I need to start a list and put this on it. barb

10 years ago

Wow is right!!!

What a beauty, lynn!!! she really is breathtaking!!!

Hi Jason!!!

The little birdie is correct!! I'm looking forward to the open house and visiting with some friends out there in CA!!!

Hope to see you out there as well!!!

Take care,

Laura

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello to all & thanks for chiming in.

So it looks like barb has been converted........"praise the loard". Lol

No-clue - lookin good! Oh yeah, sometimes it's ok to be a hoarder. It only really becomes a problem when it stops you from getting out of your home in the event of a fire.

My search continues..........

• ncasselberryfla
    9 years ago

Hello,

Each year I sell rooted cuttings of MR on my site. However, I start rooting new stuff in late March so it isn't until usually around end of May they become ready. Most are 2-3 tipped. I will also have JL Metallica as 3-4 tipped rooted cuttings, not to mention JL Doric as rooted cuttings--mostly nice long simgle tipped. Keep an eye on my site, especially around the first three weeks of June whch is when I will also have a lot fo Kukiat's plumerias for sale--some new releases for 2014 as well. If you visit his Facebook, Kukiat Tanteeratarm, he has these pictured on there--Silk Road Spice, and a few others, not to mention Scarlet Night, Carmine Glow, Fantasia,--of, and since Marble Ice Cream is a real challenge to root, I will have some that Kukiat grafted coming on line soon. We get in full swing later than some, but, this is because we try to offer the majority of what we have as rooted and not grafted--and this takes time. It gets a little cold here so the seasons do influence rooting time as well. Thanks, and happy growing!
    Brad

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Hi Brad,
    Is Dreamsicle included too? I have a thing for dwarves/Singapore-related cultivars.... Got the Dwarf Orange Sherbert too. :))

• ncasselberryfla
    9 years ago

Yes. Dreamsicle is one I named for Kukiat. There is also Hana Emi, which is a pod sibling of Fantasia--very compact in growth too. It has a delicate white striping to most of the flowers in each inflo. Also, Silk Road Spice got released. Kukiat told me he may also release a couple more new ones this summer, though no idea what as of yet.

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Brad
    Will you ever be selling Tropical Aurora??
    Thanks

• ncasselberryfla
    9 years ago

That's Kukiat's call, and he has not told me anything about releasing it any time soon.

• hulamomma
    9 years ago

No-clue, so are you selling your cutting?

• No-Clue
    9 years ago

Hulamoma,
    I sold it to Sonja back in April. She recently reported that it's pushing an inflo so she will get flowers soon!

I'm sure she will post the pics.

If I hear of any source I will let you know. Good luck!
    Lynn

• SHhhhh
    9 years ago

I have a nice musk rainbow that is about 7' tall in my backyard. It is by far my favorite plumeria! I have two cuttings that I am working on rooting now. They should be ready to go in a few weeks. Let me know if you have something to trade.

This post was edited by SHhhhh on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 16:13

• Mary1956
    9 years ago

Shhhh, i would be interested if you still have them. Please, Please, Please...

• SHhhhh
    9 years ago

Mary, yes I do. I have two that are rooted right now, a small one tip and a larger two tip. I have two other large cuttings that I am working on rooting now. And yes I am always up for trading!

• kitnor
    9 years ago

Florida Colors have 5 they are grafting. Should be ready in a few weeks.

• plumerias_lover
    9 years ago

SHhhhh,

I am a new plumeria collector. I don't have many of them. I don't even know their names. They are not happy now, too. Do you want to sell your MR cuttings? I'd love to buy one or two of them.

• HU-553355585
    last year

Is anyone still selling Dwarf Musk Rainbow? Or any recommendations where to get a good one please?

last year

Check with Brad at BBB He might have George Brrown aka Musk Rainbow.

Since this is a very old post, i will say that MR is not difficult to root i have also rooted Marble Ice cream. Good luck in your search …

Also check Florida Colors if Brad dosent have any!!

Laura

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company