Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waimea

Posted by rox146 none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 16:28

Aloha,

I am putting waimea in the ground and it is 4 feet with 2 limbs with 3-4 tips on each. Does anyone know if, since it is red, will it take a bit more shade than say, celadine? It will get sun and heat but a bit of cooler wind off the ocean.

Mahalo, roxanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waimea

The only red I have found, so far that is, that has not minded the full sun has been "Scott Pratt" but it does get a tiny bit of filter from the late afternoon rays. I have two "Waimea" in the ground and they seem to appreciate a little bit more filtered sun during the really hot months. The weather is changing though. I have three bromeliads that are my "canary in the mine" and have always flourished in full sun all day but, the last couple of late spring & summer months the same bromeliads are not happy at all so I've had to relocate them. Hope this helps.

o

Thanks, some one also told me that Magnum Opus was happier with more filtered than full day sun. Waimea is still in it's 5 gallon black plastic and I would love to put it in the ground...roxanne

o

There are quite a few folks who have Waimea that I'm sure could offer you some input, I think they just must not be on the forum too recently. Hang in there and I'm sure more will chime in.

I have a Kimi Beauty that seemed to do well in the full sun but I'll watch it this year to see how it does.

o

Elucas, I have Kimi, Katie and Jeanie...when it is too hot in they after noon they seem to not like it so much..Waimea is sitting right next to them right now but it is so big for the plastic 5 gallon I would like to put it in the ground...roxanne

o

Hello everyone,

So I am trying to root a orange red plumeria cutting and I hear that reds and oranges do best in partial shade?

I know wamiea is such a beautiful bloom by the way!

So does anyone actually know if reds and oranges do better in partial shade? because Im wondering too!

-Shelly

o

Hi Shelly,

I think it depends on your area...I am in Ventura, ca. and the oranges I have like the sun here (when we have it) I did lose 2 reds 6 years ago or so when I really did not know what I was doing...now I know a tiny bit.

Do you know the name of the one you are trying to root? roxanne

o

My experience is they do best with full sun early and afternoon part sun/shade. I'm in southern TX. I would test the location by first partially plunging the tthe potted plant and see how it does.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here