Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

Waimea

rox146
11 years ago

Aloha,

I am putting waimea in the ground and it is 4 feet with 2 limbs with 3-4 tips on each. Does anyone know if, since it is red, will it take a bit more shade than say, celadine? It will get sun and heat but a bit of cooler wind off the ocean.

Mahalo, roxanne

Comments (7)

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

The only red I have found, so far that is, that has not minded the full sun has been "Scott Pratt" but it does get a tiny bit of filter from the late afternoon rays. I have two "Waimea" in the ground and they seem to appreciate a little bit more filtered sun during the really hot months. The weather is changing though. I have three bromeliads that are my "canary in the mine" and have always flourished in full sun all day but, the last couple of late spring & summer months the same bromeliads are not happy at all so I've had to relocate them. Hope this helps.

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, some one also told me that Magnum Opus was happier with more filtered than full day sun. Waimea is still in it's 5 gallon black plastic and I would love to put it in the ground...roxanne

• elucas101
    11 years ago

There are quite a few folks who have Waimea that I'm sure could offer you some input, I think they just must not be on the forum too recently. Hang in there and I'm sure more will chime in.

I have a Kimi Beauty that seemed to do well in the full sun but I'll watch it this year to see how it does.

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Elucas, I have Kimi, Katie and Jeanie...when it is too hot in they after noon they seem to not like it so much..Waimea is sitting right next to them right now but it is so big for the plastic 5 gallon I would like to put it in the ground...roxanne

• ShellysPlumies
    11 years ago

Hello everyone,

So I am trying to root a orange red plumeria cutting and I hear that reds and oranges do best in partial shade?

I know wamiea is such a beautiful bloom by the way!

So does anyone actually know if reds and oranges do better in partial shade? because Im wondering too!

-Shelly

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Shelly,

I think it depends on your area...I am in Ventura, ca. and the oranges I have like the sun here (when we have it) I did lose 2 reds 6 years ago or so when I really did not know what I was doing...now I know a tiny bit.

Do you know the name of the one you are trying to root? roxanne

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

My experience is they do best with full sun early and afternoon part sun/shade. I'm in southern TX. I would test the location by first partially plunging the tthe potted plant and see how it does.

Sponsored
YCI Inc.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Newport News