Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this sun burn damage??

Posted by chuy415 9 O.C., Ca (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 16:39

I just noticed this on my beautiful gift someone here have me- Miami rose. It's firm but don't quite know how to save it if anything. Please help.

Chuy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this sun burn damage??

Here's a close up

o

Chuy, I have a big tree like this and still blooms happy. Not sure what that is though.... roxanne

o

Chuy, it's definitely sun burn. The amount of space you have at the top of the pot to where it meets the soil is too much and creating a super heated space / reflection on the stem. I would raise the plant up by adding dirt to the bottom and then cover the burnt area with a toilet paper roll, aluminum foil or something like that. The plant should survive if it doesn't get any more burned in that area. Hope this helps!

o

Elucas- thank you for your help- will take it completely out and add soil to the bottom like you stated and cover with foil. Will keep everyone updated.
Rox- lucky you- mine hasn't bloomed as of yet- only had it for about 10 months. Do you have pictures of yours?

Chuy

o

next time I have the camera in the garden I will snap one Chuy....

o

Aaah sunburn! I have a few plants suffering from that. I've (hopefully) learned my lesson -- when I don't plant high enough in the pot, I cut a piece of paper-towel roll cardboard and slip it around the bottom of the plant. It seems to work fine (as long as it's not getting rained on), and visually it's less distracting than foil.

Replanting would be ideal, of course, but I'm too lazy most of the time. :)

o

Rox- I tend to carry mine with me "everywhere" I go. ;-)
Daogirl- I think I might just do what you do and cut the paper towel cardboard roll and put it around the bottom to protect the burn. I feel like I might shock it if I take it out to add more soil to the bottom of the pot. Thanks for the idea

Chuy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here