Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to re-pot a plumeria?

Posted by disneyhorse 10%3F (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 17:25

My mom has half a dozen 3-5 gallon plumeria trees that I feel desperately need to be repotted. The soil (I think it's native clay "dirt" and not even cactus mix or anything) has sank 8" below the lip of the pot and some of them weren't rooted with a support and don't stand straight. Despite the neglect, they are "Gardena" and didn't go dormant this warm winter.
When is best to repot, does it matter? Id hate to kill her trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to re-pot a plumeria?

Well I had some time and some cactus mix and perlite from last year so the eight that looked the saddest got some TLC. I knocked most of the dirt off the root balls and stood them up straight and higher in the pots and watered them well. I tried not to disturb them too much so hopefully won't shock them.
But my personal plumerias were all cuttings I rooted last year in 1-2 gallon pots and I'm wondering when it's best to put them in bigger pots. Some of them rooted and seem pretty big and lanky (like Lurline and Kaleinani most notably...) so I'm guessing they will want a bigger pot by next year.

o

Disney,

I was wondering the same thing! Great job repotting. They look awesome. I think I will do some of mine this weekend. 😊

o

Same here! I've been wanting to re pot some cuttings I had in plastic water bottles. I'm sure they are long over due.

Mark

o

Now is the best time to re-pot, as they're waking up, but I've also re-potted many during the height of summer and late fall, too. A healthy rooted plumeria will tolerate a lot of moving around. The leaves may wilt for a while but they'll perk up again after a few days and a good watering.

Good for you for taking care of your mom's plants, Disney! They look terrific and she has some other beauties there!

o

Good to know. I've got some one gallon plants that would probably appreciate bigger pots... So I'll get to them soon! I don't want to see wilting leaves later on :-/

o

January to April in So. Calif. seems best so the trimming of the roots do not cause shock to a fully leafed out plant. I always use water with superthrive and seaweed extract to ease the shock and stimulate root growth. B-1 can be used too which is cheap at HD. garden section. Bill

o

I've got some Superthrive so I'll give them a water with some. Good tip, thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here