Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
possible root rot - help!

Posted by daogirl SoCal 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 18:35

Soooo ... one of my DSPs had a rotten branch (still recovering from our really cold temps), and I dug down to try and get to the bottom of it. Well, it was rotten all the way down to the root ball. I took a sterile pin and checked the other branches (dipping in alcohol between pokes), and the other two branches have white sap until the soil line, then under the soil line, nothing. Does this mean the entire bottom part of the plumeria is rotten? Or is it normal for the trunk under the soil line to be different. I'm torn between leaving the plant alone and seeing what happens (if it dies, I'll replace it), or whether I should take cuttings from the branches that I know for sure are healthy.

Here's the bottom of the rotten branch. If you look on the upper right, that's where it was joined to the rest of the plant.

Here's a shot of the bottom of the plant. The yellow-y bark is where the plant was below the soil line. You can see big roots toward the bottom, and the hole in the bottom right is where the branch came from (somewhere down there).

One larger picture:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: possible root rot - help!

the rest of the plant appears to be ok, but watch the lower parts of the stems for softness. If they stay hard you should be fine.

o

Thanks, Bill. I'll leave well-enough alone for now and hope for the best!

o

What is DSP?

o

DSP stands for Dwarf Singapore Pink. Oh dear! I'm starting to recognize all the the abbreviations! I must be really getting addicted. Lol

Kristopher

o

DSP is just way quicker to type! :) It's too bad this board doesn't allow for "sticky" posts - we could make one with all the abbreviations and jargon/shorthand that everyone uses.

Since this thread got bumped up, I might as well follow up. I ended up losing both large in-ground DSPs (boo!!). I was able to salvage 4 small cuttings which are in the process of rooting (I hope). No more Singapores in the ground for me, though. I'll post pix of the new plumeria flowerbed layout in another post!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here