Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isobea

cutting sale April 2+3,San Diego

isobea
13 years ago

Hi everyone, since I've never been to a cutting sale, I thought I would post my questions here. Are any of the cuttings offered rooted? How much do the sellers usually charge? Does it depend on the size of the cutting and/or the number of tips? If they are considerably cheaper than rooted plants offered later in the year, do you think it is still worth buying a cutting now instead of waiting for an established plant?

So much to learn...

Thanks,

Iso

Comments (16)

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

Iso- at a club sale you have many members competing against each other to sell their extra cuttings and plants. Usually, some are very cheap and others a bit more, but you shop around to find what is there. The more common the plant, the lower the price, and the more rare command higher prices. Sometimes you may see 2-3 year old plants for sale in the $20 to $40 dollar range and these are good deals. Consider for a few dollars more you are cutting out a year or two of time and the hazards of rooting. It is like going to Vegas. Take only what you can afford to spend. The temptations are great. Bill

• slave2thefur
    13 years ago

As you might expect, rare cuttings are more expensive and can go quickly. I've never seen rooted cuttings sold at this society's spring sale - they are sold at the fall plant sale. By Sunday afternoon, cuttings can get cheaper, but they tend to be more common plants. Most sellers have photos available.

Use the cutting list to pre-select which ones you want, talk to the sellers, bring a big tote bag and cash (no credit cards). I've paid anywhere from $5 to $20, and prices are half of what you can expect on eBay.

Personally, I don't try to get the cutting to bloom the first year but instead focus on root generation. Center cuts are my favs since they have a lot of energy to create roots.

Temptation? oh yeah...

I'll be there if anyone is interested in meeting to say hello ...diana

• isobea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Bill and Diana, thanks for the quick response. I did check the society's cutting list and found several that I might want. I think you have a good point, Bill, about saving a year or two by buying rooted plants. So here is the plan: I'll try to get cuttings of the varieties that are harder to find. And then buy the other plants from Mike (Pacific Plumeria) or John (Jungle Jacks),etc.
    Diana, I think it would be fun to meet there. I'll go first thing Saturday morning. Theoretically you and I could even go down together (since we both live in Carlsbad), but I might have to pick up one or two friends along the way. Let me know if Sat. works for you.
    Iso

• slave2thefur
    13 years ago

Iso - sounds great. pls send me an email so we can discuss off forum. Just click on my name at it will take you to an email link.

• labland
    13 years ago

I have it on my calendar to go to it. Bill, from your place, how long does it take to get down there, I am curious how long it is giung ti take me to get there. It takes me about 1/2 to get to Disneyland. I would really like to go. Jennifer

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I wish that we could all go....We will be thinking of you all at the great cutting sale...

Does anyone have advise like that for the show on the 28th in Costa Mesa?

I have never been to one either...so will you "locals" share some tips?

Thank for all of your help!!!

Laura in VB

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

Jennifer- If you go down the 15 or 215, it is probably around 100 miles to Balboa Park (San Diego Zoo area). I would allow an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours. You need to consider any Mexico traffic on a Saturday which can pack the roads. If you go down the 5 you will add an additional half hour.
    Laura- most of the sellers at the garden show are professionals so you still have some inexpensive buys but not the wide variety you might find at a club sale. When the South Coast Plumeria Society was a vendor you had some good club buys but they have not been there recently. The garden show is many plants with a few plumeria sellers whereas the San Diego club is all plumeria. Still I have picked up some great buys in the past at the garden show.

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

Jennifer, I estimated from Riverside but I now see you are in La Verne so I do not know how long it would take to get on the 60 and go through riverside, so recalculate as best you can.

• jandey1
    13 years ago

How I wish I could go! Probably for the best I live so far away.

Iso, just my two cents, but I would definitely get rooted over a cutting if you can find them. Saves you time, care and aggravation. Have fun!

Jennifer

• labland
    13 years ago

Bill,

Thanks. If I go it will be Sunday, family obligations on Saturday. Will keep the traffic in mind. Thanks, Jennifer in La Verne

• isobea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, I'll try to be "good" at the cutting sale and maybe just get two (notice the words 'try' and 'maybe').
    Laura, wasn't it somewhere else in this forum that we all talked about meeting at the South Coast Plaza Spring Garden Show? I'm still planning on going up there. When we get closer to the end of April, let's see if we can agree on a day and time.
    Happy growing everyone,
    Iso

• isobea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi guys, now that we are getting closer to the sale, does anybody know if there is a way to know beforehand which seller will be selling e.g. 'Mele Pa Bowman'? Or do you just have to go around and ask? Could be tedious...
    Iso

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Hi Iso....

There was some talk about meeting up in Costa Mesa...sounds like alot of fun...Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

I will check back with everyone as the date draws near...

If everything goes well here...we plan on heading out there on the 27th so we can be there for opening day!!!

I think Bill, Jen and myself plan on meeting somewhere...we will work on plans in couple of weeks...hopefully others will like to join us...Looking forward to meeting you as well!!!

I/We will be the ones with shopping bags on both arms!! LOL..

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

• slave2thefur
    13 years ago

The society publishes a list of cuttings on their webpage. When you arrive, volunteers can direct you to the appropriate sellers.

You could also pose the question on their Facebook page... might inspire someone to bring extras. ...diana

• isobea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Have you guys checked out the updated list of cuttings for sale on Sat. and Sun.? (It's on the Southern California Plumeria Society website). Can't wait...
    Iso

• labland
    13 years ago

In just got the list od cuttings that will be available. Big list! I am not going to be able to make it however. I am going to have to hold off for the Coata Mesa show.

Jennifer