Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to expect Plumeria flowering

Posted by sshawley PA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 19:11

I have three Plumeria plants I purchased as foot long cuttings three years ago from a flower show. When I purchased them they came with Flower Magic 9-18-9 fertilizer which I used maybe twice. I have been watering them with well water. The second year I had the plants there was maybe an inch of growth with very full green leaves but no flowering. In Spring 2007 I re potted them each in much larger pots after some research on pot size and soil type. Hoping they would bloom after the re potting I was disappointed. The leaves were much fuller and greener and I had stem growth of a foot on each branch. The trunks also thicken up a bit. The plumerias are now just breaking dormancy with a few 2-3 in leaves on each branch. I found the original fertilizer and watered them well with the fertilizer and misted the leaves with the fertilizer. Is there any chance that I might finally get some flowers this year? What can I do to ensure that I will get flowers? I forgot to mention that I house my plants indoors in the winter and outside during the summer. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to expect Plumeria flowering

• Posted by pharoah Sherman Oaks CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 23:28

How many hours of full sun a day are they getting during the growing season? During what months are they outside?

Sometimes they can take up to three years to bloom if your growing season is very short and/or they are not getting at least 6 hours of full sun a day.
Also, Plumeria are VERY VERY heavy feeders. In my opinion, 2 or 3 times is not enough. Try using the fertilizer at either 1/4 or 1/2 strength at every watering. Finally, many believe that they need the middle number of the fertilizer to be over 50 (I don't agree), but you may want to experiment.

If you follow my advice on sun, water, and fertilizer, you should most definitely get blooms this year.

Tony

o

Thank you for your advice.

The Plumeria stay outside when the low temperature stays above 50F. It varies a bit but usually April/May to Sept/Oct. They get about 4-6 hours full sun when they are outside. I do not put lights on them when they are inside. I do not like to leave lights on when I'm not home and when I am home I usually forget to put a light on them. They do get some filtered light from a west facing window they are near.

I will try fertilizing every time I water.

I forgot to mention that every winter and at least once during the summer the Plumeria get spider mite infestations. I use a rose oil or soup solution to deal with them but usually I don't ketch the mites until the plants are heavly infested. Could this have inhibited flowering.

o

I would agree with Tony and add that your problem may be 4-6 hours of sun. To my experience 6 hours is the minimum and most plants need 6-8 or more to flower. This is where someone needs to take the technology in the solar garden lights and use a florescent grow light that can be raised on a pole just above the plant top. It would come on at dark and give the plant several more hours of light to boost the light exposure. Also the florescent grow lights are very safe to leave on inside and they draw very little electricity. Bill

o

tdogdad- Does the 6-8 hours of light have to be year round? At what time should I start a 6-8 hour plus light regime?

Thanks for your help!

o

late spring through summer would seem to be most important but from April on might be best. Bill

o

I've been so lucky!! I got pink and yellow blossoms in February! It has been a warm winter. I have both potted and ground planted Plumeria. They're all doing well. All except for the clippings I bought a year and a half ago. Go figure LOL

o

I also received cuttings from two separate trees. One of which was a split branch cut and the other a single. They grew as much as a foot each year with large green leaves. It took three years before they bloomed. I was brginning to wonder myself but they look great now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here