Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sshawley

When to expect Plumeria flowering

sshawley
16 years ago

I have three Plumeria plants I purchased as foot long cuttings three years ago from a flower show. When I purchased them they came with Flower Magic 9-18-9 fertilizer which I used maybe twice. I have been watering them with well water. The second year I had the plants there was maybe an inch of growth with very full green leaves but no flowering. In Spring 2007 I re potted them each in much larger pots after some research on pot size and soil type. Hoping they would bloom after the re potting I was disappointed. The leaves were much fuller and greener and I had stem growth of a foot on each branch. The trunks also thicken up a bit. The plumerias are now just breaking dormancy with a few 2-3 in leaves on each branch. I found the original fertilizer and watered them well with the fertilizer and misted the leaves with the fertilizer. Is there any chance that I might finally get some flowers this year? What can I do to ensure that I will get flowers? I forgot to mention that I house my plants indoors in the winter and outside during the summer. Thanks!

Comments (15)

• sshawley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your advice.

The Plumeria stay outside when the low temperature stays above 50F. It varies a bit but usually April/May to Sept/Oct. They get about 4-6 hours full sun when they are outside. I do not put lights on them when they are inside. I do not like to leave lights on when I'm not home and when I am home I usually forget to put a light on them. They do get some filtered light from a west facing window they are near.

I will try fertilizing every time I water.

I forgot to mention that every winter and at least once during the summer the Plumeria get spider mite infestations. I use a rose oil or soup solution to deal with them but usually I don't ketch the mites until the plants are heavly infested. Could this have inhibited flowering.

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

I would agree with Tony and add that your problem may be 4-6 hours of sun. To my experience 6 hours is the minimum and most plants need 6-8 or more to flower. This is where someone needs to take the technology in the solar garden lights and use a florescent grow light that can be raised on a pole just above the plant top. It would come on at dark and give the plant several more hours of light to boost the light exposure. Also the florescent grow lights are very safe to leave on inside and they draw very little electricity. Bill

• sshawley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tdogdad- Does the 6-8 hours of light have to be year round? At what time should I start a 6-8 hour plus light regime?

Thanks for your help!

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

late spring through summer would seem to be most important but from April on might be best. Bill

• cindyfromsoflorida
    16 years ago

I've been so lucky!! I got pink and yellow blossoms in February! It has been a warm winter. I have both potted and ground planted Plumeria. They're all doing well. All except for the clippings I bought a year and a half ago. Go figure LOL

• scooter725_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I also received cuttings from two separate trees. One of which was a split branch cut and the other a single. They grew as much as a foot each year with large green leaves. It took three years before they bloomed. I was brginning to wonder myself but they look great now.

• empi324
    8 years ago

I live i Southern California. This is my third year for my plumeria. I have two Plumeria (2 stalks each in large pots). Last year both bloomed. So far this year they have not bloomed yet. The leaves are beautiful and insect free. I just fertilized them last week for the first time and I am wondering now after reading, if I should be fertilizing more often. Can I expect to see blooms this year, hopefully.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    8 years ago

I think yes you should routinely fertilize and locate where it gets as much sun as possible. Best advice is to read the fertilizer application instructions for the recommended quantity and length of cycle. If using a granular I then half the cycle and half the quantity. So half of recommended levels twice as often. Good luck.

• Bob Winter
    6 years ago

I'm going to use led grow lights this winter to keep the cuttings I have now going. Very little heat out put. In 4x4 tent. I also have a question. Is there a form where you can trade plumeria? Thanks Bob

• hugh_montague
    6 years ago

I purchased a cutting at the Philly Flower Show in 2017, 8 months later I have a bud, am I lucky or what. I use MircleGrow.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    6 years ago

Bob, I recommend you start a fresh thread with your question. I am sure many others overlooked it just as I did.

Hugh, congrats. It does happen. Hopefully it will bloom again for you next year.

• rusty_blackhaw
    6 years ago

Well, I'm going to be heading into the last season for several large seed-raised Plumerias that have never flowered. These are multi-branched, healthy 5-6 footers in 10-12 inch pots that get at least 8 hours of sun when outdoors in late spring to early fall, have been fertilized with full-strength bloom formula every few weeks (or in one year, every 10 days to 2 weeks), and grow a good crop of foliage - but not flowers. Any further ideas on promoting flowering before they wind up on the compost heap next fall?

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    6 years ago

IMO the containers are too small. My 5-6 ft tall plants are in a minimum of 15 gallon container if not a 25 gallon container.

• HU-257656361
    3 years ago

Hi I live in Florida bought my plumerias

at disney they bloomed the first year this is my third year all I see is green leaves no buds I bought the Hawaiian fertilizer And use that than last winter I bought three more plumerias now one looks like it has buds on it the other two only has the green leaves when will I get flowers on all of them I live in Florida and leave them on patio which they get sun most of the day they are in sand can you email me I am so frustrated

fexizian813@icloud.com