Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
will07_gw

Should this be trimmed?

Will07
11 years ago

it is in a 9'' pot and has shot out those 2 side shoots all summer and now i'm wondering if it is too long and if i should trim the branches to encourage bushiness?

Comments (7)

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Personally, I would take a garden stake (round metal.plastic coated) and insert it right next to the main stem, parallel to it. Then using 1" plastic tie I would tie the stake to the main stem low and high on the stem. Now I would loop plastic tie around the branches a few inches from the ends and bend them carefully curving upwards and pulling toward the stake. If the branch begins to resist, tie off, wait a few days and then pull a few more inches. When they are pointing up, tie off. Careful not to snap the branch by pulling too hard. After a few years, the shape will hold and the plant will be shaped more vertical. If you trim the branches, it will probably not flower for an entire season.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    this shows a plant I was shaping in 2008 on the right with clear plastic tie.

• qaguy
    11 years ago

I'll second tdogdad's advice.

But I'd put a bit more emphasis on BE GENTLE!

Plumeria are very flexible provided you do it slowly.

A quick jerk will break off a limb much easier than you think.

• Will07
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I shall give it a try!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

I use emt conduit Being an electrician I have ample supply. I also paint it green. I have a scentsational that has four tips and Im slowly shaping them all upward. Key is to bend a little wait then bend more.

Mike

• jandey1
    11 years ago

And don't water beforehand! A dehydrated plumeria will bend more easily than one full of water.

I've done this with many plumeria whose branches were going off in undesirable directions, using just green gardeners' tape. Works very well and like tdogdad says, eventually the wood hardens and you have a tree in the shape you want. Good luck!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Ditto. Consider it a work in progress so take it slow. I have used the tape, twine with foam cushioning, zip ties, and/or Velcro. Sad to say I have snapped more than my share by attempting to expedite the process.

• Will07
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I tried experimenting with it tonight but I noticed my mother went crazy with the plants and watered a bunch of them including my plumeria, I was so mad because I had been drying it out for this specific purpose. I have now put a big sign on it saying DON'T WATER!!!

I'm probably going to have to stake it and tie it off like everyone suggested as my experiment seems to be only bending the right branch and I don't want to snap it!