Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goprius11

First time plumeria grower

goprius11
10 years ago

Hello everyone just wanted to say hello! I am new to growing these awesome plants and can't wait to grow my collection of plants!! I got my first cutting in the mail today and I have been doing a lot of reading over the past few weeks and have learned a lot from all of you! Just had a quick question should I store my cutting in a cool dark place or a cool place with a little light? I am in central Florida and day time temps are in the high 70s low 80s and and I have a covered porch that gets no direct sun light all day. Just wanted to see what was the best place for storing my new cutting for drying before planting? How does the cutting look? Thanks again everyone!!!!

Comments (10)

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Hi there and WELCOME! And congrats on your new cutting! It looks really good! Do you know what variety or color you got? How exciting!

So far I've had the best luck with some advice from everyone here - to get some hardwood mulch ($4 or less but only comes in big bags) and put some in a plastic container where you can set your cutting just on top of or above the mulch. Some lay them down, I have stood them up and laid them down depending on space.

Can you take a pic of the end of your cutting? Just curious how callused it already is?

You can use a variety of bins / Tupperware, whatever - I have even used a pitcher. And put the lid over or put aluminum foil on top & put in a warm place (your covered patio sounds perfect) and it creates a kind of humidity chamber for the cutting. The mulch has moisture already in it, in an amount that seems good for keeping the cutting just moist enough without rotting it.

Good luck and I'm sure others will have great advice for you as well. Please keep us updated on your progress!

• goprius11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the help! So you think that the best place is on the covered patio? Here is a pic of the end of the cutting kinda hard to see the seller has dipped it if rooting powered! I do not know the name of the plant it was an unknown and labeled one thought it would be good for me to start out with a cheeper cutting for my first one to see how my luck goes with rooting! It has stared to calluses over some the seller told me to wait a week before trying to root? Thank again

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Hi there! So sorry for the delay in a response, I haven't been able to get on the forum until today. I think anywhere you can keep it warm will work really - I keep mine in the kitchen but our house is usually in the mid 70's.

The bottom looks good - no shrinking back which is a great sign! You may not even need the mulch now - has it been a week already? If not, for next time it's a great method.

I'm sure whatever you got it will be gorgeous!!!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Yep that looks great! Good luck!!

• goprius11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So you think it's time to plant? I got the cutting on Friday but it was cut and then mailed to me so I would think that it's been a week from the cutting? Thanks for all the good luck wishes!!

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Just to be sure, maybe wait until this weekend, that will be 2 weeks. Your callus is looking good so I think you would be set. I'm sure others can weigh in but I think 2 weeks to callus is great!

• goprius11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome thanks for your help and input!! Means alot! Thanks again

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Go, congratulations on the beautiful first cutting! Hope it thrives and blooms for you!

As Emily said, you should be good to start rooting now, and I've had the most success using coir (coconut husk) as my rooting medium. You can use any fast-draining potting mix or straight perlite, too. You're best off using a clear container like a Solo cup or water bottle with the top cut off and holes punched into the bottom. Then you can see roots when they form. Just make sure to fill to the rim so the cutting doesn't get sunburned at the base from the radiated heat!

Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

• goprius11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jandey, Thanks so much

Thanks so much for all the info I am really looking forword to growing my own plants, I have gotton 2 more cuttings and a rooted plant and I canit wait for them to take off! I am going to try and get my first cutting in some soil and perlite tonight or in the morning and hope for the best! I have been doing a lot of reading on useing an egg to root as well? Thanks again

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I would like to add my welcome too!!

Congratulations on your new cutting!! It looks good to me as well!!

Have fun! You have received great advice!!!

Please keep us posted !!

Laura