Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Plumeria Trimming Questions

Posted by splais AZ (splais1@msn.com) on
Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 21:14

So I see I can trim my Plumeria. I'm in Yuma AZ and my plant goes dorment in winter and drops all her leaves. Every spring she comes right back. Right now she has three branches about four feet long and a main trunk about 8-10" long.

From what I read she will branch out from whereever I trim her. Two questions.

Can I plant the branches I cut off and if so how should I do it?

It's coming on mid march. Is this the correct time to trim?
thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Plumeria Trimming Questions

This is the time to prune plants. The resultant cuttings can be rooted to create new plants. See plumeria101.com for info.Basically, put the cut pieces in a cool, dark place for a week or two. Dust/coat the cut end with rooting hormane and pot in a fast draining soil mix such as perlite and potting soil ( I use about 50/50 mix). Water once, and leave alone. Could take a few weeks or more to take root, depending on light and heat. Rooting is confirmed when the cutting has produced full sized leaves.

Make sure the remaining branches on the original plant are at least 4-6" long for new growth to occur. You will not get blooms on the original plant this year if you prune all the branches. Bill (TDOGDAD) advocates pruning some branches each year to control size and still get blooms. What you don't prune this year, do next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here