Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maark23

Is it too early?

maark23 TX/8a
10 years ago

Hello! I hope everyone is doing great!

I was wondering if it is too early to start ordering cuttings and plants? I need to get some replacements for plants I lost over the winter.

I've been browsing around on eBay and some other online sources and see lots of great things. :0

I think it should be fine to start shipping but not sure because the Weather is always changing. I do have a heat mat but it's being used for seedlings .

I'm getting anxious waiting for spring.

Mark

Comments (8)

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I don't think it's too early to order, just watch the forecast and try to be able to pick up any packages quickly if our days get down to the 30's again.

Jeez Louise, it's forecasted to go in to the mid-30's again this week! When will this winter ever end?

• elucas101
    10 years ago

I don't think it's too early either apparently since let's just say I also got a little antsy :0 heh heh! Although I do still have heat mat space left. Mark, are you north? Jandey and I are both near Austin.

Jen, after this one really low night it's looking good though right? Would I be crazy to put the plants out this weekend????

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

I would say no problem either but one thing to consider is not just your weather and the weather were the cuttings are coming from but also the main hub cities for Fedex, UPS and The postal service. Fedex air hub is in Memphis and UPS is I believe in Louisville. Most of the airf reight comes in at night in those cities and if its really cold your cuttings have a chance to be exposed. That is of course if you package goes there but no one really would know that.

Hey Jen. Our high tomorrow is supposed to be 80, woo hoo. Just warm enough to tease us and make all the fruit trees flower way to early.

Mike

• maark23 TX/8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sweet! Thanks everyone! The temps are looking good. It seems like winter is almost over.

Elucus101- haha! Your secret is safe. I'm actually in El Paso. This week the low is going to be 41 with days in the low 70's.

Mark

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Mark!!!

I would start to order in the next few weeks.. You should be fine.!!!

Tex will be sending me a couple next week or so and I think the cold weather will break or at least it won't be like it was a few weeks ago.!!!

Go ahead... We all are getting ready to order, so we will be right with you!!!!

;-)

Laura

• maark23 TX/8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement Laura! :D

There are so many options out there. I think i am going to order some from here some from there and so on.. haha!

Mark

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Mark, that's exciting! Sad to hear you lost some over the winter though. Do you have any idea what may have done them in? Which ones are you looking at getting?!

We have another temp drop here I think Thursday night and one more next week but after that it seems to warm up a lot. If the one next week doesn't look like it lasts too long I may consider taking some out but I'm kind of chicken! :)

I spread my business around this time as well, ordering from 3 different sellers that I like and trust :) And some rooted, some cuttings...mixing it up! haha!

• maark23 TX/8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Emily, I really have no idea why I lost them. I had them inside and dry. I'm thinking maybe they got too cold? Not really sure.
    Here is a small list of things I'd like go get.. Haha!!
    Edi Morgane
    Kaneohe Sunburst
    J.L. Pink Pansy
    Kona Sunset
    Celadine
    Lei Rainbow
    Guillot's Sunset

I can't wait for the warm weather to be here!! I have two plants pushing leaves right now.

This year I am trying to get rooted plants but cuttings will work. :) I think I have the rooting process down.

Mark

This post was edited by Maark23 on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 22:43

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths