Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Singapore Pink - Treating Black Spots

Posted by CoreyO Puerto Rico (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 8:06

I live in Puerto Rico. I have a 4th story Penthouse with a 5th story rooftop terrace. I have many plumeria in very large pots up on my rooftop terrace and allow them to grow to about 8ft before cutting them down in mid winter. I live right next to the ocean, and they are bombarded with a constant breeze (or more) and so they are exposed to every natural airborne substance constantly.

-- Dwarf Singapore Pinks --
These are absolutely the worst. I get black spots on the leaves and these black spots multiply and spread. If I cannot learn to control the black spots, I may get rid of the plants altogether. Here are pictures:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5148/5645573545_4a59c337fd.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5150/5645573543_d3547c1c39.jpg

I have come across vague instructions on this forum and I was hoping to get some clarification on the following:

1. What is the name of this, and is it fungal?

2. Exactly what do I use for treating this? Name brands of fungicides that people have used with success would be appreciated.

3. How frequently should I treat the plants (both while black spots are present, and after the battle has been won).

4. Will the damaged leaves repair themselves after the fungus has died, or just eventually fall off. Do I need to cut them off immediately or will treating them stop the spread. At least half of the leaves are infected and cutting them would mean getting rid of most of the leaves.

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Spots - Dwarf Singapore Pink

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Singapore Pink - Treating Black Spots

Good Luck

I'm getting a dwarf pink & obtusa & its relatives seem to be more susceptable to rot & fungus.

Damp & cool temps seem to affect it.

I have a crossed singapore & it got black spots on the leaves. I tried pinching off as many as I could & sprayed with Safer Fungacide spectrum 3 I think its called & also could spray w dilute phystan.

Luckily I have had luck & that crossed sing & my Sing white which developed black tip & I treated that with the above mixed with cinnamon & manuka honey.
it seems to work
just saturated a gauaze dressing & keep applyin the fungacide to the bandage
My sing had a complete recovery & then got an inflo

They are really nice but you have to deal w there issues

Good Luck

o

My dwarf Singapore also had that issue; it didn't harm the plant, just made the leaves looked ugly. :)

o

I live in San Diego about 13 miles from the coast and my pink Singapore gets the same condition, some years are worst then others. The spots do not hurt anything, just make the plant look ugly until new leaves emerge and it starts to bloom. No one notices the leaves when it is covered with cluster of beautiful flowers.

o

This is my 3rd year dealing with the spots. As you guys said, it's more ugly than anything else, and I'd like to find a solution.

Camelotshadow, how do you use a gauze dressing, especially on a tree with tons of branches and leaves?

Does anyone know what it's called? With a proper name, maybe I could find more information on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here