Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much sun?

Posted by bchorner88 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 8:14

How much sun does a Plummie need each day?

My home faces SE so the front receives morning sun and the back the hotter afternoon sun.

I really want to put the Plummies in the front for beauty but am afraid they won't receive enought sunlight.

Anyone's thoughts and advice?

Thanks,
Belkys

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much sun?

I think basically the more the better. They love the sun!

o

You didnt say where you live, but in general Lauries advice about the more sun the merrier is correct. Plumeria need at least 6 to 8 hours of full sun per day to bloom. If you live in a scorching desert climate like I do, you should try to give them partial shade during the hottest part of day during the summer, say 12 until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. If your plants are large and older, this isnt as important.

Philip

o

Hi Belky,
It depends where you live and how intense your heat is. I have the same conditions in my back yard. My plants get the morning light to about 3 pm. then they go dark, passes over to the so/ west sun..there where I live, gets very hot. I will not, anymore put in west sun, we hit over 100 plus in the summer cooks the leaves. So if you have straight light, not obstructed by trees, over hang of a house roof or or ? may grow well.

o

I'm in NE Georgia

o

Mine grows in full east/west exposure. It's the way my house and lawn are set. I have no choice, but for Texas sun they seem to thrive. Wish a lot of other things did. ;)
Gladys

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here