Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trigger_m

How Tall Will they get?

trigger_m
18 years ago

Hello.I Am Brand new To Plumeria.Just Got 4 Cuttings.Letting them Root now.After They root,I'm Gonna Plant them In A Well Composted,Full Sun Location.How Tall Should I Expect Them to get By fall,Before I Dig them up?Thanks,Mark

Comments (10)

• mikeod
    18 years ago

Mark,
    It is really hard to say. Some of my new cuttings grew 12-14" while others grew much less than that. It depends on the cultivar.

Make sure the soil you plant them in drains well. If it retains too much water, you could get root rot.

Mike

• frangipaniaz
    18 years ago

It would be easier if you planted them in pots and then sunk the pots in the ground... and like Mike said, size varies... what colors and varieties did you get??
    Brittany

• tdogdad
    18 years ago

Mike again is right on. In warm, humid weather the plumeria might grow from 14-18 inches per year, but most people can count on 12-14. As plants get older, the rate often slows down but is converted into width. I find my reds and pinks are lanky and grow taller (Cerise for example) but some are slow. I have three hedges in the ground that were all planted at the same time and the plants very from 4 to 7 feet in four and one half years. I find that putting large stakes next to my plants and using plastic 3/4" plant tie I pull my limbs upward to shape the plant. After several years the lower ties are cut and the shape is held. I trim any arms going outward or downward. After about 7 foot I will let them move outward. Should look good in 3 years.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

tdogdad,

The way you tie up the limbs is very interesting. Would you have any pictures you could post? I would love to see it!

Carol

• tdogdad
    18 years ago

Carol. Since my plants are still without leaves, the ties are very easy to see. Once the leaves come, they are hidden. I will take a picture of one of my hedges so you can see several plants. Remember, it is not pretty in the winter, but the summer is awesome. As branches get hardened and mature, I cut away the ties and move up the plant. I will get that picture as soon as I can. Also you can use this in medium pots to keep the plant from spreading out too much. This allows more plants to squeeze together without having to prune off branches as much.

• tdogdad
    18 years ago

Hope these pictures show what I am doing.{{gwi:1159188}}{{gwi:1159189}}

• Arl_Tom
    18 years ago

tdogdad,

Thanks for posting those pictures. Your setup is impressive. Definitely no wind damage there. Think I will do something similar.

~Tom

• tdogdad
    18 years ago

one thing I did not mention is that all those plumies in the pictures are in the ground year around. The pots you see are tuberroses which I place between the Plumerias and which add a fantastic exotic smell when they send up their long stems with small white flowers upon (in the summer). today i cut about half of the green ties in the single picture as the stems were strong enough to support the shape I wanted. The older a section of an arm, the less likely it will move much. Shaping needs to progress in the last and present years growth. After that, the shape is usually set, so the ties can be removed. I feel this type of shaping limits width and encourages height. For my hedge, when the growth extends above about 6.5 feet, I intend to let the plants widen and bush out overhead. You can give calcium nitrate or old milk to beef up the width of stems and encourage hardening. Hope this helps.

• pappy
    18 years ago

tdogdad,

Could you elaborate on the calcium nitrate/old milk? How much and how often?

• tdogdad
    18 years ago

Calcium helps widen and harden the plants. I just sprinkle about one or two tablespoons of calcium nitrate around a mature plant usually once in May and once in September. A Vietnamese friend just pours a half gallon of old milk every couple of months in place of watering and he has some beefy plants. I also talk about feeding on my reply to "newbie.... " Apr 6.