Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Watermark Your Photos!

elucas101
10 years ago

There is a lot of picture stealing going on, for ebay sales and others, plumeria, adenium, you name it. Many of you have such beautiful photos, I strongly recommend you start to watermak your nice photos (especially blooms!!!) so they don't fall into the hands of fraudulent sellers.

Comments (25)

• xerophyte NYC
    10 years ago

Ha! You're right, I've had it happen to me - not with Plumerias, with other stuff, but when I saw my photos on a vendors site I found it very funny actually.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just don't like them using other people's photos to deceive unsuspecting buyers - anyone who is legit should have their own photos. That must have been really surprising to see your photos there!

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

James (freak4plumerias) has had many taken and even some given phoney names to go with the stolen pictures. I have also seen some of my pics on other sites and vendors.

• Minderella
    10 years ago

How do you watermark them?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Emily,

Just wanted to thank you again for letting me know..

You are such a sweetheart to keep an eye out for all of us.

Glad to know who's pic that was.. Glad you had my back tho!! Mahalo. my friend!!!

I also have seen my pics on other sites...

Learning how to mark mine.. I sent a beautiful pic of My Saigon Moon to Bud since he gifted this cutting to me. He added my name and my city and returned the pic to me. Don also marks alot of pics for people and he is so nice to do this. I am learning how to Mark them. Photobucket has this option, but it seems that you can buy this and download to your computer to add markings to your pictures.. I just haven't done this yet...

James has a great watermark on his pics.. it goes right across his pic and it is hard for anyone to photoshop this off of his pics... Sad when you have to do this.. It is the only way to protect. I remember when his where stolen.. what a mess....

Thanks again, Emily!!!

Mindy.. It is when you can write your name on the pic when it is printed on the forum or to your photobucket acct. This protects the pic against people stealing your pic so they can't claim it as their own to temp others to buy from their websites. Some people label them with their name on the top or bottom... some go right across the whole pic.. Watermark means you have added your name to the pic to identify it as your own.

Laura

• Minderella
    10 years ago

I wanted to know how to watermark them. Is there a program you buy or is it available in different sites? Thanks Laura.

BTW, all my plumies have leaves and some even have inflos, I cant wait to be able to take pics.

• derft1
    10 years ago

I use a photo editing program. (Corel PaintShop Pro) I can place the name any place on the photo and use any color I like. I do a lot of photo editing. I would suggest you download a FREE program called GIMP. This will allow you to place your name on your photos. Use Youtube tutorials to help you learn how to use the program. It is not that hard to learn. Attached is a pic of my backyard Koi pond waterfall that I labeled with GIMP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUou-Fx_uWM

This post was edited by derft1 on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 11:44

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another violation of our members photos - I have confirmed with Laura this is her photo being used without her permission. A seller I will avoid, for sure.
    They even had the nerve to put their name all over it!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLUMERIA-CUTTING-POPS-1-3-tips-12-22-Deep-Red- CINNAMON-SCENT-MAUI-/370802880120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item56559 2ee78#ht_2929wt_1398

AAARRGHHHHH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Listing with photo used without permission!

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Thank you...just stumbled across this post, but I really appreciate the information!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    10 years ago

Also you can use faststone image resizer. It is a small program that lets you watermark your photos, resize, crop, sharpen, change the contrast, & even rename your photo. You too can chose the font style, color, placement, & opacity of your watermark text too.

10 years ago

Hi Emily,

I have been thinking about this all day as i tried to get my work done and i will say it hasn't left my thoughts at all.

What really bothers me is that this is such a misrepresentation and shows that this company can't be trusted. I pulled my pick that they copied and just had to see for myself if i might have "moved" to Maui? ;-)

Here is the pic that they posted as theirs.. you all can decide. LOL.. Love my screens in the background. I guess they did a great job trying to duplicate all of my trees too!

I am not happy about this and i will email them to let them know that they misused my pic without my permission. The originall pic they have displayed is similar to mine, but i cant confirm ( of the Pops) .. The other pic of my greenhouse and what is in it is 100% MINE!!!!

Grrrr................

here is th pic for those that want to see the real owner of this pic... I just can't believe them..

{{gwi:43332}}

Amazing that Virginia is soooooooooo far away from them eh?

HOW DARE THEM?

Laura

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

I guess growing beautiful plants and taking great pics always has it's risks. The pics on this forum could all be in a magazine and it's so easy to take others pics and call them your own on the internet. I have never had this issue, but I will make sure to watermark my nice pics in the future.

I hope they give you credit for those pics or take them down Laura! It's crazy that things like this happen and I would never even consider buying plants from a person who is dishonest.

Thanks for the heads up!
    -Alex

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful greenhouse... The brand new pots and blooming trees... It looks like a movie set!

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Lopaka has had many of his gorgeous pics stolen and used on EBAY by Thai sellers to sell their junk. Just Plumeria was using one of my pics (Red Dusk), the pic was from 2008, I started watermarking them all after 2009 on, but sometimes I get lazy and end up not marking the pic.
    If everyone watermarked it would be hard for others to steal and reuse your property to defraud others.

I use Photoshop CS6 for my water mark, but you can also use Microsoft word to mark your pics.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Gimp is a good free image app. One suggestion I have is to watermark the picture in the middle or close to the subject as possible. If you mark just the corner or close to the border the thief can simply crop it out.

Oh and the other picture of all the cuttings. They stole that one from Jungle jack.

unfortunately we give up certain rights to images once we upload them, its sad but true.

mike

Here is a link that might be useful: source of stolen image

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

You give up all rights not expressly withheld. Watermarks are the best way. Even hosting sites such as photobucket or Facebook can use your pictures with the scope of their user agreement.

10 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

The pics are gone.

Thank you Emily... i contacted the selller as well as Ebay.

I just checked and they are gone.. mine and JJ's pic.

Mindy...Mike from FPS posted some free sites for Watermarking as well..

Thank you all for all of the info.

Mike (OK) thanks for your link.. great info

K... i know that we post in a public forum, but ebay does say that any pic they post has to be their own. Not taken from another to represent as their own goods... I guess it worked to contact them. But, how many times has this happened without us knowing... it is frustrating. But this is the chancewe take when we publicly post. Doesn't mean it is right, but i still don't like them taking them without permission.

Disney... Thank you for the kind comments. I really appreciate them.

Take care,

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

That's just crazy!

How would someone selling plumeria not be aware of this forum and realize that they could not get away with using Laura's pic, as well as JJ's?

It's too bad they are so untrustworthy. Roxanne was badly wanting a Kapalua.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Laura - if that's your Pop's Red pic, I'm still seeing it.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Moonie...it is very scary trying to find "the real Kapalua"...so now many are saying they have it and yet how can you be sure...years later it blooms and you find it is not one...? sad, roxanne

10 years ago

Hi Mona!

That isn't my Pop's Red, however.. It does look familiar! Lol. I guess the hand in the pic kind of looks like mine, but I think it is someone else's or they changed the color... I can't be sure.. My pop's Red has never bloomed ... I do know that the other pic was mine and of JJ's. Sad that they have to use others pics to misrepresent their products... I will keep watching them just in case.

It bothers me because we keep our photobucket pics open for our friends, only to have them taken for commercial profit. I don't mind if someone wants to use any of my pics as long as they ask or give me credit.

Rox... I hope you find what you are looking for.. I would be sure to buy from a reputable seller. I do have a Kapalua and I am so excited to see it bloom this summer. A good friend gifted this to me and I can't be happier. ;-)

I know another friend on another forum who was selling them a few months ago in one gallon containers, I will let her know you want one. I trust her.

Have a great night everyone!

Laura

• rox146
    10 years ago

To gift a plumeria is true "Island Style" ..when thieves snap them off your poor limbs in the front of your house...may the pele gods get them eventually... :-) roxanne

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Laura. I just wanted to apologize to you. I owe you a phone call. Anyhow to hear that someone stole your picture is really sad. I am sorry to here this happened to you but I am very happy to here that Ebay corrected it and removed your photo.

Well time for me to shower and get to bed. I will unwind by reading for a few hours. Today Jose and I started taking some of my jungle outdoors. LMAO!

• animalcraker
    10 years ago

Is it just me or is this same seller photoshopping individual blooms to make them look like they're in the girls hair? The Wildfire is the worst of them, but the other photos with the same girl look a bit off as well.

-Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay listing for Wildfire

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

LOL That is a terrrible photoshop job.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling