Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sflgplume

A few bloom pics to get you all psyched for the season :)

sflgplume
11 years ago

Happy Monday, all!

Just wanting to share a few photos--the warm weather is finally here and it's obvious that my trees are pleased about it. The inflos are developing more rapidly now. What a great time of year!

For those of you who may have seen the photo of Waimea I posted on the Facebook Addicts, that inflo got even better a few days later...just jaw-dropping:

My white noID gets lovelier each season:

Jefferson Gold is blooming for the first time...this is an outstanding flower!

Love the little dimple on the ends of the petals.

Veracruz Rose got to be too much tree for me to handle in a pot, so I put it in the ground--it seems very happy:

There's more coming soon! Have a great week, everyone.

Greg

Comments (21)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Hi Greg! Thanks for posting the pics... particularly Waimea. I won one on ebay last night and it has an inflo. Generally, I don't like to purchase one with an inflo. Who knows if it will survive the USPS or the unpotting/repotting ordeal, then it becomes heartbreaking. :)

I will agree that your noid white is very lovely. Mine appears to be getting ready to push an inflo or else I'm just impatiently over-optimistic. Although it's only a white, last year it bloomed the entire season. Can't beat that, huh?

VCR are so beautiful but I feel like I will be sorry should I get such a beast, don't you think? :)

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mona!

Nice to be chatting with you. Congrats on your Waimea! I totes agree with respect to the plants that already have inflos. I acquired Donald Angus recently. This tree had an inflo; it has not dropped but it's about to "bloom": teeny, tiny blooms LOL Nothing at all like it will be in future years. It may well be better to wait...but OTOH, blooms are blooms, right? :)

No, one can't beat a tree that blooms all season! Here's hoping that your noID will be as generous this year. My white noID is so lovely--when the sun hits the flowers, it glows like a crown! It's a terrific sight from up here on the terrace.

VCR: what a monster. No, I can't imagine "containing" that tree, pun intended :) This is why I have not gotten India, although the flowers do look great. I'm glad that I had a space for my VCR, and that I live in a climate that permits me to let it flourish...but for those of you farther north, no, I don't know how it would be possible. It grows like a weed.

One more to share this morning: Lilikoi! This bloom is amazing, and smells very exotic...haven't nailed it down yet, but it's very nice:

Gorgeous and unusual lime-yellow, huh? Love!

Glad you enjoyed, can't wait to see yours as well!

Greg

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Greg,

Thanks for the gorgeous pics and bringing up the scent of Lilikoi though of course I'm cursing you since now I'm curious about it. :)

Also thanks for the tip about VCR since I've always wanted one but knowing how large it gets definitely deters us container growers.

-Robert

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Son, mama's coming for a visit! LOL

Seriously, you always have such lovely blooms to share with us. Lilikoi is just gorgeous! Knowing how scent crazy Robert is, I imagine he is at this very moment trying to google the scent and putting Lilikoi on his must have list. Just kidding Robert! :)

On that last pic, is that a new Lilikoi leaf unfurling? Loving the reddish tones.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Ha, Moonie! You know me well. ;)
    I did look up Lilikoi...until I saw the price!

Greg,

Perhaps it has a passion flower scent since its name is passion fruit in Hawaii?

-Robert

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mona and Robert,

Thanks to both of you :) Robert, if my memory serves me correctly, I believe I remember 1-stop Matt saying that the name does refer to passion fruit, but it was the color, not the scent...but I could easily be wrong. At any rate, I wouldn't know the scent of a passion flower if it hit me upside the head LOL whatever the scent is, it's beautiful, and strikes me as unique.

Yes, this tree was expensive, but worth every penny. I did get it for less than the current price...I'm beginning to miss the days of JL trees on eBay...

Thanks again, guys! Happy growing :)

G

• DelWH
    11 years ago

I have grown lilikoi (passion fruit) for years and the flowers are showy, but have little if any scent. The fruit however has a very exotic scent and a bowl full will really scent up a room nicely. Plus the taste is exquisite.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Dear Greg,

My head is hurting after i have been "head banging" my computer.. My head is spinning at the beauty of your Waimea... SIgh.

What are you doing with this many gorgeous blooms? Time to send the "Plumeria Gods" north.. eh?

How have you been my friend? Love all of the pics and yes, my head still hurts..

I have a few indentations.. LMAO.. Maybe DH will finally call the wagon on me. Oh.. all of my trees are outside and i do have a few inflos. My seed pods on Leela, Wizard and Psycho are about 8-10 inches long and some are double sided. ;-) I like that!!! Had to put some twine on them in case im not at home and they decide to open. They have been doing well all winter and started to deepen in color, so i think it won't be to long before they open.

Hope all is well with you down in beautiful Florida!!

Mona and DEl... You are tempting me to look at lilikoi, but i will hold strong.. lol until tomorrow.. Good luck and please show pictures.. i would love to see this gem!!!

Enjoy those beauties!!

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Very nice to see some flowers. Nice work.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Consider me thoroughly PSYCHED! Greg, as usual you are way ahead of the crowd! Matt should give you a cut of his auctions since your photos undoubtedly drive up the prices on the exotics like Lilikoi. Lord knows I tried to get a Kona Candy and had no luck!

I don't know why I held out on Waimea so long, but am so glad I have it now! Thanks for the pick-me-up.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Yes, Greg, tell us.

Are you getting a commission on EBay sales??

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Hi Greg,

Great to see some blooms to the south! You aren't really doing that white NOID justice by calling it a NOID... you should just make up a name for her :)

This was an interesting winter/spring at least here in St. Pete. The winter was very mild but our March was more like the "winter" we didn't have. Everything in my yard was so ready to bust out a month ago, but the heat didn't kick in until recently (and now it is like 90.) It is a cliche here in FL as you know but I truly feel like we went from winter directly into summer this year!

Brian

• pcput
    11 years ago

Beautiful as always Greg! How about posting an ugly pic just so we can appreciate that yours are like everyone else's. Just kidding! I hope I have something to take pics of this year. It looks like it's going to be a good year as lots of people are talking of all the inflos this year. I'll be happy just to get mine out. Peg

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Great pics! I see some inflos coming up from my plumerias indoors which I'm not sure is good or bad thing since they always bloom much stronger when the blooms are made outdoors.
    I can't wait for summer, these pics definitely get me looking forward to a nice season of blooms.
    Thanks for sharing.
    -Alex

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all of you! I'm pleased that the photos had the intended effect. Sounds like everyone is psyched for bloom season (especially Jen! LOL). I am always grateful for the break that dormancy brings, but this time of year is truly the best :) I look forward to seeing all of yours!

Jen, there's a reason that I'm way ahead of everyone: it's latitude, plain and simple! But that's why I love it here. Glad to hear that you got Waimea! Yah mon :)

Kaneohe Sunrise bloomed this afternoon while I was away...I had to go down and view it after dark this evening with my "miner's helmet" LOL but obviously, no pic yet. Here's another of Jeff Gold, which positively glows with the apricot blush:

Stops me in my tracks every time!

Nice to see all of my friends on here--keeping it short for tonight, since it's late. We'll be conversing here much more in the months ahead! No eBay commissions, Dave and Jen...but I do appreciate the compliment! Jeez, ya know, when JL plants were on eBay, one at least had a prayer of getting a decent price...now they're all just really, really expensive...as Archie and Edith Bunker said, "those were the days!"

Night, everyone.

Greg

• cruz_cubierta
    11 years ago

Hi Greg,
    All your plumerias are beautiful !!! I'm a newbie and would like to know if you use Epson Salts with your plumies.
    Thanks,

• cruz_cubierta
    11 years ago

Sorry, forgot to put my zone, county is Miami-Dade, Thanks

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Cruz,

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for the kind words. You'll find lots of friendly, knowledgeable people on this forum who love to share what they've learned, and who also love to contribute to each others' addictions--consider yourself warned.

You're in Dade, so we're neighbors. I choose to identify my county because our state is so large--Tallahassee is something like 400 miles away, right? Anyway, plumeria are pretty easy where we live. They're not fussy, so all we have to do is protect them from the occasional winter cold front, and feed and water them when they're growing.

To answer your question, I do not use epsom salts. However, some on here do use them at the beginning of the season. I think it depends on the growing conditions in each grower's backyard. Epsom salts provide magnesium and sulfur, and I have no indication that my plants are deficient in either of those particular minerals.

I continuously feed (IOW, at every watering), low dosages of Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro 9-3-6, along with Dyna-Gro ProteKt 0-0-3 and Super Thrive. Because the two fertilizers provide full-spectrum nutrition (NPK + all micronutrients), I don't ever worry that I have a deficiency in any one particular nutrient. Great stuff!

I also foliar feed at extremely low dosages the same with Spray-N-Grow added. This is NOT necessary but I do it because it gives me an excuse to hang out near my trees, truth be told.

A search on this forum should yield all kinds of helpful information, but if you want to ask more questions, by all means, feel free. Good luck and happy growing!

Greg

• cruz_cubierta
    11 years ago

Greg,
    Thanks for your tips on fertilizers, well noted for next time I go to HD.
    I've been reading all the postings and I think we both feel so lucky for our climate, and that we don't have to move them to the garage every time temperatures go below freezing.
    I have a question: I have a 7 year old plumie which hasn't flowered, why ?
    Regards from M-Dade

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a heads up: other than Super Thrive, you won't find any of the products I mentioned at HD...you will find them on eBay and Amazon, though. Well worth the search.

Regarding your 7-yr-old tree...that's a long time with no flowering for sure. Does it get a lot of sun? Plumeria definitely need full to mostly sun in order to flower vigorously. If it does get full sun, then I'm not sure why it hasn't bloomed by now. If it's in a container and hasn't been root-pruned in 7 years, that could do it too. Or maybe it's just a stingy bloomer...in which case, I'd replace it with a more generous cultivar--life is short, after all.

Hope this helps.

G

• cruz_cubierta
    10 years ago

Hi Greg:

Again, need your help ! Just found 3 huge cuttings or trees.

My question is: Can I plant them with this changes of weather?.

Thanks,

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH