Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It is time!

Posted by kevphol DFW, TX (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 10:55

Hope all is well with the Plumie addicts here! I am anxiously awaiting this weekend when I plan to move all my plants from their winter resting place in my garage out to my patio. These include about 40 plumies, some Aloe Vera, Agave and a "Boat Lily, or Oyster Plant" that Luc at Florida Colors gave me when I was visiting several years ago. He pulled it right out of the ground saying it was a "weed" that hurricaine Andrew brought to Florida and handed it to me. I brought it back to Texas and have had it ever since!

I wintered my plants in my spare garage with halogen lights on for warmth but decided to give them 12 hours of light every day regardless of temps out. The result was leaf growth starting in December (pic below) and now multiple inflos already on multiple plants! I had a poor blooming year last year for some reason but it looks like I'm off to a good start this year! Happy Spring everyone!

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It is time!

Nice set up Kevin. I bet the electric company will send you a thank you card. :)

I think you are on to something in the sense of waiting until the hours of sunlight is comparable to the hours of light you were giving them while stored before bringing them outside.

o

Very nice set up you have -those shelves are such great extra stroage too!

o

Looks like my garage!

o

Nice setup Kevin!
Moved mine from a bedroom to outside last weekend.
Yesterday's freeze warning scared me, but we only got down to 44 degrees. Hopefully, that's the end of the cold weather in TX!!!

Lonnie

o

blooms! Yeah!

Lonnie, I see your bugmansia are doing great.

San Antonio was below freezing in some areas, 51 here this am. I am ready, and so are the plummies for HEAT!
Tally HO!

o

Kevin, nice to see you back here! Looking forward to more pics. Yep, that's going to be my garage next winter, minus the lights.

Lonnie, all your brug cuttings rooted and made it through winter except Inca Sun. Even Galaxy, which died back to a tiny 2" nub, is sprouting out and looks like it'll make it. Thanks again! I passed a few cuttings of my own on, and if yours thrive, I'll be sharing those, too!

Wonderful to finally have Spring here in Texas! Good growing, everybody!

o

looking good Lonnie!!

Yours too Kevin!! Great job!!!

Your set up looks like mine!!

Your little protector is doing his job, i see... ;-)

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!

Laura

o

Anticipation!

o

lookin good guys

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here