Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Broken Katie Moragne Progress

elucas101
9 years ago

As many of you know, my Katie Moragne was assaulted by the post office and that resulted in a severe break. The top was only attached by a very small bit that remained connected.

I left the top attached for several weeks to see if it would have a chance to recover and maybe still get some moisture from the main part to keep it strong in the process and also to callus as well as possible.

This is the break after callusing for a few weeks - the lighting is off, it's not dark at all, it's a very light, very good looking callus.

It was hard to tell exactly how much it was still connected, as by the time I received it the sap had dried and I couldn't pull the top back too much. I began to realize it was connected enough that it must be providing moisture because it wasn't wrinkling at all, and the last few days I began to notice it was clawing. So...I figured, it's time. It's hard to tell in the pic but in person I can tell. Not the greatest pic but this is one of the tips starting to claw:

Front view of clawing:

I was hesitant to do it but I knew it had to be done. I snipped the top off and got a good look at the connection. You can see the part that is callused and the part where it was attached.
Top part (again, the color is actually a clean cream color):

Bottom part:

Although that area that was connected isn't that large, I really debated on whether to pot it up or let it sit longer. I decided to go for it and pot it up. I dipped the bottom in rooting hormone & was about to put it in a clear bottle when all the sudden I realized I was missing the most obvious solution: The mother ship. Although I won't be able to see the roots I thought it would give the tip the best chance.

Feeling hopeful!

Comments (7)

• phalanx_viridis
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! cool to see your process and incredible to see your cutting's resiliency and tenacity for life!

Cheers to that!

• elucas101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, it's a learning experiment for me and I'm really curious to see what the top part does - in Jim Little's book he shows a way of callusing / rooting where just a 'hinged' portion of the branch was left attached to the mother tree and he says it can be left there basically indefinitely if still getting enough nourishment from the mother tree.

Since I knew I was not going to be able to graft it, I felt it was my best chance for saving the top. I think that because the top had moisture going to it the whole time it was callusing, it may have a little better chance of hanging in there long enough to root. I think it surely made a better callus too :)

Since the bottom part is rooted, I know it will be ok, it's essentially a 'center cut' now but it is alive and well! I have read several people saying cuttings seems to root well when placed with the mother plant so maybe that will help it a bit as well. I'll definitely let you all know what happens since this is a first for me!

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Emily, it looks great! It should root for you since our weather is now perfect, too.

Keep us updated!

• No-Clue
    9 years ago

Hats off to you Emily! They look really good! I have a center cutting and it's sprouting limbs everywhere! So I think she will be fine. :)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

E,
    I remember reading somewhere about a similar method of callusing on the tree. Maybe it was the JL book.

• pcput
    9 years ago

"Congrats" Emily, on your new addition! It looks great and I'm sure it will do well. Send you an email. Peg

• citizen_insane
    9 years ago

Hi Emily,
    the chances of rooting that little piece of Katie Moragne are extremely low. Katie Moragne is one of the hardest varieties to root. So, a very short piece is most likely doomed.

If I was you I would graft that little piece using the 'V' method onto a seedling or some other plant. Your chances of success if you graft improve dramatically.

George

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz