Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

jandey1
11 years ago

Thank you, all you seasoned plumeria growers--Bill, Laura, Dave, James, K, George, and so many others--for always giving your advice so generously! It's given the rest of us the confidence to grow these amazing flowers.

With your help I now know that bottom heat and a good callus are all you need to root, no matter how you provide them, lol:

Thank you to the late Elizabeth Thornton, for bringing these wonderful plants to the mainland, and for sharing her exquisite seedlings with the world. Here are two of her babies, which are putting out my first inflos this year:
Maverick

Lemon Drop

Thank you to my plumeria friends who have so generously provided me cuttings and plants!

Wendy at Double Peak picked out this fabulous plumie for me, and I can hardly wait to see these Desert Sunrise blooms:

And Peg kindly sent me my only blooming cutting, too:

Thank you to my family, who patiently puts up with my obsession, and even pulls out the power tools to build my seedling nursery:

You all are amazing people, and my life would be less delightful without you!

Jen

Comments (15)

• rox146
    11 years ago

Jandey, you certainly have a very nice set up....roxanne

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I can't see your pictures until I get home, I can't wait!!!!

(And thank you to the sun who finally decided to make some appearances!!!)

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Jen,

what a lovely post this is...I second your thanks to our friends, and send you a big "woo-HOO!!" for all the blooms that you will be sharing before long!

Greg

• joanr
    11 years ago

Jen,

I also second your "thank you". I have learned soooo much from reading this forum. I may not post as much as some but I am definitely reading each and every post. I have tried some suggestions and keep doing what works for me. My plumerias give me so much joy although when you have amassed over 200 it is a chore bring them out of the greenhouse, repotting what needs to be potted, and giving them Superthrive and Seaweed Extract (thanks Bill for that good advice) to get them started. But once that is all done I can sit back and enjoy the show :)

And WOOHOO, my Golden Pagoda has an inflo. I will post pictures when it blooms. Can hardly wait for that one.

Thanks again everyone for the wonderful advice given so freely on this forum.

Joan

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Jen,

Love all the pics!

That Lemon Drop (is this Thorton's?) shape is amazing.
    It puts most of my single tip young cuttings to shame. Laugh.

Glad your family humors you. ;)

-Robert

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Hope you and your family make another trip out sometime. Enjoyed your son very much. Plants are much bigger this year. Thanks for the thanks. Bill

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Glad and very appreciative to be part of this post and for the friends I have found here. Right back at ya...J! R did a great job on those beds. Very nice. Little K and I were inspecting the bevy of Desert Bird of Paradise seeds you gave us. So far 4 have come out. I'll second Bill's comment on H.

Look forward to the Maverick pictures when they come. is it just me or do you have a "TLD" on your TLD? As if you didn't know which one it is.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Great photos! We expect to see many, many more with gorgeous inflos in full bloom!

Those are amazing raised beds!

Where in Texas are you again? Texas is larger than many countries. LOL!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Looking great Jen,

Wont be long and you will have lots and lots of flowers!

take care
    mike

• jandey1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Greg and Joan, I'm looking forward to more pics from you two! Golden Pagoda is intriguing. You don't see that one much, and I bet it gets very prominent points in the Houston heat. Joan, maybe you hire a little crew of teenagers every Spring Break to help you out with those 200 trees!

Can't wait to see the blooms that are developing here, and you bet I'll post when I get a chance.

Robert, that Lemon Drop is Thornton's and one of only a few big ones I have. It's certainly the "branchiest". That's what you can look forward to in a few more years!

Bill, our little guy gets us invited back to a lot of places! We would all love to go back to CA soon. Will definitely let you know if we get a chance.

K, glad the seeds are coming up for you; they're the perfect flowers for a Texas drought! Yes, that is TLD on the tree because my memory is just THAT bad, lol. Sometimes I abbreviate and then ask myself, "Now what the heck does that stand for again?"

Dave, thanks for the compliments! I'm in Austin. We're 8b but I've seen at least one big plumeria tree kept in the ground all winter in my neighborhood. It can be done in a sheltered spot with frost cloth since our freezes are all short-lived.

Mike, I found another possible oh-please-let-it-be inflo today, so I feel like I won the lottery! Hope you also have a great bloom year!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Jen!!!

OMG Thornton Maverick inflo!! YES....i have you to thank for mine and i just love this beauty!!!

All of your pics are just beautiful and i love how your DH made the beds for your new trees!! How sweet!! ;-)

This post was so touching to read and all i can say is that i just really enjoy everyone on this forum!! We all learn from each other and this is how we share our knowledge..its all about what is best for our trees. Looking and reading as well as listening with an open mind is the best for us as well as our lovely trees.

You have been one that gives great advise to others quite often and i know everyone loves to see you post and help with their questions.. You always have a way to explain and be so patient with everyone. YOU are the one who "shines..."

Thank you for the kind words..

i have learned so much from so many here and that includes YOU!!! So, Thank you!!!!

Wanted to let you know that your beauty is starting to show some activity!! YES!!! i am so happy!!!

Thanks again.. You are so special!!! ;-)

Take Care,

Laura

• pcput
    11 years ago

Thank you Jen for staring this thread. I agree so many GREAT people on here with great info and so willing to share. I won't thank you all by name as I'm sure I would leave someone out, "So Thank You All for being such a great group." I'm so glad I found this group and started posting (Thank You Laura and Dave who had me email Laura). Peg

• georgecc
    11 years ago

And Jandey, I want to thank you for all the great and helpful responses you've given me. We half-joked once about stopping and asking WWJD (What Would Jandey Do) when pressed with a big decision, but there was a lot of truth in the sentiment. Whenever I post (or go plumeria shopping!), I can't wait to get a response from you - it's always helpful, witty and motivating. So I want to let you know that I'm thankful for you! I have a feeling this year is going to be a fun year, I'm aching for a long plumeria blooming season.

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura, I am so please we're raising Maverick "siblings" together! You're the reason I'm so excited to smell those babies when they open up! Thank you for the lovely comments--right back atcha!

Peg, you're right--this forum is full of wonderful people, including you!

I finally sucked it up and cut the inflo off your cutting to give the roots a chance to develop. Wouldn't you know, the other tip is pushing an inflo, too, lol.

George, your comments absolutely made my day--thank you! It's very kind of you to say so. I always look forward to the photos of your gorgeous garden! For a newbie, you sure have amassed a great collection. Keep the car dirty for those last minute "adoptions", LOL!

• pcput
    10 years ago

Sorry Jen! I didn't know it would be determined to bloom. Think of what a nice tree it will be next year with all the new tips. The mother tree is always full of blooms in Nov. when we see it each year. I'll be seeing it in a couple of weeks so will be the first time in spring. I'll shoot you a pic. Peg