Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socal_seahawk

Watering Question

SoCal.Seahawk
10 years ago

Hi Everyone.
I'm a newbie to, not just this site, but growing plumeria's in general. Truth be told, I've never really been convicted of having much of a green thumb, so go "easy"! :)
Here are a few pictures of the plumeria's that I currently have. I'm up in Anaheim Hills and the weather has been mostly moderate (daytime temps: 75 - 90* and night temps around 50*. Everything I've ever read says that during the "winter" the leaves will die and fall off and you should stop watering until the leaves return in the spring / summer. But with the temps being so warm this year, I felt guilty for not watering, but there are no leaves. Should I continue watering (I've been giving them each a healthy drink 1x a week) or should I stop? I fear that they have started to rot because I've been watering them.

Any help would be great!

Thank you.

Comments (4)

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

Hi and welcome!

You can check the firmness of the plumeria just above the soil line to see if it is mushy or soft (which would indicate rot). Honestly, though, your plants don't look that different than many of mine, and I'm not very far away from your location. I have some larger plumeria that never quite went to sleep this winter, and so they are putting out new leaves already, but most of my smaller ones are just not awake yet. I don't think that our yo-yo-ing temps have helped (90 one day, 68 the next).

I've been watering mine about on the same schedule as yours. As long as your planting medium is well-draining, I wouldn't worry too much. Like others on this forum have said, I've noticed that the tips of the branches start to look shiny or wet before leaves start growing, so you can also check for that.

The one thing that I would watch out for are those little ones in the black nursery pots. Those pots will get so hot in the sun, and if you're not careful, can cook the roots. If you don't want to repot them, just get a larger ceramic pot and double-pot the smaller one inside. I put mulch in between the two pots to act as insulation. That method has the added bonus of not letting the plant tip over if it gets windy!

I noticed a Jungle Jacks tag - which plumes do you have?

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Hey there! Your plants are looking good! The only thing I would add to daogirl's excellent advice is to raise up the ones with a lot of space in the pot as that extra space in the pot can heat up and really add heat to your stems or sunburn them. It will also give their roots some more room to grow which they will really need this season.

When they are on the dry side, I would gently coax them out of the pot, add your well draining mix at the bottom & just put them right back in there.

Yes, we all want to know which JJ's you have! And also your other varieties / colors if you know them!

• SoCal.Seahawk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to you both!
    And thanks for the tip on the black pots, I had never heard that before.
    As far as the varieties I have - although there are a couple that I'm unsure of (Because they were unlabeled cuttings or haven't bloomed yet - and there are several of those!) but here are the ones I DO know:
    Hilo Beauty, "Rose", JJ - Premium Pink, JJ - Premium Rainbow and Guillot Sunset. I've actually only seen 1 bloom out of the whole bunch! Hopefully this summer will be different. What kind do you each have? You're around this area close to me?

• stampstudio73137 kemp
    10 years ago

Picture is of one of my orchids in bloom. The Plumeria are leafing very nice now. Weather is crazy as it seems as one day 90 next day 50 The
    adeniums are leafing nice also.
    I have over a 1000 plants total and always something blooming. 3 lathhouses one is a sort of greenhouse.
    Bill Kemp

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor