Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
southern cal. cutting sale

Posted by rox146 none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 11:46

Okay, afraid to ask....BUT, anyone going to the San Diego cutting sale? (April 5th and 6th) The list looks really tempting. roxanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: southern cal. cutting sale

What bloom is that? Beautiful colors!! ;-)
Wish I could go but have plans ;(

Chuy

o

Oh boy don't show me the list Rox! I'm still working on thinning out my collection.

My biggest regret is not listening to Bil! :(

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 15:49

Its probably a good thing we dont have sales like you all do. I would be in trouble.

No-clue. I did listen to Bill. I got a bigger yard with more room. LOL.

mike

o

LOL @ Mike. That's a good one! Unfortunately for me we just bought a house last year so it doesn't look like I can trade up any time soon for a bigger yard. Unless I'm willing to go further inland...but we love where we are.

But you're right we're so close to so many temptations, it's hard for an addict to resist! :(

o

Chuy, if I am remembering right, it was Waimea after a temperature change...my wants from the sale are: Eclipse,Inca Gold, Princess Victoria, Starlight, temple Fire, Texas Fiesta , Tropical Storm and Xquisite....any one have pros/cons on any of those as cuttings? roxanne

o

Aloha Roxanne,
Princess Victoria is usually a Metairie Pink that has a color break virus, so it does not always exhibit the break. Temple Fire which is a JJ's plumie will look yellowish with a pretty eye in a cool coastal area, if you do happen to heat up you may get the more colorful edges,etc. Eclipse, is it the JJ's one or JL's.. I have the JL one. Xquisite I bought last year and has not bloomed as of yet but the plant does well in So Cal.

Everything on your list sounds fantastic though.
Happy shopping if your going to the sale.

Aloha

o

Hi,

Ok I got curious so I looked up the cultivar list and they have Kaleinani listed aka U of H Orange?!

So all this time I was looking for Kaleinani when in fact I had it all along; U of H Orange that is. But I got rid of U of H Orange last year! I'm so confused. Upland calls U of H Orange John John.

Can some one confirm this for me?

Thank you!

o

I have a list of AKA from the SoCal group that lists John-John the same as University of Hawaii Orange. ..this is the first I have heard that Kaleinani is the same as that would mean I now have 3 all the same...GGGRRRR... :-) roxanne

o

No Clue,
I read on several other places that UHO, Kaleinani, and John John were the same. Someone had all 3 plants and stated they were identical, go figure.

o

What a beautiful bloom, Rox !! You anyways capture the beauty in everything...

Well.. If they are right about them being the same, I have doubles too !! ;-)

Have a great time at the sale. You have a lot of great varieties on your list!!

Laura

o

Laura, that is IF I am able to hit the sale.... :-(

o

And many mahalos Kimo.... I will scratch a few of those off the list after what you said. I would have to "shoe horn" them in any way. roxanne

o

P.S. Kimo, what area are you in? It is the JJ Eclipse they have for sale. roxanne

o

I wish I could go!!!

Roxanne - If you don't find a cutting of Inca Gold, it was also one of the JJ plumeria that Home Depot/Lowes carried last year (that's where I got mine) ... so maybe it'll show up again this season!

o

Ok good. Kaleinani was the only reason I was going to go. But if she's the same as U of H Orange then I don't have to now. Phew!

o

I am now looking so forward to the Lowes frenzy that I have figured a way to hit 3-4 Lowes in 1 day and 2 Home Goods....YES....let the games begin...in June that is. roxanne

o

There were a lot at my HD too! You should be able to get some great deals! What are you looking for so I can keep an eye out for you?

o

no clue, you are so nice to supervise the look out...Safari, CS3, Inca Gold, Fusion, Incognito, Fools Gold, Jenny, and Xquisite.....cannot wait for June, the thrill of the hunt...mahalos

o

p.s. and of course Orotai... :-)

o

Roxanne, talk to George.

o

Yes, I did and understand you will be the first in line that day... :-)

o

Rox,

I'm selling my Safari. Sonja and I are planning our joint sale event on April 27th. Please join us if you're around! PM me if you want our plants list for the pre-sale.

As the rest on your list you might find Inca Gold at HD or Lowe's but not the others. I don't think John is mass producing them at this time so you will have to go get them directly from him. Currently he's sold out in Xquisite. He will have the Xquisite in 2 Gal size by May so many are pre ordering right now.

Hope that helps a little.

Lynn

o

Lynn, Many Mahalos...have other things going on the 27th...pooh! roxanne

o

may the "force be with all of you" at today and tomorrow's sale....

o

Many Mahalos Allison for purchasing for me....cannot wait... roxanne

o

It was fun, Roxanne. You should come down for the rooted plant sale at the end of the summer, now that's a scene!

o

That is what I always want to do and cannot believe it is over Labor Day weekend. Hope you make it up here when Laura and Peg come. Thanks again for the time and effort you put into getting me Mary Nicholson and Texas Fiesta. Those were rated really well in the AKA list I printed out from the San Diego group 2 years ago. George did well on the call for JL Hawaiian at the next day sale/meeting. You 2 must have been really busy and on the road. Again, many mahalos, roxanne

o

Rox,

You are so sweet!!! Mahalo!!!

I wanted to share some information that was just shared with me.. This is from Diana's notes...

Kaleinani aka Kaulanani, Kauanani, Schmidt Gold. Hawaiian. Intense golden yellow with a deep reddish-orange center 3". Slightly sweet frangipani
fragrance and has a very heavy flower production. Keeping quality is very good. Pale orange on thin branches. Large clusters of very sweetly scented, golden orange, 3-3.5" with reddish edges. Under very hot conditions, appears almost solid orange. Medium growth. Golden appearance because of slightly grainy orange to pink edged petals which are mildly overlapped. Looks like a cross between Kimo and Paul Weissich. Orange gold center and the light red streaks on the edges. The scent was very fruity in the first few hours, reminiscent of ripe cherimoya, then more faint but still fruity. Younger plants tend to have red veins in the leaves. 3" golden orange with a deep red orange center. Narrow oval petals slightly overlap and curl upwards on the edges. Very sweet scent and large clusters. Large bloom heads.

University of Hawaii Orange aka John John. in the cooler temps does get the vivid orange and red. Orange cast but by the 2nd day, it fades to a yellow. Slow growing. U of H Orange was never released by the University of Hawaii as Richard stated last year, I’m not sure where the name U of H Orange came from, but it makes a good story, “A cutting was stolen for a private U of H collection”. Needs heat to bring out colors. Can get black tip

Thought I would share.

I'm glad I kept both!!! ;-)

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here