Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Started Plumeria Cutting/s

birdsnblooms
11 years ago

Howdy,

A few months ago I started a thread about one Plumeria cutting and was given many greats tips here on this forum.

Because I live in IL, I decided it best to hold off rooting until days grew longer.

In the meantime, while browsing Ebay, I came across a Variegated Plumeria called 'Arrow.' Leaves are, or will be shaped like, yellow and green arrows; cutting is grafted.

Before I knew what was happening, my fingers clicked on, 'Buy Now,' which is how I ended up with a second Plumeria cutting. lol

I potted both cuttings in well-draining soil.

My question, is there anything more that should be done? Fertilizing? Type of light? Etc.

Here are pics of both cuttings.

HI P. cutting

Thailand cutting

Thanks, Toni

Comments (26)

• HeyBuddy123
    11 years ago

Just warmth and sunlight until you see leaves.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

It sounds like you've got the right idea! Now the hard part is not messing with it until it has leaves! Just like HeyBuddy says, just give it as much sun and warmth as you can. Don't water it until you see a few leaves fully formed. No fertilizer until more established as well. You can mist the tips once it starts "clawing" but other than that you shouldn't do anything except test your patience waiting LOL!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Buddy. About light. We haven't had any sun to speak of the last five days..All clouds and rain.
    Plumerias are in a south window, near a standard light bulb.
    Gro-Lights are in other rooms, but they're pretty chilly.

Elucas. I watered twice..darn! The second time soil was so dry it cracked, which is the reason it was given a drink. Hope they don't rot.
    Waiting to water isn't a problem. What is a problem is worrying roots aren't getting enough moisture now that I now know not to water again..lol.
    I see a little green on both Plumerias. Misting claws will be done.

Wish I'd known about warmth. I could have placed pots on heating mats. Is it too late?

Jen, the grafted Plumeria has roots. They were fairly dry upon arrival, so hope they're healthy/alive.

Size between root stock and graft is 8.5". Good or bad?

Wish I had clear pots for all my plants..They're great checking soil for dryness, and inspecting roots.

If you have time, please let me know if I should place on heating mats. If a heating mat would benefit, what about plastic dome w/vents? Thanks so much...Toni

• elucas101
    11 years ago

YES on the heat mat!!! Absolutely. They LOVE bottom heat. And as for the watering, if the cutting has some roots then I think you're ok to water sparingly when it dries out - it's the one without roots you have to not water. If there are no roots there's nothing to absorb the water. Wet + cold = rot. And you have really good drainage in those containers, right? You did say you had well draining soil so I'm thinking you do. They like a good drink but hate sitting in water. So I think you're off to a good start, if you're not sure just keep asking questions, everyone here is very helpful!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Ok I got 4 cuttings from Upland Nursery this weekend. I'm researching on how to pot them.

I keep hearing heating pad? Do you mean the one you put on your back? If so I already have a huge one I can use... except it turns off after 60 minutes so I would have to turn it back on every hour! If not where does one get this "heating pad" everyone is referring to? Thank you!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

It's a "heat mat", they are specifically designed for seedlings and cuttings. Heating pads aren't designed to run for a long period of time. You can find cheap ones on ebay, just type in "heat mat" and you should find what you are looking for. ;)

BTW, what type of cuttings did you get from Upland Nursery? I bought 2 from them and they are plump and healthy, one is already putting out leaves, which some are 5-4 inch now an it hasn't been a month yet (short 2 days). Good luck with yours! :)

• animalcraker
    11 years ago

Toni- The size difference I was refering to was the width. Sorry for the misunderstanding. From your picture it looks like the root stock is alot thicker than the cutting they grafted to it.

Cuttings always benefit from additional heat, esspecially bottom heat. If you already have a heat pad with extra space go ahead and put your cuttings on it. With heat mats you want to make sure you get one specifically designed for gardening. Heat pad and blankets for other uses are not water proof and can short out or worse when you water your plants.

A rule of thumb for watering plumeria is that whenever you're unsure if you should water wait a week. They do significantly better with neglect than they do with constant care and a pesky gardner that won't leave them alone.

~Jen

A rule of thumb for watering

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Thank you Kim! I will order a heat mat!

As for cuttings from Upland Nursery... I think I got

Love
    Janada
    Guillot Sunset
    Zee

I also got Charlotte Ebert from them too... and paid an arm and a leg for it. But I am loving it so it's all good. Thanks! :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Looking good Toni!!!

I cant wait to see them take off on you!!!

Great Job!!!

Take care,

Laura

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Toni- Your grafted plant should have had roots which is the point of grafting. The root stock should have rooted well before the grafting was done. If it does not have roots the deal is questionable. With roots you keep the soil damp, without roots you let it dry out until leaves form.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello..Yesterday, Thurs, I spent 15 mins typing a response, then my puter froze! lol.

Elucas...I placed the rootless Plumeria on a heating mat. Hope it's not too late. It's been a while since first placed in soil.

All my plants are in well-draining soil, so yes, both Plumerias will not sit in mud.

Right, duh, no roots to absorb water, lol.

Jen, you're right..The graft is at least twice as thick as the cutting. Is that a problem???

The good news is, 'I just looked at grafted Plumeria to check width,' the grafted is sprouting leaves..YES!!:)

LOL, no, I have heating mats for plants, not the type for a back ache, lol. Although we have a heat mat for aches too.
    I used to sow seeds for annuals, so I bought a couple mats years ago. One has a dome, with vents. Supposed to increase humidity. Would using the dome help?

Jen, would you say, watering Plumeria is similiar to watering succulents?
    If so, only when w/o roots or after it's rooted, too?

HI Laura!! Haven't seen you around for ages..Did you go on vacation or elsewhere? Hope you haven't been ill. It's great seeing you again.
    I was thinking about you when I started this thread. :)

Laura, like I said above, the grafted Plumeria is starting to show green, but it's soooo tiny..Some would need a magnifying glass to see it, lol.

Great seeing you again.

Tdog. Yes, the grafted Plumeria has roots..some anyway. Then again, I don't have any idea how long Plumeria roots get, so can't compare if they're mature or new roots.

Thanks everyone. To be honest, I'm a little concerned about the first cutting. 'without roots.' It's been potted quite a while, yet no growth.
    I don't want to remove from it's pots in case there are new roots forming.

When I started the first thread, a few people didn't sound very positive about the cutting that came from HI. 'Without roots.' It was sent in a plastic bag. Someone said, those cuttings are sold at airports..now the big question, 'how long had it been sitting? Is the cutting dead?' Questions I don't know.

Anyway, thanks too all for your help.

Can't recall if I asked this but how long 'should' it take for a Plumeria cutting to root? And, how long does it take before new foliage sprouts after rooting? I know no one can give a specific time, but approximately. Toni

11 years ago

Hey Toni,

Nice to see you too! : )

I have been around....

Working alot!!

Lots of things going on though, but I am well. Thanks for asking!!!

Some cuttings can take 6-8 weeks to root even in the heat of the summer...sometimes they can root faster than that. I have heard people say that some cuttings take longer than 8 weeks. I still have a cutting i am working on that i started last summer. It is testing me tho. I thought it was a goner, but it still shows sign of it wanting to try and root. We shall see!!!

Keep us updated on your cuttings!!

Take good care Toni!!

Laura

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura,
    Glad you're well.

Started a cutting last summer? That is a long time. Can you see if roots sprouted?
    Is it a certain type, known for slow rooting?

How can you tell if it's still alive? Is there a way to test?

I will keep you updated. The grafted Plume sprouted, tiny leaves..really tiny..lol.
    We'll see how long it takes before its beautiful, variegated, arrow-shaped foliage is mature..lol.

Take care, Toni

• ajaynightshade
    8 years ago

This little guy has three leaves, and looks like two more trying to grow in between. I haven't seen roots yet... But should I give it a little water each week now, or just start misting the tips?

I have a seedling I acquired around the same time that is doing fabulously in my yard. I just checked today, about two inches of "trunk" growth, and at least 10 well-formed leaves. I water that one lightly each day, because it's in direct Central Florida sunlight.

This cutting seems a bit more troublesome though. Eventually, I want to transplant this into my yard, too.

Any suggestions?

-Ajay

• Mila Rae's Dad
    8 years ago

Can cuttings be planted sooner then a week or two if they are healed already at the cut?

• tdogdad
    8 years ago

I find that a week to 10 days reduces the number that rot below the ground level. Some people cut and then plant but my experiences with this are not good.

• Mila Rae's Dad
    8 years ago

Thank you Tdogdad. Much appreciated.

8 years ago

I also follow what Bill advises... I will let it callous for the same amount of days

Just better to have a good callous to start the rooting process..

Bill is a great mentor and I have learned a lot from him. :)

Laura

• Mila Rae's Dad
    8 years ago

Thank you Laura.

• saplumeria
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I put a fresh cut with root powder in a bag with soil, and then on a heat mat. the roots took off. Way more roots then when I let them callous. Anyone else notice this?

• tdogdad
    8 years ago

I like to wait to reduce the chance of infection. Yours seemed to do fine.

• saplumeria
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Tdogdad, are you bill the water root guy? If so I'm using your method on two of my cuttings that have given me trouble. I'm New To This Thing So I'm Trying Every method I can find.

• tdogdad
    8 years ago

I have water rooted but Freak4plumerias is more of one. I usually soak for a few days and then plant in cut off water bottles. works for me.

• saplumeria
    8 years ago

Next time I get cuttings I'm gonna do a comparison of root growth between fresh cut and callous. See what is shows

• maverick2003357
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hey everyone I live in Ontario Canada and I fall in hardiness zone 5. What I'm wondering is how do I get my plumeria cutting to grow ? I have it in a cactus mix in an 6-8 inch pot. What I'm finding is I have small leaves starting approx 1 inch long but fiND the plant sort of stalled there. What is the hottest it should be before moving to shade ? I have been told too use high phosphorus fertilizer and water once every 2 weeks. Does it require a lot of sun or humidity ? would you guys mind giving me some pointers please My email address is maverick2003357@yahoo.com