Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
labland

Spring Garden Show coming up

labland
12 years ago

Anyone going to the Spring Garden Show, starts the 26th this year.

Jen in La Verne

Comments (38)

• animalcraker
    12 years ago

Im planing to go with my mom after work.

~Jen

• isobea
    12 years ago

Hi Jen, my friend Debbie and I are planning on going Saturday - we just had too much fun last year not to repeat it. Are we getting together again? Keep us updated...
    Hope everyone had a great Easter!
    Iso

• labland
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Iso and anyone else,

I think I am going to go the first day, when it opens. I think there will bebetter cuttings...before they get sold out.

I really don't need more, but would like to get a couple! Feel free to email me if you want to get together. Labland@verizon.net

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hey Jen,

I wish that i was coming out this year!

Listening and reading what some of you all found at the cutting sale makes it worse... Ohhh, the pain in my heart!!

I really want to be there for the show... I have Jury Duty for the month of April and i have to be here on a certain day each week to call in to see if im used. IT STINKS!

Just know that im thinking of you all and wish that we could get together like last year.

I WILL be there next year...

I have to smile at you saying that you dont need anymore. I am there with you. Today i memtioned to hubby about the show..he said.."But you have enough.." My response was...

"Yes, but i can still go and enjoy the show.." He doesn't realize how many one can carry in a carry on!!! LMAO!

Hi to all of the ladies and gents that will be going to the show..ISO, Jen, Erika and Jen....

I will miss you all!

Take care,

Laura

• No-Clue
    12 years ago

Oh I wanna come!!

Do you guys know if they will sell plants w/ buds already? I would love to get some that I know will bloom this summer. If so how do we carry them around?? Do they provide us w/ shopping carts or do we bring our own??

So is it better to go on the first or last day? I am very impulsive so I am scared I will buy EVERYTHING!! This new hobby is going to get me into trouble!

• erika79
    12 years ago

Hi Jen, I'll try to make it on Thursday I'll talk to my neighbor she wants to go with me but she can only go on Friday I really want to be there on Thursday so that I can get a better selection so we'll see how it goes.

Hi Laura, we will see you next year ;) (did you get my 2nd e-mail)

Hi No-clue, sometimes they have plants with inflos but they can also be a bit pricey, they don't have any shopping carts ( I wish they would, it would be so much easier... on second thought I thinks is best for all of us that they don't have carts) We usually take our own bags you know those re-usable ones, last year I got cuttings and I got quite a few of them varying on prices from $5 up to $15 there's more expensive ones but it all depends on what you're looking for.

• No-Clue
    12 years ago

Thank you Erika79! I wonder if they will let me bring in a pulley cart thing. I don't know if I should buy cuttings since I don't have a clue how to make things grow!

I want to go on Thursday... will you be there early? Can I look for you? LOL

• erika79
    12 years ago

I'll be there on Thursday probably before 10am I think it starts at 10, I don't remember seeing anyone with a cart but you can always try. Parking is really close to the show and if they say no you can always take it back to your car. I'll message Jen maybe we can all meet at the show

• No-Clue
    12 years ago

Ok I'll head over before 10 as well. In the meantime I'm going to see if I can stop by Jungle Jack's and see what he has.

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

Beware, No-Clue, Jungle Jack's has a lot. And they aren't cheap. Look at the website, view the collections and have a plan. John is a great plumerian and a great salesman; he's passionate about his plants and will tell you the greats you should get.... but be prepared to pay. He has many plants already in bloom, the Scentsational is a white that smells wonderful, like gardenia.

So on the bright side, you will be able to purchase established plants that will bloom this summer, are very healthy and ready to go, on the negative, they aren't all 'cheap' but well worth it. Have fun and let us know what you get!!

wendy

• No-Clue
    12 years ago

Oh-oh! How expensive are we talking about say for a rooted plant w/ buds? I'm not particular about which ones as long as they smell good. I think they are all beautiful so it's just a matter of picking the ones w/ a lot of buds. I will see if I can go this weekend for I'm anxious to build my collection!

12 years ago

Hi No Clue...

You can find a nice rooted tree for around 30 dollars or so and then the prices go up!!! But, you are getting a great tree from John and i would highly suggest buying from him!!! HAVE FUN!!! I promise i see another addiction in the works!!! : )

We all love for them to cross over dont we? : )

Ericka,

I did rec your email and im sorryy that i havent responded yet. I have had jury duty and i was used..Yikes... I tired tonight and i will get back to you tomorrow. Thank you so much!!! But i will be there next year FOR SURE!!! Even if i just look....Right.. MY DH Will probably make sure i dont havve any $ when i fly out there for safey reasons!!! LMAO!!! Good thing we have DEBIT CARDS!!!

only kidding of course.. but i do need to stop. really..well,, kind of, ok, maybe only a few.. one?

Take care,

Jen (lab) i rec ur email..ill be back to you tomorrow as well.. hank you so much my friend!!! XOXOXO

Laura

• isobea
    12 years ago

Hi Jen (labland), Erika and everyone else,
    We were going to go on Saturday, but changed it to Thursday (hoping for better selection like you guys). Since we are coming up from San Diego, we won't be able to get there before 10am. With hope, we'll run into each other.
    Happy hunting everybody!
    Iso

• erika79
    12 years ago

Hi Iso, Jen (labland), No clue, I'll probably be there between 9:45 and 10 am my first stop will be Monalisa's hopefully we'll be able to find each other, don't forget your bag. See you there!

• labland
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi guys!
    I too plan on being there before/by 10. I too will be bringing bags, but I don't really plan on buying much, but I did lose 2 cuttings last year. Need to check and see what I really want!
    I would like to try a Singapore White cutting... Maybe. After having phenomenal luck with 3 4' trees for 5 years, the last 2 years have been hard. 3 lost all their leaves a year ago, and will never look the same again. The other was totally decimated after christmas with the heavy heavy winds we had after Christmas. I have not seen any sign of its recovering, but keep hoping.

See you there! I too will probably go to MonaLisa first. Who knows?

Jennifer

• Kimo
    12 years ago

Jennifer,
    Id wait till it gets warmer and your Singapore should come back. I had one that would die back including the tips and would grow again during the summer around July.
    Have fun at the sale as there are great tropicals like orchids and plumies to buy.

• ralphglass
    12 years ago

I guess ill be to only guy going, lol!

• animalcraker
    12 years ago

Did you guys go today? Give us the scoop so the rest of us will know what to buy and how much money to bring ;) I'll be going saturday morning.

~Jen

• ralphglass
    12 years ago

Hey Jen, i went this morning, I've never been to that show before so i don't know what to compare it to. It was ok Upland nursery, Aloha Tropicals and Monalisa are there selling potted plumeria and cuttings. I picked up a few cuttings i didn't have(Penang Peach, Pink Pansyand a kaneohe Sunburst), i didn't see anything i couldn't live without. Nothing in high demand or real exotic.

Ralph

• isobea
    12 years ago

Hi guys, we also went today, but I agree with Ralph: Nothing I couldn't live without. Since I would much rather buy an established plant nowadays than a cutting, the selection wasn't great. Monalisa had Madame Poni cuttings for $12, so if anyone is interested... There was one vendor there last year (can't remember the name) who I didn't see today. He was the one who had a bunch of really cool plants last year.
    Wonder if the selection is better on Saturdays.
    Iso

• labland
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree,nothing too exciting. Upland had one 4 color graft for $350!! It amazes me someone would ever buy it!

I bought a Jeannie Moragne from Mona Lisa. The one thing she did have if anyone is interested is what they called Hawaiian Royal Color. I accidentally got a cutting last year (was supposed to be Intense Rainbow). When it bloomed, it obviously was not I.R.and I contacted her. She does have those cuttings this year. The reason I mention this is because although it is a small flower, it has the most intense scent!!! I asked her aout it today. Apparently it is from one tree only. The original parent tree is mo longer around. It is not a named variety, but I love the color and scent.

I also got an Aztec Gold feom a Blossoms of Aloha.

I saw alot of unnamed rooted plants that is for sure, along with unnamed cuttings as well. With the number of trees I currently have, I am not going to. Add any more unless I really want it, and probably named variety only!

Here is a picture of the Royal Hawaaian Color cutting I bought last year from Mona Lisa.

• plumie888
    12 years ago

Jen,
    I love the color of the Hawaiian Royal. I am impressed that you already got blooms from a 1 yr cutting. Was it easy to root?. What kind of scent does it have .... Citrus, floral, coconut,...? How much is Monalisa charging? Thanks!

• labland
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It rooted quite fast! I can"t remember her price specifically for each color. I paid $20 for Jeannie Moragne, it seems they were for $8 to $20 depending on the variety. She also had Jim Little Starfish, which she did not have labeled with a picture. I bought one last year, it too had bloomed! Here is my first picture of the first bloom. I have a better pix but I have to remember how to upload to photobucket. It will post it in awhile, nut here is the first one:

• labland
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The forum wouldn't let me submit another post, so I changed the subject line. Sorry!

Here you go, this is a better pix of JL Starfish. Also one of Kimi Moragne, which I think I bought from her (or Bill gave it to so , if so, Mahalo Bill!). I had many of my first year cuttings bloom from Mona Lisa! I know they say not to let them, but I couldn't resist.

Kimi Moragne bloomed for me until after Christmas!

{{gwi:1159790}}

• plumie888
    12 years ago

Jen,

Beautiful!. I think I will have to make a road trip! Thank you!

• plumie888
    11 years ago

I just got back from the Spring Garden show. Mona Lisa is sold out of the Royal Hawaiian.

11 years ago

plummie 888... send me an email... : )

Laura

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I just wanted to share my first Plumeria buying experience...

I went on Thursday and of course being such a novice at this I didn't know what I was looking for and if they were a good price.

I bought 4 cuttings from Upland Nursery for $29 and the Charlotte Ebert plant for $99 b/c I fell in love w/ the fragrance. As I was looking and sniffing the flowers a man whispered to me that he knew of another seller who has better stuff... so of course I followed him upstairs and found Aloha Tropicals.

There I bought two more Plumerias from Aloha Tropicals for $55 a piece. They have white flowers w/ yellow in the center and again I bought them due to the classic scent. I then bought the "Hawaiian Jasmine" at least that was what I was told for $60 which she then gave me a free fertilizer. She told me that if I come back today they would have more plants at a discount.

Today when I arrived I noticed that many of the plants were marked at a higher price than on Thursday, so the sale price is exactly the same or higher than what I paid for before! So the Hawaiian Jasmine were marked up to $75 and now on sale for $60. Well that's not a sale!! So I felt very duped!

I went back down to Upland Nursery to see if they did the same... but nope they actually marked theirs from $99 to $69. And their Hawaiian Jasmine were bigger and fuller w/ more buds were $30 from day one. Now I feel like kicking myself for following that guy upstairs!

Man I feel so stupid!! This is my first experience w/ Aloha Tropicals and it left a bitter taste in my mouth. I am never going buy from them again. I don't like feeling like I have been ripped off.

Especially after having such an awesome experience w/ Jon at JJ on Sat. I HAD to go to learn more and when I walked in and saw 3 green houses full of plumerias I almost fainted on the spot! Jon spent two hours walking around with me answering all my crazy questions and helping me pick out 8 plants. They were all 5 gallons w/ the exception of the Christina that was a 7 gallon but he gave that to me at the 5 gallon price! That is my biggest Plumeria yet.

So from JJ I got

Tipsy
    Wizard
    CA Sunset
    Devine Miniature
    Abby's Dream
    Inca Gold
    Christina
    NOID

I paid $390 total so an average of $48.97/plant which I felt were a very very good price! Oh all the ones he helped me picked out were either blooming or about to bloom. I am not interested in the plants w/ leaves and no inflo for I have no patience waiting around for years for them to bloom.

I'm waiting for Purple Jack, Bewitched and a few others. I am hoping I will get a few more on my wish list for Mother's Day!

So in conclusion... I will most likely not attend anymore of these show. Iif I have need to buy more I will go to JJ first, then Upland second. I like Upland... nice guys, nice plumerias but VERY PRICEY!

If I can figure out how to post pictures I will... :)

• labland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your bad experience! I remember Aloha T. Saying the plants would be on sale the last day. What a gyp! Upland is just too rich for my blood.

Did you stop and talk to Mona Lisa? She only had cuttings, and it aounds to me like you bought only potted plants. Many of her cuttings she gave me bloomed late last summer after rooting in April, and I was quite pleased.

I am glad to hear you stopped at JJ. I wish I could go there someday, but I hate the long drive from La Verne! Although I am glad I haven't gone, because I would bring back more plants!

I have been to the show twice, last year and this year. I won't go again either. Last year I didn't spend much time. I have been to Upland Nursery on my own, and there plants are nice but way aver proced!

This year I took the time to stop and look closely at every plumeria grower. Since I have decided to only buy named varieties from ow on, alot of the displays were unnamed, so I wasn"t interested. At least MonaLisa"s were all cuttings of named varieties.

I have way too many now. I certainly don't need more!

Good luck with your new plants No-Clue. By the way, you can post pictures using Photobucket, along with a few other websites. I use Photobucket because they have an app for the iPad.

Take care everyoen, happy blooming! Jennifer

• animalcraker
    11 years ago

I only bought 1 plumeria at the Garden show and that was a $6 rainbow cutting from Monalisa. I was pleased with my plant shoping at the sale, but that's because I mainly bought some Orchids to try growing and got a really nice cactus at a great price.

The best plumeria prices I've seen have been at the SCPS cutting sale and the sales tables at both the south coast & so cal plumeria society meetings. Upland nursery is also quite nice and friendly, though I agree their prices are a bit high. They do have a sale on thier plumerias towards the end of summer, and the sale prices get better as it gets later in the season. I got 2 very nice trees from upland nursery during their sale for a good price.

My boyfriend and I had the same experience at the Aloha Tropicals booth. We couldn't even look at the plants they had to offer without someone trying to give us a sales pitch, it was very off putting. I've known them to be rather pushy at past shows but this year was exceptionaly bad.

My favortie part about the graden show is that ruby's is right there so we always end our shoping with smooties and lunch at Ruby's.

~Jen

• jandey1
    11 years ago

No-Clue, I would contact the show organizer because those practices you described are highly unethical and cast the whole event in a bad light. I'm sorry you had that terrible experience.

Sounds like you've started an instant collection--enjoy!

• labland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wish I could get to the SCPS sale each year, but such a long drive. For 2 years I have told myself I am going to go. But my back and long drives just don't cut it (on top of being on my feet shopping)!

I also keep saying I am going to go to the meetings at Huntington Beach and join their club. Still haven't done that yet either!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Jandey,

I didn't think to report them b/c I still feel like an idiot! I guess I should call... b/c now that I think about it the guy who was whispering to me might be their employee too! What if he was recruiting customers for them. Darn I must have looked like a sucker!

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    Read this post about your first plumie buying experience, and WOW...
    Ive heard things from other people, but I have to admit I kind of laughed also as we have all been there at one point or another, getting had that is... :)
    Cheers

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

LOL... man I have learned so much this past year. I must have walked around w/ the capital L (loser) on my forehead or something. Easy target I guess. Haha.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

I think it was not an 'L", more like "$$$" sign all over you..lol
    If someone solicited me and told me about someone selling plumies, unless they had a wagon full or hands full of ones they bought I'd tell them to BEAT IT, Get a steppin.
    Well my fav quote is "Live it, learn it"...You lived the experience, so hopefully you have learned from it, but I still laugh every time I read your post...lol

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

I know how could I be so stupid right? I had no idea some people can be so icky!

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Well here is another funny one about the seller.
    This was posted last year on MPG about re-labeling plants.
    If you see the link to the photobucket go to it and you can see the picture of the label that had been re written to say "Golden Pagoda" even though faintly you can see Jackie..lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Alleged Fraudulent seller thread