Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becks3082

making ebay more managable

becks3082
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Wanted to pass along some information I found helpful. I contacted ebay (as I know many others have) regarding the issue of fraudulent plumeria postings.

Cover 4 topics below, so view as interested:
(a) update on removal of fraudulent sellers
(b) steps for setting up a photoshoped free search (required 1 time only)
(c) accessing your saved search in the future
(d) placing additional restrictions on your prior search

UPDATE AS TO REMOVAL OF FRAUDULENT SELLERS FROM SITE
I realize the optimal solution would be that these all be removed from the site. At this time that may not be feasible (partly because they don't have the expertise to determine). I explained that removal of these is particularly important for those less familiar with the plants, because the warranty period ebay allows is not a timeframe in which the flower will bloom. Thus, sellers have 100% positive ratings, based only on people receiving a cutting that appears healthy (not receiving the product they think they purchased). ONLY explaining this part to let everyone know I actually reached someone on the phone and the issue has been documented. Only time will tell if anything comes of that.

SO the primary purpose of this post was to share how you can make your personal ebay use less frustrating.
The key is in creating saved searches.
**YOU ONLY HAVE TO DO THIS ONCE**

INITIAL STEPS TO SEARCH SETUP
To do this:
1) Identify ebay sellers you don't want to see products from
2) at the top of the page, right hand side next to the search button click 'advanced'
3)Enter your keyword "plumeria" and then just below the first blue search button, check the box that says 'save this search to my ebay'. Proceed down additional filter options to 'Sellers'
4) In the sellers field lick "only show items from:
5) In the dropdown menu, change the selection from include to exclude [Note - here you can also choose to see only those you trust; however, I am using the 'exclude' option to allow me to be aware of new sellers
6) add the seller ID of those you don't or do want to see in the text box (seperate names with a comma) -- for example, my current exclude list is: dealasia2012,shoppingmall1999,108shopasia,commart2000,jewelryablaze,garden1890,happynet_shop,thaiperfect_gems,gift2home2012,best_plumeria,siamflower_lover,collect4you1999)

7) Now click search and be amazed that you see only pictures of actual plumeria (doesn't guarantee you're seeing only trusted sellers, but ita better starting point and less digging through fake junk)

ACCESSING YOUR SEARCH AT FUTURE TIMES
To access this same search in the future, click "My eBay", select 'saved searches' and click on your saved search preferences.

MAKING UPDATES *Most complex but you can do it!*
1) Go to "My eBay" and select "saved searches"
2) Next to your search click "edit" (it will appear to take you to your search results)
3) on the left hand side part way down page with the search options click "more refinements".
4) add or subtract usernames to exclude and select 'go'
5)***Now at the top of the page on the left side of the blue search button, click the *star* save. It will ask you to either confirm your save with a new search name (this will keep your old search settings and the new search setting with separate names), or you can enter your previous search label to keep only one search listing.

I know this is a lot of content, and you may already know all this; but setting it up for the first time (not being a huge ebay user) was a bit frustrating, so I wanted to pass along these tips for any who enjoy shopping for plumeria on ebay to hopefully help make your future searches of products you may actually be interested in!

Bests to all!

Rebecca

(PS sorry to all for previous threads I am behind on replying to - trying to finish this dissertation and haven't been on the past few weeks - will catch up soon!)

Comments (7)

• powderpuff
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great info! Another way if the Thai sellers are the only ones you want to block is to simply used advanced search and tell it to show you only Plumeria seller in the United States.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Rebecca, thank you so much for posting that - very helpful!!! Yes, I get SO IRRITATED looking at those fake pictures of plumeria and adenium.

For plumeria I do filter for US only because I will not even go through the hassle of international when I have so many awesome ones here, I just don't have the trust or patience for it. However, I would also like to block some US sellers because if I see they are stealing other people's pictures then I do not want to buy from them anymore. If they steal pictures chances are they aren't on the up and up in some way.

For Adenium however, some of the best seed comes from Thailand or Taiwan and I may want to look, but as soon as I see a fake picture I don't even want to see anything they have anymore so it would be nice to just block them.

• animalcraker
    11 years ago

Thank you for positing this. I too only search for plants from the us the prevent or decrease my chances of something being claimed by the inspectors at LAX.

-Jennifer

• pcput
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info,Rebecca . Most helpful. Peg

• becks3082
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree with all that there are benefits to excluding all Thai or international sellers, if only to minimize the risk through customs. The main thai seller I had been interested in was the one that posts under succurent park (though I saw a few old photos that said succulent park which made me wonder if someone had translation issues and they were false.

Anyway, has anyone purchased from that individual? prices are more reasonable than most and pictures don't appear modified. They were on a previous list of 'trusted sellers'... but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Just figured I'd ask.

• pcput
    11 years ago

becks3082 , I have bought from anyamanee_p/Succulent Park through recommendations of others. They have been selling on ebay since 06. That in it's self says something. Mine have not bloomed yet as they are small. They are very good at replacing plants as long as you send them a photo of it. One they replaced twice before I got one to thrive. I only had one problem order that never arrived and they refunded my money as it was too cold to ship again. They also have replaced fall plants that didn't thrive but waited til spring when weather warmed up. They have at sometimes been slow to respond but I would just send more emails. Their communications has gotten better. I know of other people who have done multiple orders from them and were very happy. Hope that helps. Peg

• becks3082
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Excellent Peg, Thanks!!!

They were actually the reason in my search i had not blocked all Thai sellers :) I will definitely keep them in consideration.
    I had previously emailed them to see if they ever do bundled shipping with ebay purchases and they indicated they do, which makes the plants all the more affordable.

Hope your plants bloom soon and if it happens to be this spring and you think of it, let me know how they are!

So excited for spring!

Rebecca