Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneyhorse

Looking for Thorntons Lemon Drop

disneyhorse
9 years ago

Hello all...

My collection seems pretty good but the one I'm missing is Thorntons Lemon Drop. I think that's the only one left on my "have to have" list. Anyone know where I can find a nice small plant? I'm in SoCal and don't mind shipping.

Comments (30)

• ladyver
    9 years ago

That's my best bloomer and one of my favorites! Good choice...I know someone who has some locally and I'm hoping you'll hear from them.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Florida colors has it. At least as far as I know its the real deal. That seems to be the hardest part about shopping for it.

mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

That is one of my favorites too!

Mine was cut last year, so I'm sorry I can't help you. It's not ready to be trimmed for a while.

Good luck...

Laura

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Disneyhorse,
    I still haven't gone by my patch, but couple months ago I was noting that I was going to do some needed trimming on a lot of my plants. May have Thortons Lemon Drop avail, but would be a cutting.

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wouldn't mind a cutting versus a rooted plant. I've had good success with rooting last year and feel pretty confident.

• rox146
    9 years ago

Just a thought....I have 2 TLD....both have been in pots and not happy at all. I read on here some where that she likes to be in the ground. So, after almost losing 1 of them last year from the pot, I put it in the ground last year and this year every tip has an inflo. Mine are both small with no pruning need. Just thought I would let you know the in the ground thing, at least for my area. roxanne

9 years ago

Good luck DisneyHorse!!!

Hi James!! I hope your patch is doing well...

Rox. I hope you have many beautiful blooms!!! ;-)

Cheers to you all!!!

Laura

• citizen_insane
    9 years ago

Hey Disneyhorse,
    I got about 12 rooted TLDs with 2-5 tips and most have inflos. All are beefy plants. I will sell them at the PSA sales. I could sell you one if you are interested. I am in Texas so I could mail it to you.

George

• AllanRandall
    9 years ago

I got mine from George last season. He sent me a wonderful looking plant and it now has two inflos coming out. The excitement begins.

• tdogdad
    9 years ago

Gave Sonja my last rooted one but I have one rooting that you are welcome to. E-mail me and swing by some afternoon. i am just down the 55 by South Coast Plaza. Bill

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Hey Laura..... Hope your having a good spring so far.

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

I'm also looking for a TLD locally in SoCal (LA/OC/IE) -- after disneyhorse gets one. :) I'm happy to pay for the plant and pick it up.

• ladyver
    9 years ago

While we're talking about we might as well show it....this is why TLD is my favorite. Slow grower for me but very polite and VERY generous with the blooms despite the morning-sun only location. I've had this one since about 2005 and it went in ground around 2010 when I couldn't keep it upright in its pot during the Santa Anas. Unfortunately it doesn't need to be pruned, otherwise I'd share! Bill was so generous to provide me with a backup. Disneyhorse, you're more than welcome to come over and see mine when it blooms. It's pushing inflos on almost every tip again.

9 years ago

Sonja ...

She is beautiful!!

I can't wait for mine to open, she blooms all summer for me as well!!!

Thank you for showing this lovely tree, named for a lovely lady...

Laura

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

She's pretty! I've been avoiding yellow and white but this is a must have. Beautiful tree, really does it's "siblings" justice!

• ladyver
    9 years ago

I cleared out all of my yellows and most of my whites except for this one...the flower is just perfect. It has everything going for it...scent, form, growth habit, easy to grow and root, tons of blooms every year, amazing color. This was one of the first three plants that fueled my addiction. The other two were Hilo Beauty and Jeannie Moragne Jr.

• Pharaoh4
    9 years ago

I have one that is similar in size to ladyver's photo, but it is in a 20? gallon pot. I am willing to sell it for the right price.

Tony

• tdogdad
    9 years ago

Hello Tony. Good to see your name again. Must be hot in the Valley these days. Take care. Bill

• toomanydogs
    9 years ago

Last summer I got a lovely rooted TLD from Diem in Santa Ana. It is a great bloomer and a nicely shaped plant. He is a member of the South Coast Plumeria Society so you could contact him through them.

• Pharaoh4
    9 years ago

Hey Bill,
    Good to hear from you. Yes, it's been blazingly hot in the Valley. I still can't get over that we never had a Winter, but I'm not complaining ;)

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Citizen,

sent you a message about your TLDs and if you still have any available . I have been looking for one for awhile and would love to buy one! thanks

Shane

• georgecc
    9 years ago

I have a nice, 27" tall ETLD that's symmetrical and wide with 9 tips for sale (and one inflo so far). For local pickup in Simi Valley (don't think it's a good candidate for shipping). If anyone is still looking, email me.

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Sure wish I was closer! sounds like an awesome plant

9 years ago

Good luck with the trees... ETLD is a beauty!!

Hi James... Spring is finally here, thank goodness!!! Hope all is well and just wanted to say, Mahalo for everything.. They all look wonderful too! ;-)

Have a great weekend!!!

Laura

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Disney, I would jump on that one from George! Hard to find people willing to part with good size TLD plants like that!

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Hopefully he will be willing to part with another one! Have been looking for a decent sized one for awhile and haven't been able to find one.

• citizen_insane
    9 years ago

Hey Shane,
    how big a TLD are you looking for? Can you pick it up at the PSA sale?

George

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

I got my Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop from Emerson Willis in Texas. He is a charming man, and it was a pleasure doing business with him. The three tipped plant is blooming this year for the first time and is firing on all three cylinders! Perhaps he has another one? Good luck!

• texasplum
    9 years ago

George,
    Thank you for getting back to me sir. Just a decent sized rooted plant doesn't have to be huge just a nice shape. I do have a single tip but I would like to find another one. Where is the psa sale? I live just north of Austin TX and willing to pay for shipping if I cant make it to the sale. Thanks!!

Shane

• ladyver
    9 years ago

I just got back from Upland Nursery and there's a good sized Thornton's Lemondrop for sale there right now. It's labeled "Lemon Drop" but it's blooming and is definitely Thornton's. It's a forked tree (y shaped) with one inflo on each branch and pushing out new branches around those inflos. 5 gallon for $99, which I didn't think was too bad for the size considering their prices on other things.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area