Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Import permit.

Posted by tapapoi (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 12:50

Hi!

I imported some plumeria from Thailand about ten years ago. I remember that I got an import permit but I let it lapse after a couple of years. I want to get some more now but I'm not sure about the 12 to a box rule. Is it true that if you have 12 or fewer in a shipment you don't have to have an import permit?

I bought some last summer and there were more than 12, which the seller put in one box. I got an APHIS notice in the box that this one went through but I would need to get an import permit for future shipments. I have applied for a new permit online but their site says it could take two months to get it. That's why I was wondering if the limit over which they require a permit is true. Is there an under the radar number?

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Import permit.

I received an APHIS notice several years ago for just 2 cuttings. I doubt the regulations have loosened over the years with new pests and diseases looming. But enforment is another thing.

Your location relative to the port of entry can be a benefit with or without the permit as certain inspection stations seem to be less strict than others. If it goes through L.A. then its more than likely to be written up for Phomopsis and destroyed (even if they were dipped and included a Phyto). You will be rolling the dice if you forgo the permits but its known that the inspection stations on the East and Gulf Coast let things slide too easily.

The 12 cuttings is not something I can find at APHIS website, but there is something about a small number of seeds not requiring a permit.

This post was edited by musaboru on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 13:42

o

Thanks for the reply, Musaboru. I remember that Los Angeles was harder to get plants through. I lost some through there, and one time they were held up there for weeks for some reason. Everything I've gotten in the past has been opened and inspected, whether or not I had a permit to import it.

o

I got my import permit already. It is so fast online! I thought I'd have to wait a couple of months. Just wanted to let people know if you want to get one it apparently takes only several days to get it if you apply online.

o

Did you get from the Aphis website? I may just apply for one.

Mark

o

Hi Mark.

https://www.eauth.usda.gov/MainPages/eAuthWhatIsAccount.aspx

To get permits online you have to get an eAuthentication account for USDA sites and have "level 2 access". First register with them and then you have to make an appointment with a Local Registration Authority (LRA) at a USDA Service Center. The site above explains it and you can do a search for the nearest office. It was easy, the LRA person just took info from my driver's license and that was it. It's just to prove that you are who you say you are. Then you can apply for permits online.

o

Awesome!! Thank you for the info Mary!

I'm hoping tomorrow I can go down to the USDA Service center, it is five minutes away from work!

Thanks again!

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here