Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria dormancy question

Posted by tulleylea Western PA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 13:23

First off, I want to say thank you to those of you that read this and try and help - I really appreciate it!

I have a white plumeria that I brought back from Hawaii as a stick about five years ago. It has three prongs now, and at its peak will have maybe 30 leaves?

Anyway . . it only bloomed for me once and I've read that it is necessary to for it to go 'dormant' in order to bloom. Over the winter, it has been in a sunny window in our dining room and still has leaves. The weather is just getting to the point where I can start thinking about starting seeds, but no way can the plumeria go back outside. Average now is 50's during the day, and 40s at night.

So I'm wondering . . should I maybe move it down the basement for a little while, where it is darker and colder? Until the leaves fall off then bring it back up?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria dormancy question

Since your plumie has been in its current location all winter and is happy there (thus the full leaves), Id leave it be. If you put iti in your basement or try to make it go dormant now you may confuse your baby. I have plumies that keep some of its leaves all winter long with no ill effects, except for maybe spider mites in spring. In some parts of the world like Central Mexico or Central America Plumies do not go dormant and grow and flower all year long.

Basically only Fruit and ornamental trees like Chinese Magolia, Flowering Cherry trees that are deciduous need a rest period and cold to make it fruit again the next growing season.
Basically leave well enough alone....

Cheers

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 13:47

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here