Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathies2

Red Plumeria Sources

CathieS2
11 years ago

I live in Chula Vista on the border of Bonita. I have grown 2 plumeria trees at my previous residence near Bonita Vista High School. We have moved and I wish to plant a dark red plumeria (rooted) in our new yard. I am looking for a 5 gal. up to a 24" box tree that is a Hilo Beauty, a Scott Pratt, a Black Dragon, or similar. Of my 2 previous trees, the one in the backyard grew beautifully tight with a full in the canopy. The second one in the front yard grew with long branches that ended in having too much weight and would break if not pruned back. The planting area at the new house will be in full sun. I have seen 2 samples of Hilo Red that are available for sale but both seem to have the long branches which concerns me. Dark reds seem to be difficult to find. Does anyone have any sources for the San Diego area?

Comments (26)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

ProudMamaSD lives in San Diego and I think she goes to Brad's Buds and Blooms and has gotten some amazing plants, I would try there or send her a message for the scoop. Good luck!

https://www.bradsbudsandblooms.com/

• elucas101
    11 years ago

ProudMamaSD lives in San Diego and I think she goes to Brad's Buds and Blooms and has gotten some amazing plants, I would try there or send her a message for the scoop. Good luck!

https://www.bradsbudsandblooms.com/

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Hi Cathie,

So sad to leave behind your trees! I think Emily meant I go to Jungle Jack's in Vista; many of his trees have been crafted to grow 'bushier' which sounds like it might be more what you like. Viewing his website will likely not show you the reds, but he has many that he calls, "Premium Red" of which I have seen some beautiful pictures. If you wait a month and go I am sure you can see the blooms yourself. Here's the link: http://www.junglejacksplumerias.com/

Also, there is a nursery in Chula Vista, Plumeria Paradise, which I have heard some good things about- unsure if they are available for visits, but I am sure you can call them (or JJ's) and tell them precisely what you want and they will assist you. Here's the link: http://www.plumeriaparadise.com/plumeria/index.php

I believe Jandey has ordered from them and has positive feedback.

Good luck, be sure to post pics once you've found a perfect red!

Wendy

• nativec
    11 years ago

Hello! Upland Nursery(actually located in Orange) has a pretty good selection. You might give them a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Upland Nursery

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Cathie,
    You may want to check with Doug Jones in SD. Doug has a Deep Burgundy plumie that is similar to Hilo Beauty but the Flower is fuller and a bit larger then HB and is easy to root. Doug calls this his "Burgundy Special", I believe it may have come from Fuzzy in Hawaii Bloomingplumeria on Egay. Again looks a bit like HB but has fuller petals and grows like a weed with huge inflos, if your temps get hot the flowers take on an almost black burgundy color. Here is a pic

Doug Jones "Burgundy Special:

The other thing is Doug is in SD.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey James,

What a beauty.... i love it!!!

Cheers!!!

Laurs

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Wildfire may also be one you might like. Here is a pic of WF blooming in 70'ish degree temps and blooming in Semi Shade

Here is another red you might like, huge red flowers that fade to a beautiful patter. This ones from Australia called Australia.

Fades to this:

Donald Angus Red, great smell also.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Hey Laura,

Thanks!! Actually I gifted Sonia a plant, so that is her pic with her hand..lol minus the nails and bracelets as I haven't ever taken a pic of it for myself If you like it I have a cutting with your name on it..lol??? Let me know?

• jandey1
    11 years ago

James, that is really interesting that Wildfire will bloom in part shade for you. I found my WF will burn up under our summer Texas sun and so I've been babying it and wondered if I'm sabotaging future blooms by keeping it in partial sun instead of full. Same thing for few other sensitive plumies--what's your opinion about the 6-hour-a-day rule for sunlight in my conditions?

Jen

• elucas101
    11 years ago

So sorry for the confusion, yes Wendy I meant JJ's!!! LOL!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I just pulled the trigger on a 3 tip Kimi Beauty from MPG. I've been thinking about it and looking around for over a week but I kept going back to that one. It was about $12 for 2 day shipping, not bad, and they usually throw in a free cutting to boot. The last freebie they sent me is still rooting and pushing an inflo already. I never get a bad cutting from them, they are really awesome.

11 years ago

Thanks James!!!

She sure is a beauty!!

I will take you up on your generous offer.. Mahalo!

My info will be sent to your email.. : )

Jen has a great question about the length of sunlight..

My trees are exposed to full sun all day. Most off the season it works out fine, but in the heat of the summer, i have to be careful with the temps rising into the triple digits. That does concern me when the treees are in containers and especially in black pots. (Then i start double potting )

I will be interested to hear how long yours are exposed to the direct sun, especially Wildfire.

Thanks again James for the offer. You are very kind!!

Cheers!

Laura

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Jen,
    There are so many mushy and taller plumies around my Wildfire that it is in semi shade but does get some sun depending on the angle of the sun. The inflo I took a picture of was under a lot of branches and shaded thus the lighter coloring. The one perk was the inflos was huge.

• nativec
    11 years ago

Oh the Wildfire is gorgeous!!! I finally added it to my collection this year. That picture makes me hungry to see it bloom.

Although I must say it would be like a dream to shop in James' yard...LOL :)

Where can one find the Australia? Another lovely!!

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Hey Nativec,
    I bought my Australia years ago from Brad on Ebay when he was the US Supplier for this lady in Australia, forget her name now. Brad does not rep for this lady anymore but you may want to contact him and ask if he has anymore. Here is a pic from Lopaka of Australia

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to PSA pic and info on Australia

• nativec
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the information. I'll send an email to Brad. Maybe...just maybe... It sure is a beauty! I won't make anymore wise cracks about shopping in your yard..LOL

Nicole

• jandey1
    11 years ago

I think Australia is also known as Capalaba Pink, and also something like Miss Perkins. Florida Colors has Capalaba.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Nicole,
    Brad had a thread about Capalaba, Australia and Miss Perkins being the same plumie on MPG. You may want to clarify with him as I think he said they were different based on flower size, but go figure?
    I also had a Capalaba Pink and it did not perform well in Costal So Cal, but my Australia does. Capalaba never bloomed for me as I only had it 2 seasons and gifted it to someone in San Diego.
    So ask Brad when you e mail him
    Cheers

• nativec
    11 years ago

I think you may be absolutely correct jandey. Brad actually had it listed under yet another name but also noted that it has been refered to as Capalaba Pink. He's sold out but I've always had great luck with Florida Colors. Maybe others will weigh in on the multiple name issue. I don't have a single Australian variety in my collection so I'm no where close to being qualified on this one.

Nicole

• nativec
    11 years ago

Wanted to share Brad's input with everyone regarding the whole name issue. Here is his response to my email:

I honestly don't know. They look suspiciously similar to me and most swear they are the same. I have austrailia trees here but just now got capalaba pink. I am selling cp as unconditional love, Australia, and cp on my site since I cannot be sure. Once my cp blooms maybe I can verify but better to be safe than sorry for now.
    Brad

• jimithing78
    11 years ago

Jandey, how long have you had Wildfire? Have you had any blooms? I just bought a cutting of it and am curious about how it will do in the Texas heat. Right now I've got it sitting where it gets morning and early afternoon sun and then by 4 or 5 it's in the shade. I'm just trying to think ahead to July and August when it's going to be 100+ every day. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Jeff, if it weren't for the fact that Wildfire is such a gorgeous, fragrant red that's hard to come by I would've gotten rid of it already. I've been very disappointed by mine.

I bought it rooted (a few very small roots, anyway) in Sept. 2010, three tips, and it's just been stalled all this time, nowhere near flowering. Last summer it burned up in the heat of our midday sun so I had to keep moving it to find a better spot--it's definitely happier in dappled sun--and the tips only grew maybe an inch. When I repotted this spring there weren't a lot of roots, yet, either, and as of this morning it's the only one of my 50+ plumies that hasn't started any new claws.:(

Oh, and I also found that it needs a lot more water than some other plumies I have. But don't be discouraged by my poor luck! Lots of people have had gorgeous Wildfires and I'm sticking it out in the hopes that mine will eventually thrive.

Jen

• jimithing78
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply - I guess I'll see what happens and try to keep a close eye on how it's doing. I bought it for the reasons you're keeping it - the color and fragrance combination are hard to come by. Didn't find much info on how good of a grower it was before I bought it.

11 years ago

Hey Guys and Gals!!!

I also have a Wildfire and it is doing great. Hasn't bloomed for me yet, but i have only had it for one season.. TKS Jen!!! : ) This one was at the top of my list because of the story from which it was found and by whom...also because of the beauty and the fragrance!!!

This is another named variety by Bud Guillot. He discovered this tree when he and his wife (Vi) were on their 50th wedding anniversary visiting the Big Island (Kona) 1999. His waitress had this beautiful bloom in her hair and that was how it all started. He did some research on where it was..Talked with the person that had this tree....Was offered cuttings and from there he had it registered with the PSA. He then gave several cuttings to his friends... Then the Wildfire took off....

Thanks to Bud Guillot !!! : )

Thought some of you would find this interesting...

Take care,

Laura

• CathieS2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you ProudMamaSD as well as the rest for the info. Jungle Jack's carries only Thialand varieties. So that leads me to another question: any differences between Thialand vs. Hawaiian varieties in the way that they grow, hardiness, etc.?

I have called Plumeria Paradise twice as their website shows 2 reds that I like (Petulant Red and Black Dragon) but I have not gotten a reply to either. Does anyone know if they sell rooted trees?

F.Y.I.: I have also contacted Aloha Tropicals and Walter Anderson's.

• jimithing78
    11 years ago

If you're willing to Ebay you might check sellers bloomingplumerias and 1-stop-aloha. They both seem to have weekly listings.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living