Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpolson37

Waking up from winter

dpolson37
12 years ago

I've had a fairly warm winter here in northern Virginia which I thought would lead to my plumerias waking up early, but I am not seeing much of that.

All appear to be healthy though and here is a picture showing them soaking up some sun outside. Night temps still get into the 40's and 50's which probably set them back some as they were used to a constant 68 degrees, but I wanted the leaves to come out and be used to sunlight.

Last year I brought them out already with leaves and the sun burned them pretty bad. Where they are now they get good morning sun, filtered mid-day sun and good evening sun. I'll move most of them in a month or so to other areas where they will get full sun.
{{gwi:1160076}}From Garden 2012

Comments (6)

• pcput
    12 years ago

Looking like they are coming along, Dave. How often do you water/fertilize them at this point? I'm never sure what to do for them at this stage and putting them out. Peg

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

Nice trees, Dave. They look happy to be outside, even with the chilly nights.

It's fun to look at everyone's photos, folks--keep 'em coming!

Greg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hey Dave,

They look really happy to finally be back outside!

My trees are in their spot for the summer and i hope that i dont have to bring them back in again. I think we are finally safe!!! : )

Hope you are well... Loved seeing the Shuttle email. That was awesome...i wish i was flying around Dulles today. What a sight to see!!!

Take care,

Laura

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Nice, Dave. Can't wait to see some of your yard and bloom pics!

I am seriously coveting that square blue pot. Beautiful!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

Hey Dave!

The plumerias that I've stored in my garage are all starting to leaf out. BUT, it is semi-insulated and on warm days, the sun on the roof can bring the temperature in the garage up to 90 degrees. They LOVE that.

The ones in my house are at least two weeks behind. So there you go.

• dpolson37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update to all my plumerias outside. They had to be moved back in the garage and inside. After temps dropped into the 40's at night and 50's during the day I didn't want to risk loosing any. The temps dropped after getting almost two inches of rain which was needed, but wet and cold combo was not welcome. So they will stay inside for the next week or so till night temps stay above 50.

PEG: When I brought them outside I soaked them good with water from the hose. Temps then were in the 80's. Without leaves I don't water again till I see some activity. I just wanted to get them started after a long dry winter inside.

JANDEY: Something about blue pots that I just can't pass up. I've got some round ones too, but the square is more stable. Talk about heavy though, even with light fast draining soil. I use a hand truck to move it.

DAVE_IN_NOVA: My garage is in the 60's and 70's pretty consistently now and I see a difference just bringing them outside. Guess it won't hurt them being in the garage I just wanted to take advantage of the sunlight. I have a few small windows so they get some natural light. Some of the newer rooted cuttings are still dormant. Guess the 50 degree temps shocked them to sleep again.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County