Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Thanks guys!

Andrew Scott
11 years ago

So so many people here decided to buy more plumeria, I decided it was time for me to buy a few myself. I really wasn't going to honest....ok, I cannot even type this out while keeping a straight face! LMAO! I went from buying "just one". to all ready ordering more!

Last Thursday I got a large Taj Mohal with a double inflo. The main inflo is about a half in across right now..it splits towards the bottom and there is a smaller cluster of buds there that's about 1/4 in across right now. The tree must have just started coming out of dormancy as the leaves are still young, and red tinted.

Cannot wait for these flowers! I have seen them in pictures but never in person. I love the shape and the flower color of this variety.

OK Laura, YOU and Bill both did it! I saw the pics of both of your Lani's and decided I had to have one...actually 3! They came in a set of three for $26.99 plus shipping. cannot wait for those to arrive!

Right now I have 8 on my list of plumeria I want to get this year, but I know there are a few I am missing.

Here's my list:

1. E.T. Lemon Drop. (I had a cutting last year but it didn't root.)

2. Kimi Moragne. (I also rooted one of these but lost it over the winter.)

3.J.L. Thailand Red.

4.Waimea

This is my list for now. I am sure it will grow. I know there are more than a few that I would like but need to consider the space these are going to take over the winter.

Any opinions on my list guys? I would love to get some other recommendations.

I also am planning on being in south FL this summer. I hope I can make it to Florida Colors. Just have to remember to only take so much money when I go there. LOL!

Andrew

Comments (25)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those, and I myself have bought ET LD recently and am looking for JL Thai Red. Let me know if you find it!

Lemon Drop is available at Florida Colors--I verified that it was Thornton's--but only grafted. They also have Kimi, and it couldn't hurt to ask for Waimea--they don't always list what's available on their site.

Jen

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jen. Waimea seems to be very elusive, unless you want to bid on it on Ebay.

I checekd out Florida Colors, and I do like ordering from them. There plumeria are good quality and I don't mind having my plumeria grafted,(but would prefer not to have them grafted.)

Andrew

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Andrew,

You are so funny!!! My fault? : ) Glad to help a friend!!! LOL..

You know how much i love my Lani. I even have it as my screensaver on my cell...what a beauty she is...

When you mentioned Bill's Lani, i had to go and look up the pic of his tree. OMG... I think i will bump this so everyone can see this beauty!!!

Your list is a good one. Lots of winners there ANdrew!!

I am sure it will grow once you hit Florida and visit some of the nurseries... Lucky Dog!!

I thing that was a great buy on the three Lani. Great find!!

We'll chat soon!!!

Take care,

Laura

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi guys,
    I wanted to report that today I could actually see roots on 2 of the 3 Lani cuttings, plus a mystery cutting I got from Hetty is rooting. The cutting is something she registered with the PSA but I do not remember the name of it.

I also ordered Iris Sunset, and Moragne 23. Not sure if either rooted yet.

I am just amazed that these cuttings have rooted!

Andrew

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Lani is a wonderful plumeria. It is one of the few with a ROSE scent and of course gorgeous multicolored blooms. Its only downside is it can be lanky, at least for me in pot culture, but so be it. I'm hoping I can get it to bloom more this season.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

I wanted to add that even though some don't care for the look of grafted plumeria (Jim Little, for example), I really don't mind. My understanding is the rootstock are seedlings (?) and have a more extensive and more robust root structure. Up here in my neck of the woods, plumerias are just not going to thrive like they do in the warmer regions of the country, so anything that will help them survive and bloom better is OK in my book.

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Andrew,

I have a huge amount of Waimea from a very robust tree I brought back from Oahu. I'm attaching a photo for you to see, the lady I bought it from makes leis for Lei Day in Honolulu.
    I can send you a fresh cutting, I'm getting ready to make 6 cuttings to pot up for planting. The flowers are one of the most vibrant in color and an absolute favorite of mine!
    Let me know?

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Tropic,
    Thanks so much for the generous offer! I would love a 1 of your Waimea cuttings.

Andrew

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Andrew, looks like you have a connection to Waimea. I was going to tell you that the lady I purchased mine from in HI at the Dole plantation will ship. She was great, unfortunatelty I haven't rec'd an email from her yet. She's probably just a phone call away but it seems you have a better connection in Tropic7, hooray. I am so excited about Waimea, such a beauty.

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Tropic,

Your Waimea is absolutely stunning! Does the bloom color stay consistent every time?

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Andrew
    Good Morning, I'll be cutting them this weekend.
    Please send your mailing address to cabin4300@verizon.net
    This is a very tall grower, big leaves and the flowers are very consistent when it comes to keeping their color in spite of direct Florida sun light. The scent is like no other plumeria I have and very spicy perfume! Oh and the flower size is 3. to 3.5, I just planted another one from pot into the ground last weekend and is 6ft.

k2fl,
    Yes bloom color is very consistent, I know what your saying and to me some plumeria seem over hybridized and become weak physically both in color and keeping quality.

ProudMamaSD
    If you ever go back to Oahu please visit Waimea Valley
    Link: http://www.waimeavalley.net/default.aspx
    You'll often see on your way to the valley are Mango trees at the edge of the road. Local farmers and ohana sell both plumeria leis and cuttings and fruit for folks driving by.
    Some of these stands are on the honor system and you put your money in the lock box and choose your purchase!

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I have started a list of Plumeria I want. Everyone has such beautiful plants and flowers. I want them all.

Mindy

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Dave, grafted is not my first choice, especially for more vigorous growers--which is why I held out for a rooted TLD--but I was told that grafting onto seedling stock can really boost the performance of fussbudgets like Makaha Sunn. So far my MS grafts are going gangbusters with no sign of blacktip, which I've heard it's prone to.

That's very interesting, Tropic, that you say Waimea's a tall grower. I can never find info like that on some of these varieties so thank you for that. Nice to hear it's vigorous as well as gorgeous! I may be sending you an email, lol!

Jen

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Hi Jen,
    I keep my Waimea in the ground year round, It got so big I made 2 more plants/trees from it. I had a 30 gallon ceramic planter I put one of them into it. It was a 5 foot cutting. Funny...I used dried coconuts (10) with the husk still on them to stationary the plumeria/waimea to the center and filled the rest of the way with Miracle Grow cactus mix. This year when I planted it, I pulled the plant out roots and all and not a single coconut fell out! They (growers) do this on Oahu to conserve potting soil when planting larger cuttings. ( wish I had taken photos to show!!!)
    This photo is why I'm making cuttings this year! I'm getting ready to pot up 20 plants or so. By the way, that's an 8 foot fence!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

OH WOW!!! Your back yard oasis jungle is just AMAZING! And your dogs are darling too, how cute!!!

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Tropic 7, so in awe of your garden and your dogs, are they mini schnauzers?!! All are beautiful. Thank you also for the tip, I will be back next year, without a doubt.

I think all of us want to swim in your pool, and Laura's, so we can be surrounded by all that beauty and fragrance, lol.

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

ProudMamaSD,
    Yes, those are my 2 girl mini'schnauzers always on lizard patrol! It's funny how all this just started with one stick!
    Then another and trades with the neighbors! The the internet.... We all have "IT" Plumeria on the Brain, with no cure!, but very rewarding!
    Thank you for reminding me what it is I work hard for I appreciate all those wonderful comments!

• Minderella
    11 years ago

That picture is Paradise. Dreaming of being there just relaxing

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

Holy cow Tropic 7! Your landscaping is AMAZING! Absolutely breath taking. I have yet another level to strive for.

How long have you been creating your paradise?

Thanks for sharing.

Big Wave Dave

• pcput
    11 years ago

Tropic, Your yard looks like a post card. Great lighting. Thanks for sharing it with us. Peg

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Hello Dave and Peg,
    I've had the house for the past 14 years, the pool at one time had a cage over it and I took it down! One of my all time pleasures is photography and growing tropicals. I even have coffee, macadamia and pineapples! I'm not new to plumeria, however I am new to learning what all the names are.
    I love to post photos and welcome all ideas and comments.
    Thank you! Stuart

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Tropic,
    I love the way you have your plumeria bed in layers. The tallest plants in the back, then medium plants, then finally smaller ones in the very front. What great use of space. Did you plan it that way, or did you just get lucky. Its looks lovely. I would love to do something like that in my yard. Are the back and middle plants planted in the ground? My plumeria are all in pots. Barbra

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Hi Barbra,
    I feel I have too many in the bedding area, so what I've done is to "Thin" them out by making new plants from cuttings.
    Yes, the ones in the back are super growers!, and will reach easily 20+ feet tall. In the photo above only a few are in pots everything in the beds are planted in the ground.
    This is only a small part of my collection and the front yard has several varieties also. ( they keep me very busy )
    The reason they have the layered look is because it's natural for plumeria to branch up and out and with the weight of the branching they will (most) hang downwards.
    The ones that hang down or grow under the canopy you want to cut and make new plants with. That Royal Palm drops one leaf it takes out some branches also! It's brutal on the ones in the yard. Mild winter this year made for early growth this spring and the plumeria growth rate seems to double!
    I wish I knew how far apart to plant when I put them into this bed!.....but I'm not complaining!
    Thanks, Stuart

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Stuart, thank you for the information. It will help me plan my garden. Barbra

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Stuart,

Beautiful Gardens and Lovely Pool!!! I also like the lighting around the yard and Palms. We did some lighting in our yard to add more lights up into the palms. Love that look..my only problem is that it causes the breaker to pop... lol so hubby has to get the electricians out here to rewire the box . ARggg! It is beautiful at night tho.. just cant turn the waterfall on at the same time!!! LOL..

I grew up with Min Schnausers. We bred them and i showed them at dog shows when i was a teen. What a great time i had!!! We had Salt and Pepper, Black, Black and White Schnausers. Great dogs.. : )

Thank you for all of your gorgeous pics.. Paradise at its best!!!

Laura

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz