Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

New and Confused!!

No-Clue
12 years ago

Hi all,

So excited to have found you guys! Last month I decided to buy some flowers because I realized that they make me happy. Then I remember the few times I was in Hawaii how much I love Plumerias! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the beautiful fragrance. So I started looking for them at HD, Lowe's, Armstrong etc... to no avail. I came up empty.

Anyway, long story short... I adopted an orphan from the guy who was selling me organic eggs at my local farmer's market. He said something about leaving it in his backyard and it got soaked almost daily?? Anyway, I don't know what type of Plumeria this is but I know it's very very sick looking. I don't even have the basic knowledge of gardening so I'm not confident that I can save this baby which I have named Lola. I bought Jobe's organic time released fertilizer 5-5-5 and Maxicrop Seaweed Soluble Powder but now I'm too scared to use them! The more I read about fertilizer the more confused I got! So now I do nothing. :(

Lola is about 2.5 feet tall and has 14 leaves total but they are very frail looking. Yellow, thin, crunchy w/ brown spots. 3 of the leaves have broken off half way and oozing white stuff. The 4 new leaves look better. In the center I see some dark red/pinkish stick thingies about 1 inch long. I have no idea what they are. Maybe they were left over from last year after the flowers fell off?? I don't really know. So now what?? What's a girl to do?

Comments (12)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

I'll make some basic observations that will hopefully alleviate some of your angst.

1) Using a 1:1:1 fertilizer isn't the end of the world. Lots of people use them and have extremely healthy plants. I can make an excellent case that it's not an ideal choice for containerized plants, but you have concerns greater than your fertilizer's ratio.

2) You would probably have better results with a soluble fertilizer, if ideology/politics aren't an obstacle. If they are, that's fine, but fertilizers in soluble form are much easier to work with efficiently; that, because you know exactly what's available for uptake and when. When depending on organic soil amendments or fertilizers as a nutrition source, you have to wait until soil biota break down the hydrocarbon chains into elemental form before plants can get to the nutrients. There is no way to tell when or at what rate that might occur because of the boom/bust nature of soil life populations in containers.

3) Your biggest concerns now are determining whether or not your plant is suffering from root rot, and what to do if you determine it is. When you're sure you have that issue squared away, your focus should probably include making sure you water in a way that ensures good root function, which includes assessing that the soil the plant is in isn't inherently limiting.

Al

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Al for you reply.

Ok I just checked the stem is very firm and green... so can I safely assume it's not a rotting rot?

Should I insert one time released bullet thing now and see if that will help the leaves?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

I wouldn't make that assumption unless you're a gambler. The reason I say that has its roots in what YOU said - ".... soaked almost daily" and ".... very very sick looking." More often than not, declining containerized plants don't spontaneously reverse course w/o our hand playing a part, but if you want to put all your eggs in the 'it's probably all due to over-watering' basket and hope that getting the amount of water the plant receives into the favorable zone turns things around, you might have some success.

Still, you're going to need to make some judgment about the soil it's in. The pivotal question is, "Can I water this plant copiously, beyond the point of saturation to where I'm flushing accumulating salts from the soil when I water, and this without the worry that the soil will remain wet so long that root rot resurfaces as a question?" If you judge the answer to be NO, you're probably significantly increasing the likelihood that your results aren't going to be all they could be.

Examining the roots is pretty easy. All you need to do is lift the plant from the pot to perform a quick visual check of the roots and a sniff test. If the roots are fleshy & healthy - no need to look further, unless they are badly congested. If they are dark/slimy/sour smelling (smell like anything other than a fresh earthy odor), the condition needs attention - but no sense in crossing that bridge until we get there.

Al

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry you want me to pick upt the whole plant out of the pot? Wouldn't I kill it then?? OMG this is so scary!!

• elucas101
    12 years ago

Hi there! Personally, here's what I would do, maybe some others can chime in. I would do like he said and very gently turn the plant sideways or upside down and slide it out of the pot to look at the roots (do this when soil is dry). Examine the roots and see if there's any rot.

If there's not rot, let's move to examining the container / roots - is the plant root bound, in need of a bigger pot? I would also replant in a mixture of half potting soil (NOT moisture control) and half Perlite (available at any Lowes, HD, etc)

Place the plant in a sunny location and water it and then don't water it again until the soil is dry. Do not overwater, resist the urge.

This is your crash course! LOL! After you determine there's no rot, we can move on to fertilizer, more complex soils, etc. if you like but really this is all you need to get started. Check the roots and let us know what you find!

Good luck!
    Emily

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, after some pushing and pulling I got it out. The bottom off the pot where the holes are, were partially covered! So while the dirt is pretty dry on the top 2 inches the bottom is still wet. It smells like dirt... not nothing out of the ordinay. Doesn't look rotted to me... but what the heck do I know. The soil feels very heavy and dense. So I'm wondering it that is not a good soil?

I'm going to get some Perlite and Cactus mix like you said and re-pot it. If I don't do something it will die right? Thanks for your suggestion!

• jandey1
    12 years ago

No-Clue, don't panic. This is an acceptable time of year to re-pot as they are breaking dormancy. You can't hurt them much now. Pull away any dead-looking roots--this is called root-pruning and plumies respond well to it--and re-pot into fresh soil, preferably in a pot with lots of good drain holes.

Perlite and cactus mix will work very well, just water it then put it in partial or morning sun and leave it be to adjust to its new home. Poke an old bamboo chopstick or wood skewer several inches into the soil and pull it out and check it in a few days to get an idea of the soil's moisture level. When it's dry, water again.

The bad leaves are probably last year's. They will be yellowing and falling off on their own. As long as the new leaves from the tips look shiny and green, no worries.

I would wait a week or so before fertilizing, and then just give it a half-dose to start. If it looks like it's happy in the new soil, then begin regular fertilization. Good luck and let us know how it does!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok I won't panic. Just that I am already so attached to my baby! Gosh why couldn't I just pick roses or some other easier plants to fall in love with instead of Plumerias!

I will re-pot tomorrow per your instructions. Just one more question though... do I try to strip off as much oil soil as possible? Then do I add new mix on the bottom then put the plant in and add more mix? I'm sorry I really have zero experience! Thank you for your help!

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

No-Clue, from what I've read here many people will take a hose and get as much of the old out of the tree as possible. Then, they will prune the roots, sometimes significantly, and re pot. Like you I am new to this and very tentative. If you've got the guts to strip down some of the soil (shake it out) and trim up the roots, then just repot it in new and healthy soil if you are more comfortable. From the sound of it, your new friend is going to be far better off than it ever was so just do what you are comfortable doing.

Where are you in SD? Mike in Solana Beach at Pacific Plumeria has great prices and a wonderful selection, from what I hear. He's also very informative, I've spoken to him and he was quite helpful.

Best Luck, keep us posted,
    Wendy

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Wendy! Glad to meet another newbie! LOL. I feel like a first time mom. LOL. But what you said sounds doable so I'll give it a try tomorrow. Hopefully Armstrong will have the Organic Perlite and Catus Mix. I would probably need gloves, hat and shovel too I suppose.

Ok I will look up Mike in Solana Beach. But I'm much closer to John at the Jungle Jack's. But I'm willing to talk to anyone so I can learn what the heck I'm doing. Thanks again!!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hi No Clue,

Deep Breath!!! Now, another... : )

You are so cute..Such energy you have and it is exciting to see! Don't get to worried about getting things done before you know what you want to do first!

Can u post a picture of your tree?

If the roots look like they are fine and may need pruning, then it can be done quite easily. If they dont need pruning, you can always bareroot your tree and soak the old soil off in a bucket of roome temperature water with a little B-1 in it. Shake it and gently work the old soil off of the roots. It the untangled roots look like they are circling around the pot. i would cut a 1/3 to a 1/4 off the bottom . Then i would take a knife and makes some vertical cuts into the roots.

What size pot is it in now? What type of soil?

if its in five gallon pot, i would prune and put it back into the same pot . John at JJ is a great guy and can give you some great advise.

Dont be worried about soaking off the soil. its really easy. The hardest ppart it just "doing it" Your tree will thank you and will probably start to show more claw activity when you give it a betted home (Soil) to become comfortable in and have proper drainage.

AL has given you some great advice as well as all of the others here. Like jen said, RELAX!!! This is a fun hobby. as long as you dont cross over to the other side...LMAO!!! If you need help with that.. i know plenty of people who can offer assistance. : )

Im sure you can get this tree to be in a better place. Saokk the soil off prune a little and pot it up into a better well draining mix. Set it in an area soo it can acclimate to the sun annd then bring it out to full sun after a few weeks. Water well at first after you repot and let it dry out. Use the skwere if unsure of the moisture level and then you will get the feel of how to water. They always say when we water Plumeria..if you think they need it..wait a few days...

When you are trying to figure out how deep to put the tree. Place some soil on the bottom of the container. Gently place the rootball on top and see if it is high enough. If ur not sure how deep to pot, look at where it is in the soil area now and maybe that can be a guide. You can always add more soil to the bottom to gain the right height. once you like the position of the tree. Gently add the soil around the roots and continue to add your mixture until it is high enought and looks good to you. Make sure the soil is packed in and that your tree is not loose or unstable. You could stake it or make tie downs..to make it stable so it wont move. Some of us use Styrofoam cut in shaped and placed between the stem and the outer part of the container. SOme use white rocks. I have used seashells to stabilize my trees.

Enjoy!!!

Nice to have you here!!!

Welcome,

Laura

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome Laura! I think I can do it! I will definitely take some photos tomorrow. Will report my progress. This is so exciting... as long as you guys are here to hold my hand. I'm scared I will hurt the baby. But you are right it will be happier. So many good suggestions. Thank you you!!