Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
horizontal graft

Posted by rox146 none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 16:14

I was wondering. I have 2 different plumeria trees next to each other where 1 of the branches from each is touching the other tree...I was thinking of trying a "sideways" graft so to speak and see what becomes of the blooms at the ends of these 2 trees where the splice was made? Any comments or thoughts of success rate? This is the time of year, right? I was going to make a curvy cut on each sside of the 2 so they could "melt" together. They are not rare collectibles, they are common 1 white and 1 yellow that I got before I knew they even had names....roxanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: horizontal graft

My assumption but if you splice two together and it takes hold each tip will continue to grow based on its own genetic code. I think you just might end up with a big graft scar. However, I am not speaking from any grafter experience and would encourage experimenting. I guess the good news would be that you know it will either be white, yellow or nothing. If you choose to do it good luck and post pictures.

o

thanks kms2. I like to experiment and thought of doing this before I prune their limbs harder. Wonder if the blooms would be varied like mottled yellow and white then...? roxanne

o

Rox, I don't think they would be a combination. Each branch would have its own code and would bloom the color of its original parent. I have seen multi grafts onto the same plant to give it different blooms at plant shows. I'm not a fan but it might be very unique to someone else.

I am in full agreement on experimenting and new ideas/techniques. How can we possibly expect that all is known or understood about growing Plumerias in the ground or in containers? There is always more to know.

o

mahalo...roxanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here