Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nativec

The best yellow plumie...whats your opinion?

nativec
11 years ago

Hello everyone! It was brought to my attention, by a nosey garden snooper(my husband..LOL) That of all the plumerias in my collection, I have failed to ever purchase a yellow variety. As strange as it may seem I never realized it. He was right(of course it was required for me to say he was right..LOL). So to clear up what appears to be a clear avoidance of the color yellow. I wonder what the favorites are out there... Looks like a bit of extra plumeria shopping may be in order! Oh, bummer :)

Comments (21)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

I dont have one but Im sure the group would say Inca and Aztec gold are the most popular. One these 2 I hope to get soon.

Mike

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one missing yellow :)

• plumie_girl
    11 years ago

My fave is Aztec Gold. Great scent & nice flower.

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks like 2 votes for Aztec :) Thank you plumie_girl!

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    11 years ago

My vote goes to Thorton's Lemon Drop. Very hearty grower, seems to flower off every tip, interesting flower shape and a nice lemony soapy mild scent. See a full sized version in the post I attached below. Gorgeous plant.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg08163210626.html?4476c8ecf36738107d10a3d3c7950fe0&rnd=iUwhT

• animalcraker
    11 years ago

I just bought an Aztec Gold and Thortons Lemon Drop at the San Diego cutting sale. So those 2 would be my vote. I can't wait for the peach scented blooms of the Aztec, it's also an early bloomer and easy rooter. Downside is that it's known to be a tall grower. Thortons Lemon Drop has a citrus lemon scent, is compact, and known to be a heavy bloomer. I got a 16 inch, 3 tip cutting that is pushing an inflo on every tip and there's evidence of 3 prior inflos on the cutting. So within 16 inches there's 6 inflos that have formed. I can't wiat to see my little cutting grow up into a nice compact tree. You have to be careful buying Thorntons lemon drop, since there's another plumeria called lemon drop which isn't as nice or compact and often the names are used interchangeably.

~Jen

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

I agree with Mjhuntingtonbeach!!!

Elizabeth Thorton Lemon Drop is my favorite as well...

Loved all of your pictures.. I had the pleasure of visiting Bud's yard and i will say that he is a gentleman and his yard is just amazing. He took me and my DH over to John's to see his yard since i love palm trees as well. John really has a great collection of Plumeria and Palms in his yard.

Thanks for the great tour and enjoying all of the pics from Bud's... Truly a yard to be admired as well as one of the nicest men that i have ever met.

My vote is for Lemon Drop!!!

Take care,

Laura

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

I did what Jen was talking about at the end of my post.

Wanted to clarify that i Love the E.T. Lemon Drop !!! Not the other LD.

Take care,

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Thornton's Lemon Drop. AG and IG in my opinion are great plants but can get leggy.

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone! I must say the Thorton's Lemon Drop is really beautiful! Thank you MJ for sharing the link! A huge thank you for all the other opinions and input :). I think I'm ready for a "little" shopping.... Now to find it:)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

I just saved up and shelled out for a large TLD that I'll pick up in June, so that would have to be at the top of my list as it's so recommended by people in the know. Large flower, good scent, compact growth habit, plus a beautiful shape to the petals are what make it a winner.

However, of the few flowers I've actually had bloom for me, this yellow was the most satisfying:

Veracruz Lutica is a long-lasting, thick flower with a heavenly citrus/vanilla scent. My plant is very young but the brances seem pretty hefty. Can't say what the eventual mature growth habit will be but the flower is fantastic.

And the flower did open completely for me here in Texas:

Have fun shopping for your new plumeria!
    Jen

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen

Thank you for posting that beautiful flower! Funny I ran across the Veracruz Lutica in my search. So now to complicate matters I may need to get both:) Each year I give myself an allowance of how many new trees I can add. I may have to amend that :)

• Kimo
    11 years ago

My vote is tied between Thortons Lemon Drop and Mela Pa Bowman
    Mela Pa Bowman sometimes keeps her leaves all winter long, very strong scent, just a little leggy but fast grower.

Mela Pa Bowman

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love them all!!! The Mele Pa Bowman looks so beautifully delicate. I seem to like something about each one...LOL This is exactly how I got myself in trouble with reds! Everyone has been so wonderful and helpful!! Thank you!

Nicole

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Ok so where can I get a Thorton Lemon drop. I check Florida colors, Brads, and Maui. None seem to have it.

mike

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Upland nursery has a "lemon drop" I sent an email inquiring if it was Thorton's. The response was, "It's the same" Call me a skeptic but if it's Thorton's wouldn't that be on the listing? I will say though I have received great cuttings from Upland Nursery.

• tinamib
    11 years ago

All I am sort of new here and will share my yellow one! I don't know the name because a friend gave it to me. It was from a trip to Hawaii and all the package said was "White Plumeria". It is beautiful. I planted it in 2010, something ate the top of it off before coming out in Spring of 2011 so it didn't start showing leaves until last summer. It started blooming in October or November and bloomed till January of this year. I am hoping to get earlier blooms this year.

{{gwi:1160889}}

If someone could help me with the name, I would appreciate it.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1160889}}

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tina
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful blooms! Have you looked at pictures of Celadine to compare? Hopefully those with more experience with yellow varieties will chime in given that I don't yet own any yellows:)

Take care
    Nicole

• ralphglass
    11 years ago

I love my Aztec Gold! Just bout a Lemondrop cutting from Upland Nurseries.

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

For anyone looking for yellow plumeria, I have a couple of different varieties. Just give me a shout if you are interested and I can let you know what I have available. You can reach me at ThePlumeriaPatch@cfl.rr.com

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Mike, I checked with Florida Colors and they do have Thornton's Lemon Drop grafted. Emerson Willis also has rooted available. Email me and I'll send you his email addy as his website address seems to have expired.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia