Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimithing78

No growth yet - is it a goner?

jimithing78
12 years ago

Hello everyone, just looking for some expert opinions on my plumeria. I bought a cutting at the airport in Maui about 3 years ago and started it in a pot. It's done well, flowering nicely last summer. It was getting kind of tall so I cut it back last fall when it had lost most of it's leaves. I put the pot into a shed next to my house. Previous winters I had put it in my attached garage but like I said it had gotten pretty big so I tried it in the shed.

Well when I got it out of the shed a month ago or so the top parts of the branches were all shriveled up and those upper branches were spongy. So I cut it back some more to what I thought was good wood. But now the same thing has happened again - the outer part is shriveled up and it's spongy again where it had been firm.

I'm just north of Dallas - we only had 1 freeze this Winter and I don't think it got below about 27 or 28. I don't know what the temperature inside the shed was at that time but I don't think it was below freezing. Since I brought it out of the shed the daytime highs have been in the low 70's and the lows in the upper 50's. Shouldn't it have put out some leaves by now? Should I cut it back some more or is it just a goner?

If it's gone does anyone have suggestions for getting plumeria around Dallas? Or suggestion of a good seller on Ebay? I'm not well versed in the different varieties. I just want something pleasantly fragrant. Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• elucas101
    12 years ago

Hi there! Well, you've definitely got some rot going on, it could be coming from the roots / bottom...when you cut it back it looked like clean, white wood? You have nothing to lose at this point, I would try cutting it. It will only continue to spread. Maybe someone more experienced can offer some better advice than I can.

Unfortunately, I've had the exact same experience as you, decided on a shed one winter instead of the garage and I lost about 5 2yr old plants. Even though it may not have been an actual freeze, they really can't tolerate extended periods below 50 degrees.

If it comes to buying new ones I'm not sure of places in Dallas but I know Maui Plumeria Gardens has many great cuttings and I just got a great order from them. Brad's Buds and Blooms is also great. eBay is a little trickier, if you decide to go that route I would stay with a US seller.

Good luck and I'm so sorry, keep us updated!

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Jim, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Make sure when you cut down again to clean wood that you wipe your blade off with rubbing alcohol before you make that final cut, then sprinkle the cut with fungicide or even cinnamon to help prevent the rot going further. Hopefully that will save the plant.

If they sit on cold concrete for long over winter, even if barely freezing, they can rot easily. I lost one in the garage this spring, though the others near it were fine. It may be that if they're stressed over the growing season--as ours were from the drought--they may be more susceptible to rot over the following winter.

You might try a vigorous cultivar like Celadine, Aztec Gold, or Miami Rose next time. If you call or email Florida Colors they will gladly point you to some good varieties.

Jen

• jimithing78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well thanks for the replies but I went to cut it down some more tonight and the core was rotted all the way down to the soil level. At the soil level the trunk was probably 5" in diameter. The outside felt firm but when I cut it the core was obviously dead and mushy. So I guess I'll need to find a replacement. Thanks for the suggestions so far on sellers and varieties - I'll look into them. If anyone has any more I'm all ears.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hey There!!

If you are looking for Ebay sellers.. I like Bloomingplumerias.... They are great to work with and i like the prices of their rooted trees.

One stop aloha is another good one (Jim Little Cuttings) I also have had a great experience with them as well..

Brads Buds and Blooms. Just received a rooted tree from them and im very happy with the experience.

Maui Plumeria Gardens..

Florida Colors..

Jungle Jacks in Orange County CA

These are my favorites!!

Good luck and im sorry about your tree...

Take care,

Laura

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    12 years ago

I have no advice for what your plumeria is experiencing since I'm a newbie but I can recommend these following nurserys:

Maui Plumeria Gardens -- Doug sends wonderful green fat plump healthy cuttings that arrive at your door within 2 business days. He also sends you a mystery cutting. With my last order, I got 2 free mystery cuttings, which both are doing splendid -- actually one has 3 to 3 1/2 sized leaves on it. My Maui beauty that I got from him has about 3 inch leaf plus an inflo forming.

I've just recently bought from Florida Nursery colors -- the two cuttings that I received was rather slender but looks good. Plus I found that they are very nice people. If they don't have a cutting that you want, they will let you pick a replacement. I've corresponded with them with over several emails while Carol patiently awaited my decision.

Also I purchased from Upland Nursery -- some cuttings can be a bit pricey there but the two that I received were nice fat plump cuttings which I can't wait for them to grow leaves and eventually bloom.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor