Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwhite2947

Question: Roots on Plant in Clear Plastic Bottle Turning Green

jwhite2947
11 years ago

I bought rooted cuttings in early March. I planted them in cactus mix in milk jugs so I could watch root development and kept them inside until this week. The weather is warm enough to put them outside this week. The roots are turning green where I can see them. The plants are doing fine -- putting on leaves and roots are increasing. Is this a problem? I wanted to keep them in the milk jugs a little longer to develop better roots before I planted them in their permanent pots. Should I go ahead and pot them to keep the light from reaching the roots?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Joan

Comments (10)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Hi Joan! Ya know, I bet they are just getting a little surface algae from being in the jug / moisture / condensation. Almost like in a fish tank. Although i haven't seen this firsthand, this would be my best guess as they are not naturally green.

I don't know that it is hurting them per se, but it may indicate some excess moisture that may become a problem when the temps ramp up a bit more. I would keep an eye on the moisture level of the soil in the jug to determine whether to move them.

• jwhite2947
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Algae makes sense. It is happening where the soil looks moist. I am watching the amount of water I give the plants already. I have only watered twice since I got them the first of March, but I may have given them more than they really needed at the time. I will make sure they get pretty dry before I water again. Thanks for the reply. I am so excited about my new plants I am a little over protective.

Joan

• rox146
    11 years ago

Are there LOTS of holes in the bottom of the milk jug? roxanne

• jwhite2947
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes. Several large holes. Thanks for checking.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

I have seen roots turn green when exposed to light. That could be the reason why they are turning green. It could be there is no problem of infection, etc.

• animalcraker
    11 years ago

You could always cover the outside of the carton with a garbage bag or cloth to prevent sunlight from hitting the roots, but still being able to check on them. My guess would be one of three of things are happening, 1)The roots are reacting to the sunlight and hardening, just like they would on any other tree when the roots end up above the soil line, 2)Algae is being created as elucas suggested, or 3)If you've used sphagnum or peat moss in your mix you may have some moss growing, I've ended up reserecting both types of moss when I bag rooted in the windowsill.

-Jennifer

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Algae is a possibility, but If there is no bloom of algae conspicuous anywhere else, it's likely a protective reaction to light. The pigment 'chlorophyll' is nature's sunscreen for plants, and it's common for structures not normally exposed to light to produce chlorophyll to protect the tissue from photo-oxidation (sunburn). Potatoes are root structures that can be seen to quickly begin chlorophyll production when exposed to light ...... which is why they are stored in the dark. The reason most plants burn when moved from indoors or shade to full sun, is because chlorophyll production after the move that would represent sufficient protection lags the move by several days - or in some cases, even after a period of adjustment, the plant is simply not programmed (genetically) to tolerate the photo-exposure it's exposed to.

Al

• jwhite2947
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to everyone so much. The information available here is amazing. I want to keep the plants in the sun because they are developing such nice leaves but I am going to cover the containers with paper. I can't see how the sun on the roots can helpful. Such an easy fix. I appreciate the suggestion so much.

Thanks so much Al for your explanation. I will transition my plants from inside to shade to more sun slowly.

Joan

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Jen and Al - great info on the roots doing that to protect themselves from sun and air, I did not know that!

But now I do!!!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

the green (chlorophyll) won`t hurt the roots, once you pot the plants up they will be fine. I keep cuttings in a window in the kitchen and the roots are always green. They look pretty cool. It happens in the yard too, we have those monsoon rains that wash everything away. I just cover them back up.

Tally HO!