Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneyhorse

Seeds are sprouting... Now what?

disneyhorse
10 years ago

My first attempt at starting seeds... In paper towels in a baggie... Now what? Do I wait till they are bigger to plant them? How big of pots? I normally start seeds in those little peat pots in a seed tray, so this little guy just seems so awkward!

Comments (8)

• ShellysPlumies
    10 years ago

Hello,
    Wow looking nice! Do you know what variety this came from?

Well I always just buy clear plastic cups from the dollar store and put one in each with soil and perlite. Just stick the root part all the way in and watch it grow :)

Shelly

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Nice...I put mine in a perlite/cactus soil mix into 4"-6" plastic pots at that stage. If the seed covers are partially off and the cotyledons are green, I mist them with water just enough to moisten the seed husks, and gently remove them with tweezers...veeeery carefully. Then I sparingly spray their contaners with a dilute solution of superthrive, and put them iin a sunny window. I heard on another forum that the seedlings showing a reddish tint to their stems and or leaves end up being the cultivars with the best chance of being exeptional plants, don't know if it's true or not, but those are the ones I transplant, first.

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, that's very helpful! These first six are "unknown" mixed freebies that I got along with eBay purchased seeds from "Fuzzy" in HI. I bought two named seeds, "Waimea" and "JL Pink Pansy." I figured if I was going to dabble in seeds, I'd try some legit ones.
    I started with the mystery seeds just in case I killed them, but all six have sprouted so my confidence is okay. I actually think "mystery" seeds are exciting though!

• rox146
    10 years ago

enjoy...it took mine over 6 years to bloom....I am getting ready to do 2 more pods off of some really good cuttings I brought from Oahu a few years ago. It does take a lot of time and patience.....roxanne

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

@Disneyhorse. Ummm, you do know that seeds don't necessarily look like their parent plants, right? They can resemble one or the other parent, or neither. If you want a duplicate of a particular variety, it's best to take a cutting of it. That said, if your seedlings are healthy and strong, but don't bloom as desired, or bloom poorly, you can always use them as graft-stock, (the rooted base of a plumeria plant) and you can graft the desired cutting to it. The nice thing about seedlings, although it's a bit of a crap-shoot, you may end up with a really nice cultivar, and if so, you can submit and register it with the PSA.

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Desamecyra... Thanks for the heads-up, I am aware that seedlings take a long time to get to blooming age and who knows what they will look like. That's what makes it interesting. I don't know much of anything about plumerias, so these are my experiment :)

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Well,Disneyhorse, in that you're not alone. I'm still a novice with growing plumeria, too, but having a blast learning about these plants that thrive on neglect. Much luck with your babies, too!
    (I've around 36 seedlings on my windowsills, -would've never guessed that year old seed could still sprout w. almost 100% germination....!) Guess I'd better invest in some pots, and quick! I wish you happy surprises with your seedlings, or vigorous and healthy graft-stock, whichevery works best for you, and lots of fun.

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is what the seedling in the very first photo looks like today. It's a no ID... But still alive! I've got a bunch of little seedlings now, I'm sprouting a dozen every week just in case I accidentally kill some (like one batch had too much water and not enough heat)...

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus