Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_first_kms2

Proof that everything wakes up at its own schedule

the_first_kms2
12 years ago

The nice warm and humid weather has done good things for my plumerias. Each one is in its own stage of growth where some have a few inflos and leaves, and others are pusing inflos and tiny leaves and some just have shiny tips and a hint of an inflo.

A Penang Peach which bloomed until December still holding last year's leaves finally starts leaves and an inflo

{{gwi:1161267}}

A Celadine and Pink with a few weeks of new leaves and some inflos.

{{gwi:1161268}}

Rainbow shaking off some frosted tips. A cold snap caught me unprepared.

{{gwi:1150452}}

Sept 2011 rooted cuttings waking up:

{{gwi:1161269}}

Inflos on a Celadine on the rooftop. These guys get 12-14 hours of full sun a day:

{{gwi:1161270}}

Another Rooftop Celadine:

{{gwi:1161271}}

A rooftop no ID Pink is almost there:

{{gwi:1161272}}

{{gwi:1161273}}

{{gwi:1161274}}

Comments (10)

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

K,

Terrific photos! A pleasure to look at them--your trees look great. And your rooftop looks amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

Greg

• eyal
    12 years ago

Those pink buds are just brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

• pcput
    12 years ago

WOW !!! Look at those inflos !!! It will be smelling great at your place soon. Peg

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

That second pic is my dream; large and beautiful trees, elegant and tall. Love all the pics, what a beautiful collection! Such inspiration. :o)

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

awesome, lots of blooms

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hey K,

Love all of your inflos...I am sure you are a very happy man with all of those blooms...

You are so lucky to have them at home and at the office!!

Strong work!!

Bravo!!!

Laura

• jandey1
    12 years ago

K, those Celadines do make a nicely shaped small tree! Did you get them all root-pruned this spring? And they're okay with so much sun up there? The few I've tried to keep out for at least 6 hours usually end up with scorched leaves!

Wildfire I'm sure stalled out last year from all the burned leaves so I've moved it. Some are definitely more sun-sensitive than others. Intense Rainbow is one of the few who shrugs off more than a few hours of direct midday sun.

The rainbow you gave me is still thinking about rooting. It looks like yours just branched out from the damaged tips without you having to cut.

The pink looks like it makes fantastic big inflos! What a great way to work, being able to look out at all that beauty. All your hard work definitely shows!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the compliments. My Office has become the "dumping grounds" for plumerias which have become too big for my backyard. I root pruned some this year but none at the office as they were transplanted 2years ago into those 25 gallon pots and got a good pruning then. I figure I have two more years before they need a refresh.

I goofed on the Rainbow but it seems to be fixing itself. I did remove a couple of tips further up which were shriveling up and the new growth from the leaf nodes has actually progressed further than the tips I left alone (food for thought). Maybe I'll get a couple of inflos from it this year. If not then next year will be a great year for it. I hope that cutting roots for you. Its a great specimen. Here is a picture of it from last year:
    {{gwi:1161275}}

Those 5 Celadines and Pinks on the roof are up there from March until December going on three years. They have to be watered 3-4 times per week during the summer but have never had any sun related problems. by May or June they have huge full leaves and inflos all over. So I think the leaves do a very good job of keeping things cool and since they are more mature they have thicker bark (my assumption but makes sense to me).

I have 4 more Pinks and Celadines and one huge Jeannie Moragne on a lower balcony which faces south east so they get sun from about 8am until 1pm. The Jeannie has maybe 10 forming inflos on it and about as many leaves.

The pinks and celadines are my recommendation for anyone wanting to a simple but still very attractive plumeria which will bloom (given the recommended conditions) almost without fail after the second year of rooting.

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

My first soon to be blooms....
    Noid Pink And white

Inca Gold

Very excited! Many more on the way, but these are my closest. Cannot wait!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

How beautiful!!!

Congratulations on your first blooms!!!

What a great feeling!!!

Great job Wendy!!!

CHEERS...

Laura