Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

C-Star Nursery in So. Cal.

rox146
10 years ago

Aloha out there. has anyone been scooping up Plumerias with the C-Star tag on them in the last few years? I have some common ones and then special ordered their "premier" ones....someone told me they re-name things so you don't know if you are getting duplicates. IE. the 1 they call Inspiration...is it AKA something else? I know they call Vera Cruz Rose" Lilyanna".... this always makes things tough when you are trying to increase the collection w/o duplicates. Last year I bought Canary Yellow from them and Goldmine....hope not renamed....mahalo, roxanne

Comments (12)

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Roxanne,
    Armida and Norma do rename many plumies. The Cstar sisters get a variety of pumies they find and then name it even if is a named cultivar already. Over the years the sisters have carried VCR, Aztec Gold, Singapore white, Guillots Sunset, Japanese Lantern, Kaneohe Suburst, ets.,, and most had been given a Cstars name. The rule of thumb with Cstars is go there when things are blooming so you can identify the plant/flower before you buy it. Cstar also carries their own varieties like Marmalade, etc.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks...I ordered Marmalade 2 years ago and it blooms great and smells great.

• DelWH
    10 years ago

There was a file I found somewhere that had a list of Cstar plumie names and their AKA's. May have been on the Facebook Plumeria Growers group.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darn, don't do Facebook...roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Me either...

Sounds interesting tho!!

Hi James!!!

Laura

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Silly question, so why doesn't C -Star have a web site? They are a major seller to Green Thumb Nursery out here in Ca. and 1 would think....all they have is a poster at the nursery you could read a few lines on about others they have...roxanne

• DelWH
    10 years ago

I think it is because they are mostly a wholesaler. You can see when you go there that it isn't really set up for retail customers. 8*)

• DelWH
    10 years ago

The good thing about the Facebook groups is that there are tons of pictures and experiments going on. Plus a lot of Thai, Malaysian, Italian, etc growers are on there sharing pics. The threads are almost instant response, much like texting. It's also much easier to post pics of the plumies on there also. There was a pic of a 300 year old plumeria tree in China on there awhile back. The trunk must have been 20 feet or more in diameter.

Also recently had a few pictures from Bud's birthday party on there. Good stuff.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Roxanne,
    Cstars back in 2006 had a very simple site but they took it down as they wanted a better interactive site and they were working on it back then. I hooked Armida and Norma up with a friend (Tony on the web) who designed sites and he was going to even design their site for free as a favor to me, but according to my friend communication broke down and he did not pursue it as he is always busy. I think DelWH is also correct that since Cstars is wholesale and mainly focused locally in So Cal (Except for Lowes and HD which are supplied fby a central distributor). they may have decided to put the website on the back burner.

Laura,
    How you doinnnnn?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

LOL... James, right now i'm shaking.. LOL

HOW YOU DOINGGGGG? Im going to start a new thread... I have a guest!! ;-)

Cheers!!! YES!!!!

Laura

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Here's their FB page. Not much activity though.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/C-Stars-Nursery/163360840358367

Here is a link that might be useful: C-Star Nursery

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Here's a couple of entries from the Facebook list for Cstars, they have been compiled from different sources so some comments are repeated:

Gold Mine Recommended. Largest individual flowers. Large multicolor golden yellow flower with orange center. Petals have radiating orange pink lines, round petals, pointed tip. When hot the flowers open up and look more of a solid red, then fade to a yellow rainbow but grainy looking.

Marmalade looks like 'Angelica'. looks like a mix between J-105 and Penang Peach. Leaves are very different and round.. has a Thai look. Possible PP seedling. dark star running down the center of the bloom. Incredibly nice large salmon/orange/pink round flower. Overlapping petals. Absolutely beautiful and smells like peach. Salmon orange & dark pink, overlapping & the texture is thick & waxy. Also appears to be a compact grower. It almost looks like Penang Peach or a relative as it shares the same leaves with the hook. Color is really nice & its scent is cocoa butter coconuts peachy cream. Petals are waxy and thick. Scent has notes of singapore along with fruit & vanilla

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?