Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daogirl

JJ-watch '14

I can't help it, I'm already dropping in to Lowes and HD to scan the plant section ... LOL. No plumeria yet (of course), but Lowes has some really beautiful Red Sister Ti plants.

I've been following JJ's blog posts - the pictures of the thousands of cuttings on rooting tables are crazy! The Facebook page also just posted that some JJ plants were shipped to TX - Buchanan's Native Plants in Houston, Maas in Seabrook, Turner's GardenLand in Corpus Christi, and Water Garden Gems in San Antonio. So, hopefully it won't be too much longer for us ...

Comments (27)

• rox146
    10 years ago

Seems last year it was June....atleast here in Ventura. Maybe with the mild winter sooner this time? Cannot wait! roxanne

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I think the plants showed up in mid-to-late May for us, since he had that price match special until the first week of June. Buuuut ... a girl can always hope!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Lol Daogirl, I am stopping once a week at both chains but now I feel Ive gotta step up my game. Call me a nut...

Any new varieties this year?

• isobea
    10 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I've been seeing plumerias (I gal and bigger ones) at the Armstrong Garden Center in Carlsbad for the last 2 weeks. It seems they are all C-Stars plants, no JJ's, though. Might be worth a trip even though C-Stars has different names for lots of their plants. Happy hunting!
    Iso

• rox146
    10 years ago

Big shipment of Cstars at Green Thumb Nurseries too...all their normal stuff though...

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Are you all looking for JJ's collector's plants or just looking for a deal on the more basic stuff? John has very few that he mass produces for that purpose so you won't find the named cultivars least the NEW releases at HD or Lowe's.

This post was edited by No-Clue on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 19:43

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm looking for Desert Sunrise (at a reasonable price), which I passed up TWICE last year at Lowes/HD. (*smacks forehead*)

I haven't seen C-stars at Armstrong yet - at least, they weren't there yesterday ... LOL. I think I've gotten all the C-stars plants that I want, though.

I do hope to make it to Vista at some point this summer.

• rox146
    10 years ago

ALERT!!!!!!! Just spoke to my friend who manages our LOWES.....said the shipment should be coming in end of April to middle of May...he was not sure if they hit the SoCal stores first and then sprinkle north.... I have my list, do you?

• rox146
    10 years ago

anything out there yet???? roxanne

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No JJ that I have seen yet. OC Farm Supply just got in a few plumeria, but I don't know what they are, since I only saw their printed listings of what arrived last week.

I got an email from John at JJ this morning, though! I bought a premium yellow-white last year because I really liked its growth habit. I sent John an email last summer to see if he could ID it, but I didn't really hear back with anything definitive. Then this morning, I get an email from him letting me know that he'd hung on to my email and had been comparing it to the new named varieties from this year. Turns out I have a dwarf plumeria called Lemon Ice that's a new named introduction for this year. How cool! (No pun intended) And how amazingly nice that John contacted me in the midst of everything else he's got going on.

• rox146
    10 years ago

All good news. roxanne

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Yes, the fact that he bothered to email you says a lot of the person he is. Most people wouldn't take the time.

I bet you're the first person ever to know that they have JJ Lemon Ice! :)

I will be on JJ-watch '14, but I will only be watching. Mostly. There are still a few cuttings that I want, but after having to move all my trees in the house this winter I realize just how many that I already have. I am going to spend this year nurturing each and every one of them. Well, I do still want Desert Sunrise and will get it but that doesn't count as I will be replacing the one I lost last year. And I have been wanting Cote d' Or and if I were to get it, that one wouldn't count either because it is one I should have gotten last year. lol j/k

Honestly, I don't think that I will buy more than 5 more this year.

• rox146
    9 years ago

any word out there? Spoke again to Lowes garden manager....said our area down for mid to late May now....get your list ready. roxanne

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It'll be the end of May ... that's straight from John. I'm ready!!!

• rox146
    9 years ago

Many Mahalos...I am ready too....roxanne

• No-Clue
    9 years ago

Looks like May 19th. He said he threw in some special ones too. Have fun hunting you all!

• rox146
    9 years ago

I am soooooo excited and I wish I knew the code... :-)))

• rox146
    9 years ago

meant to ask, does this mean he ships out on that day? Or, is that the day Lowes gets them? Like Easter Egg Hunting!

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

haha, Roxanne - I had the same thought about the date. Maybe Lynn knows. I thought he also said he was going to publish a blog post about the codes used on the plants ... one of the last great mysteries of life. LOL

• rox146
    9 years ago

this is all very important stuff! I have figured a way to hit 3 Lowes in 1 day searching for my list and friends wish lists....

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aha! I saw the facebook post - they will be on the shelves at Lowes the week of May 19th. I wonder if Home Depot gets them around the same time?

• rox146
    9 years ago

week of is a big loop hole....I was hoping for an actual date, will call my friend the manager at Lowes... :-)))

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

I wonder the chances of Lowes in Jacksonville, FL receiving a shipment. Anybody from that area?

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Since we never get anything within a 90-mile radius, I just placed an order for shipping :)

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

How fun!! I wish we could get some of those here!

Have fun on the search!!

What did you order Jen, if you don't mind me asking?

Mark

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Mark, four of us went in together for Sunsplash, J105, Serenade and Atlantis. I wanted a solid recommendation from John and he gave me one (Serenade) so it was nice to call and get personal service.

There's a place north of San Antonio that gets JJ's in but they're the more popular ones like California Sunset and Divine, none of the more unusual ones. We already picked them clean last summer :)

• isobea
    9 years ago

Does anyone know where to find a list (with pictures if possible) of JJ's 2014 releases? I can't seem to find one anywhere...
    Iso

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH