Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf Color v Flower Color

Posted by kobe3 South Australia (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 11 at 19:16

Does the leaf color indicate what the flower color will be on seedlings? I have some seedlings that are now about 2 years old and a few of them have dark plum colored leaves, they are seedlings of: Pinwheel Rainbow, Waimea, Many Moragne & Violet. I know these seedlings are all from colored parents but other seedlings from the same stock are the normal lovely color of green. Am I right to be getting excited that my plum colored seedlings might throw a very dark flower?

Regards,
Heather.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf Color v Flower Color

Hi Heather,

I have the same going on with my seedlings--of six varieties I have observed the dark plum-colored leaves on some, but not all, of the seedlings of: Vera Cruz Rose, Peterson's Gold, Mardi Gras and JL Tornado. Of those, only the Tornado parent has a dark colored flower so I think it's unlikely that the plum will predict the flower color. But who knows?! It'll be fun to see how these babies grow up.

Jen

o

• Posted by kobe3 South Australia (My Page) on
    Sun, May 1, 11 at 18:09

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the reply :)
It is fun watching them grow... lets hope it's not too many years before they flower. Here in Australia we are in Autumn so I have to be patient for a few months till they wake up.

How old are your seedlings?

Heather

o

My seedlings are all between 5-7 months old and range anywhere from 9 inches tall down to barely 2 inches. The Mardi Gras look like they've hardly grown at all while the Vera Cruz Rose are growing into behemoths! There are some varieties, too, that seem to have wide variation amongst themselves. What cool Aussie varieties are you growing?

To be optimistic, I did see a couple of people here and there say they had inflos coming up on seedlings as young as 1 or 1-1/2 years old! We can dream, can't we?

o

• Posted by kobe3 South Australia (My Page) on
    Wed, May 4, 11 at 19:03

My oldest seedlings have just turned 3 years old, one of them (fireworks) is about 2 foot tall and has the main trunk as well as 3 branches coming out from the trunk. It sprouted these branches low down on the trunk at an early age. I have another seedling (Red Ruby) that is only 5 months old and it is doing the same, quite exciting :)
Most of my seedlings are grown from seeds purchased overseas, they are:
Marmalade Dream, Kona, Ammerons Curly White, Dane, Waimea, Ngam Prompt, Scott Pratt, Calcutta Star, Jenny Pink, Morange 78, Red Morangne, Choko Delight, India Hybrid, Violet Star Shape, Donald Angus, Manini, Wildfire, and a few others.
I'm REALLY hoping some of the bigger ones will flower when the weather warms up again.

o

I have noticed that my darkest reds tend to have purple leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here