Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneyhorse

Can anyone ID this white plumeria?

disneyhorse
10 years ago

My neighbor's big tree is just starting to bloom. I've got a few rooted cuttings from it. I'm new to plumerias and to me it looks pretty generic. Any ideas?

Comments (14)

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Additional photo

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Whats the scent like? This early on in the season kind of hard to say for sure, kind of looks a bit like Psycho white....Bill?
    Again whats it smell like??

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 14:14

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm... All the current flowers are at the top of the tree (I had to hold my phone way up to get these pictures) but I will see if I can steal a flower off of it when no one is home to smell....

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

You ought to take a photo of the back of the bloom too, as well as of the whole plant...just in case there are any tell-tale characteristics that might id it. For example Psycho White has a red stripe on the back of each petal.

Unfortunately, whites are quite common and it could be anything, or a seedling.

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the tree, it grows like a weed and is easy to root cuttings.

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smell is fairly strong and sweet

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the reverse side

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Wow that looks to me like Bills "psycho" white to me.

of course only he can confirm.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 15:02

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, just googled Psycho White/Gardena and it does seem like that's what it is. Very vigorous and not too much dormancy... I'm just not a fan of white flowers, but at least it likes to bloom..

• Kimo
    10 years ago

In the South Bay area of So Cal Psycho White can keep a lot of its leaves during winter and is a very vigorous grower.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I don't think that looks like Psycho. Psycho has a stronger red band on the back and very distinctive rounded petals. Also has a medium perfume scent. I think we'd have to wait for Bill to say definitively, though.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Hey Jaundy,
    I prefaced and stated that "it is early in the season to ID". Because its still cold in So Cal plumies usually do not look the same in terms of intensity of color or marking, even shapes are effected by cooler temps and overcast weather.
    So I definitely think Bill would be the person to identify Psycho White as he sees it in all the different temps and forms.

Cheers

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

Those of you who know me have heard this before, but you cannot ever really identify a plant from a picture. Because we do this, people buy plants that are look alikes but not the actual plant. If you get a cutting off a plant, you know what you get. With seedlings, you can get a variety that looks so much like a named plant that you would put money on it except you know the pod came off an entirely different plant. That said, this could be a relative of Psycho or Gardena but until someone develops genome tests for plumerias, we will never really know. You can call it a Psycho, but sell cuttings as possibly a psycho or looks like a psycho. Bring over a flower and a leaf sometime in the summer and you can have a better idea by matching the psycho mom; Bill

• rox146
    10 years ago

well said Bill......roxanne