Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudmamasd

Badly Burnt

ProudMamaSD
12 years ago

Folks, what do I do? Do I need to cut this? Still firm, just shriveled and unhappy. I cut the rim of the water bottle down, I think that may have been the prob. It did spend today concealed with a TP roll.

Thanks for your advice- this sick toddler is causing probs with my plumie kiddos.

Wendy

Comments (10)

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just read Jen's post to someone's question about a wrinkly cutting. Mine probably haven't rooted yet, I have only had them planted a couple of weeks now, but they have been in quite a bit of sun, my deck gets really hot. Can an un- rooted cutting become dehydrated without roots? Both of these cutting are burnt and wrinkled in the same place, the one above is just the worst.

Should I keep them out of direct sun for awhile or do you suppose the TP rolls around the base will suffice?

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

Maybe the bottle acted like a magnifying glass.

I say just use the TP roll like Jen said and put them back out in the sun and use mister to spray some water a couple of times a day on the cutting to help reduce dehydration.

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kms2. You think I've still got a shot at rooting them?

• lucas2
    12 years ago

Due to the location at the soil line, I would suspect it is the beginning of some sort of rot.Otherwise it might just be normal Shriveling from being cut. I doubt if it is sunburn. I would pull it up and inspect the underside. You won't have any roots yet to disturb, so it won't hurt nothing. If there is any sign of blackness or softness, I would cut it and let dry for a week or so.I am only on my phone so I can't see the pictures real good, but your soil looks moist. A couple weeks into it, you should be almost 100% dry. Resist the urge to water, they don't need it. I have cuttings that I started in September that have just begun to leaf out this week, they have been dry for 6+ months. A couple are a bit dehydrated, but it is a more uniform shriveling, not necessarily starting at the base. Also, I can't tell from the picture, but if that is a full size 2 liter container, I would cut it down to about a third. If it is too deep it will trap moisture. You only need a little soil.

• ploomer
    12 years ago

sun burn is common. If it's only one-sided it should be okay. If there are no roots, re-cut and start the process over.

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I pulled them, I don't think it was rot, however I cut the one in the pic because sap wasn't coming from the badly burnt area. It is going to be a little on the short side when I try to root again. This time I am going ot put it in a regular black 1 gal, the bottle method just didn't work for me. Although I never watered them, the soil just wasn't drying out in the bottles. Grrrr, this is frustrating and a little depressing. These two were my trial runs to see if I would be spending money wisely at the cuttng sale this weekend... after this bout I'm not so sure.

Thanks for the advice all,
    Wendy

• lucas2
    12 years ago

Wait 2 weeks till they are good and hard then try again. Use a black pot to soak up heat. Only fill half way with 50% perlite and 50% peat. Water in once and put it where it gets full sun all day. Do not water again.Do not bring it inside at this point in the season. Indoors = no air movement and breeds rot. It will be easier this next time because the growing season is now here and the weather is warm. They will root.

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lucas2.... thanks.

:o)

• pcput
    12 years ago

Hi ProudMamaSD, Don't let one cutting get you down. As long as there is green there is hope. It's always hard to loose one but some are just not made to make it. You will learn tons from them and be better able to succeed with the next one. You have a fantastic opportunity to pick up some great cuttings at the show. I would give my eye teeth (and my first born) to be able to go to that show. I even make out my wish list as if I could go. "Boy have I got it bad " There are cuttings there you won't find anywhere else. I wish there were shows like that on the east coast. Go, have fun and make us jealous with what you buy. You will be able to grow them with all the help and great people on here. Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Wendy,

I have had some cuttings look like that from the sun as well. My cuttings were left alone and i moved them from the direct sun since it did seem like they were getting fried even here on the east coast with the high temps.Even with that type of burn, they continued to root.

Like Peg mentioned, dont let this one discourage you. We all have our losses and if we didnt continue to try and learn...we wouldn't be successful!!!

This is a new experience for us all and we are all still learning at growing these individual trees.

I think the Water bottle did aid in magnifying the heat to the stem. In so as causing that burn. I would cut down the amount of raised plastic or pot up higher so that you dont have extra plastic. the only reason we like to use the bottles verses the black pots when rooting, is because when we first start out rooting, We are so impatient to see if they are any signs of roots. When we use the plastic, we can see a glimpse of what is going on below the soil line. if you can keep from peeking and poking in the mix during the rooting process, then the small black nursery pots will be just fine. ALso when we root several cutting together it is easier to put the water containers in a bucket or some other means of a "holder" to keep them stable.

Keep your chin up and go get some more cuttings at the show. We all will succeed when we finally understand how this all works.

DOnt give up just yet!!! : )

Laura

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz