Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneyhorse

Plumeria newbie

disneyhorse
11 years ago

Hello all!

Every year I choose a new plant to obsess and learn about. I've done everything from coleus to hybrid tea roses. I don't have a lot of time because I work full time, have two year old twins, and a horse which is also my hobby.
I've never taken much interest in plumerias and didn't really understand the price or attraction of them...
Our next door neighbor has a very large plumeria (white with yellow) and it often hangs over our fence. Two years ago I pruned it back and my mom and grandmother freaked out that I was going to throw away the "cuttings" and they rooted ten of them. What are you going to do with ten white trees I wondered?
Last year, my grandmother moved out of her house and had to downsize to an apartment. She loves plants (maybe I got my green thumb from her) and was devastated that she had to leave behind a large pink plumeria in the ground. She had always tried to root cuttings from it but never got it to work, even with rooting hormone or whatever.
So that brings me to this year. I discovered a half-rotted bucket of cuttings from my grandmother's pink plumeria in a bucket taken right before the house closed escrow. Someone had poached the rest of the tree to a stump.
My mom was commenting that she should plant the cuttings but that they probably wouldn't root anyway. Three of the cuttings looked like they might have a tiny spark of life, and I thought "Challenge accepted!" And I claimed them for this year's learning plant.
In the two weeks since I've potted them, I've bought JL Pink Pansy and Waimea seeds (to try my hand at seedlings) and a couple rooted plants from "Fuzzy" in Honolulu. I want to use the white cuttings we've got rooted as my test subjects for learning to graft since I've never done it.
I'm sure I will have lots of questions for you... Two weeks ago I didn't know what the heck an "inflo" was or where to get perlite from...
I'm kind of interested in finding someone nearby to get fresh cuttings for grafts since they've got to be very fresh I think?? I've scoped out some trees in the neighborhood but I'm afraid of being creepy knocking on a strangers door to ask for a piece of their tree...
Thanks for your time!

Comments (10)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Goodness you have your hands full!

But welcome to your latest obsession! If they are growing these in the ground in your neighborhood, you should have no trouble and hopefully these plants won't take up too much of your time.

There are lots of growers in your region and likely clubs and sales you can attend.

Welcome. There's a lot of information in this site!

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

It helps to know which city you are in. So. Cal is bigger than many states. There are forum people spread around and each area has distinct advantages and problems. I see Disney which might make you in OC and you may want to check on the South Coast Plumeria Society meetings which are now in Anaheim (1000 s. state College just north of Ball Rd.)(next mtg. 1st sunday in June)and have many cutting and plants for sale. Also Chris Roy at Orange County Farm Supply on chapman just west of Main is the supply guru. If you are farther south or north, there are others.

Here is a link that might be useful: So. Coast P.S.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Run away now! Too late, you are already becoming addicted.
    I don't understand paying hundreds for a tree or a cutting really. But there are tons of varieties that don't require a second mortgage and most plummie growers are happy to share.
    It sounds like you are off to a great start already.
    Tally HO!

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in Yorba Linda, and work at Disneyland. So yes, I've seen the plumeria society meets right down the street from where I work but sadly I work on weekends during their meetings. My husband might think me crazy if I take a vacation day to check out a plant club...
    I haven't heard of Chris Roy... What exactly does he "supply"?

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can someone post a photo of what a "sunburned" plant looks like?

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Chris at OCFS is the place for any garden supplies. Soil mixes, fertilizers, superthrive, seaweed extract, etc. Chris was the speaker at the first society meeting. He is a collector too. Mention you heard from his surfer friend Bill (me) and he will take care of you. Click on my page and e-mail me and I can directly help you as I know most of the local growers. I am in Costa Mesa near So. Coast Plaza. Bill

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Some on this forum might think you are crazy to not take a vacation day to attend. :)

Here is the most cursory went out to the backyard and just took cell phone picture of sunburn on a cutting. The sunburn is actually from last year.

• rox146
    11 years ago

I learned on this forum...wrap foil around the burn....roxanne

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Yeah, I may have to attend a meeting. How long do they normally run? Is there a newsletter?
    Thank you for the photo of sunburn. Can they burn in a day, or does it happen over time? Does it severely damage them? Plumerias don't seem to have much in the way of "bark" I suppose...

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I would say that is a fairly light sunburn. I don't know that it happens quickly as much as the effects become noticeable all at once. In other words it gets noticed only after the damage is done. Then its a matter of how much damage.

In this cutting's example i simply moved it to an afternoon shade location and turned it so the sunburn side was opposite the sun. it is a broken branch from a JL Candystripe and rooted over winter. Earlier that evening something knocked it out of the container hence the rock to help support it while the roots take hold again.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!