Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xerophytenyc

Plumerias in the "North"

xerophyte NYC
11 years ago

Hello all!

I've been posting on this forum on/ off for about 5 years since I started growing Plumeria. I was snakebit by the Plumie bug when I purchased a 'Yellow Jack' from an online vendor on a whim. I have learned a lot from my plants since then, and have enjoyed many wonderful flowers and their exquisite aromas.

Last fall most of my Plumeria suffered during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. All my plants were still in the ground and handled the Hurricane itself just fine. The problem was the freak snow and cold 2 days after the Hurricane - I was without electricity for almost 12 days and had to live with a relative in Manhattan, leaving all my plants without protection outdoors. The snow and freeze by itself was not enough to permanently damage the plants, but the fact they had to remain outside for many days of cool and wet weather without an opportunity to recover was what finally did them in.

When I finally unearthed my plants in their pots, all the leaves and tips were mush. I pruned as much as I could, placed my plants into storage, and hoped for the best. Ideally I could have put them into a spot with lots of warmth and sun, but that was just not possible.

There are 2 lone survivors, which I want to bring to peoples' attention as they could be considered to be hardy and resistant. 'Hurricane' and 'Puu Kahea', while they suffered the same initial freeze and black tips as the others, seem to be fine. The stems are solid and green. I expect new buds to form soon. All the other plants, roughly 10 different varieties, are total mush or completely desiccated. Don't feel bad for me please. These are all replaceable. Many people suffered MUCH worse than me. I will simply buy some new cuttings and start again. I am happy to share with others my experiences with successfully growing and blooming Plumeria in the big, bad "North".

Here is a photo of 'Hurricane' in bloom last summer:
Brilliant blooms, strong spicy scent

And here are some of my favorites over the years:
Puu Kahea - lovely flowers, weak scent

JJ Mini White, grown in a pot

Kimo - nice flower, but not as nice as others, IMO

Yellow Jack - my first Plumeria: easy bloomer, quick grower, wonderful, strong lemony scent

Penang Peach, colors and aroma are wimpy during cooler weather

Some new additions coming soon: Celadine, Musk Rainbow, Mary Moragne, Kaneohe Sunset, Kauka Wilder, Yellow Jack, Jack's Mini Yellow

I am strongly considering getting a mylar lined grow tent which I could heat and add grow lights to early next spring to get a headstart on my plants. I find that Plumeria are best with a maximum 2 months cold + dry dormancy, which for me is basically December and January. By February, they need to be moved somewhere warm to start growth. When all goes well, an inflo will start forming on mature branches in March/ April and are blooming by July. I don't have much room by sunny windows indoors but a grow tent in my garage should be perfect.

I am happy to share my thoughts about what works and what doesn't, for me, when it comes to growing Plumeria in NY.

And by the way, I've had luck with Plumeria's cousins as well: some Adeniums and Pachypodium lamerei.

x

Comments (6)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi X,

Nice to see you on this side of the forums...

Sorry to hear of the damage to your trees. Did you plunge the containers in the ground? I also sink the containers as well and have some of mine on the deck and around the pool area. ( i do double pot in the heat of the summer..)

Interesting to hear about Pu'u Kahea and Hurricane being that hardy to survive those extreme temps. ( meaning the tips are viable) I remember how long the cold temps hit after Sandy made her appearance. Lots of loss.. I am sure that you and others have lost much more, but i like that you are focused on something that brings you such joy. Great attitude "X"

I have seen you post on other forums and i appreciate what you have to offer others..

Thank you for the information and i will say that i am impressed by the beauty of your pictures.

Good luck with the new growing season and if there is anything i can do for you, please let me know.

I also love the other DR's and Pachy's too!

Thanks for your information..

Take care,

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

X,
    Beautiful pictures. I hope you can figure out an over winter strategy that will work for you.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Beautiful pics! From the bit I can see your yard looks like a tropical oasis, would never guess you're in NY! There are many Adenium fans here on the plumie side too. I have a bunch of pics ready to upload to the Adenium side when i have the time, I miss posting over there but I lurk sometimes!

• xerophyte NYC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Southern NY is a viable climate for many different plant groups, so long as you can figure out where to put them in the winter. Some plants overwinter easily without extra heat or light, like pretty much any succulent, cycad, banana, or Plumeria.

We get several months of solid heat/ humidity for tropical plants, and also several months of cooler weather which suits lots of temperamental succulents like some of the tree Aloes and other "winter" growers.

We get to have a little taste of everything. I try to make the most of it.

x

• jandey1
    11 years ago

X, nice to see you back in these parts again! Wonderful for you to put your plant losses into perspective, and to share the information on the two you found hardiest.

Hurricane is so appropriately named in your case!

Your yard looks amazing, and I would not have guessed you could grow tropicals so successfully in New York state.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Beautiful blooms! Plumerias are probably one of my easiest tropical plants to overwinter, they just lose their leaves and I leave them alone. They love the heat and humidity here in NYC, I get blooms every summer and my oldest one (a 1 foot tall plant I got almost exactly 4 years ago is 13 feet tall now!) I should prune it back, but I really like the look of it as a large tree.

I brought my plumerias in before Sandy hit so they were okay and my house didn't get below 60F during that really cold spell after the storm where we didnt have power.

I always like to see pics of your yard, you do great things with our climate! I don't have much luck with Adeniums, the one I have right now has done well for me indoors though and is the only one I have ever successfully overwintered inside.

I'm getting new plumerias this summer for the first time in a few years and I'm really looking forward to it! Plumerias should be grown more often here, they love the summer heat and are really easy to take care of indoors.
    -Alex

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations