Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

Palma Sola photos

irun5k
12 years ago

Hi, happy Easter to you all.

It is still a bit too early in the season but it was a nice day for a short road trip so we rode down to Palma Sola gardens in Bradenton where the Gulf Coast Plumeria Society has installed quite a few plants. Here are some pics. I have to imagine this will be pretty incredible in a couple of months time.

I almost wish they could have spread them out a bit more... the trees are all mature now and have almost grown together as a hedge so they've lost some of their individual distinctiveness.

We spotted a broken open seed pod on the ground so we brought it home, I have no idea how old it is but the seeds were intact... so what the heck, can't hurt to try right?

Brian

Comments (15)

• pcput
    12 years ago

Very nice Brian !!! It will be spectacular when they are all filled out and in bloom. And the SMELL !!! ummmmm !!!!
    Thanks for taking the time to bring them to us to see. Peg

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Brian, thanks for posting those! Always nice to see full-size trees. That's going to be stunning in a couple of months.

I agree with you that they could've been spaced farther apart to highlight each tree but, hey, at least there's a nice place to go and see plumeria hedges at all.

Did you see any must-have varieties listed on the tags? I wonder if they were only able to get the more vigorous growers like Miami Rose and Aztec Gold or if they had donations of more exotic ones.

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Unfortunately they did not have the money to put up formal signs. However, most of the trees had a metal tag around the trunk. The problem is that you had to crawl under the trees to see them... however I did check a couple- I don't recall the names now but they were definitely not run-of-the-mill. I think the local Plumeria Society made some nice donations.... 70 or so trees in all.

On the opposite side of the gardens is a large number of tropical fruit trees planted by the local exotic fruit club.... from Jackfruit to Lychee and everything in between. If they could keep visitors from picking the fruit they could probably raise a lot of money by selling it, considering you can get $35-40 for a single Jackfruit and a lot of the other stuff can sell in the $8/lb range.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hey Brian,

Happy Easter to you!!!

Thank you for the pictures.. Isn't it funny that to us Plumie lovers, even without leaves they are still beautiful?

I love the look of all of the trees.. Like you said, it would have been nice to see them spaced better.. but they are still lovely in my eyes!!!

Always fun to find a seedpod.. Good Luck!!

Thanks AGain for the warm smiles as i look at those pics!!!

Take care,

Laura

• juicygirl
    12 years ago

WOW! I'm going to hunt this place down. My Father in law has a house in Tarpon Springs near the beach. His no name white and no name red bloom from Spring to winter. Already he must have about 50 claws on his trees. And the smell is divine
    Thank you for sharing with us.

• dpolson37
    12 years ago

It always helps me and slows my expectations down a bit to see naturalized plumerias. I keep expecting mine to put out leaves sooner than nature calls for. Seeing those at this time of the year really sets me straight.

I just got back from the Melbourne Beach, Florida area and most of the trees there were in the same condition. Just waking up. Most had inflos, but no leaves which is the way they usually grow from what I can tell. Mine tend to put out leaves first, but growing in pots might throw off mother nature some.

Thanks for the photo sharing. Nice job picking up the seedpod. Soak the fat ones and they should grow. I did that on a seedpod from a trip and now I have one small tree growing.

Dave

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

Brian,

Thanks for sharing your awesome photos and for passing along a Florida travel tip! I have friends in Sarasota, so next time I'm there, I'll have to slip away up to Bradenton for a visit to this place.

Dave, to your comments, I wonder about these things, too...the mysteries of our beloved stick-trees! I haven't been cultivating them long enough to be an expert by any means, but my take is that pots vs. in-the-ground is probably not the determining factor (but easily concede that I could be entirely wrong as well).

Ultimately, I think each plumeria does what it "wants," but, regarding coming out of dormancy, I have observed this spring that my trees that are placed in areas of more northern exposure are the slowest to wake up; conversely, the ones in more open-exposure areas woke up the earliest--probably comes down to a response to light and heat.

As for the inflos-before-leaves issue, I have noticed that Florida Colors, in their descriptions of individual cultivars, sometimes (but not always) identifies a particular time of year as a tree's flowering time. For instance, as between two Florida cultivars, Gladys O'Neal is early spring (and, Jen, sending good vibes to you and your ailing GO cutting--hope you can save it) and Donna S is late summer-fall. So, perhaps there is a particular inclination for each cultivar...but I bet they break their own rules all of the time LOL. I also think the maturity of the tree must factor in...

Anyway, THEN there's a fab tree like Aztec Gold, which seems to always, always, always be in bloom--gotta love that. There is a mature AG in my neighborhood, and the other morning I was out walking and snapped this:

Not bad, eh? :)

Greg

• jandey1
    12 years ago

OMG, Greg if I had trees like that throughout my neighborhood I'd never come back in the house! Beautiful! You Floridians are so botanically blessed. And thank you for the kind thoughts on my sad cutting--you're a sweetie.

Btw, how is the iguana problem? Is the netting working?

I need to make up some pepper and garlic spray this week. I just found another darned rabbit in my backyard. Little One and I tried to scare it off but he must be sticking around because my poor winecup keeps losing leaves, just as it's starting to bloom. Aargh! Between the caterpillars and the rabbits and the deer in the front yard I'm ready to tear my hair out. Any day now an armadillo will start its yearly plowing of my flower beds, too. sigh.

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

Jen, I know! This tree makes my jaw drop every time I see it. It's just stunning--it must have 200 tips, and right now they're almost all in bloom.

It's so true what you say about Florida--life here has its challenges, but the flora of the Sunshine State makes it a dream, for me at least, to live here. I love it.

I share your pest frustration. Argh! ;) Sometimes it can seem like a losing battle. The iguana problem has gotten better...although the buggers are still lurking, I catch sight of one a couple times a week and have to chase them off. I throw coconuts that have fallen off our palm trees at them LOL!!! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :) The netting is ugly as heck, and it was a pain to set it up, but I'm finding that as the trees grow, I can cut slits for the expanding leaves to grow through, while the netting remains...and the iguanas luckily are too dumb to figure it out.

So, Jen, this is for you: my Waimea has been poised to open now for like four days...the anticipation is KILLING me! :)

Down the dock a bit is Haleakala, which has the most "gigunda" inflo I've yet seen:

Finally, one of my first purchases, a pink noID from Home Depot, in a pretty respectable bloom:

TTYS, Jen and all! Go Gladys!

Greg

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was somewhat surprised that the trees at Palma Sola were in such an early stage of leafing out but I think a some of it has to do with cultivar genetics.

Greg, great photos. You are right regarding Aztec Gold... there is one in my neighborhood as well that is currently completely leafed out and completely in bloom. They are strong early bloomers. I believe that it makes a great specimen tree in the FL landscape.

Enjoy,
    Brian

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Okay, Greg, here's my plan: I'll visit you first so I can see Waimea, Haleakala, your beautiful NOID pink--I'll earn my keep by chasing iguanas for you--and that big Aztec Gold tree; then I'll swing over to Palma Sola to see those beauties waking up, then drive on north to Laura's nursery and get there in time to see her inflos opening up.

Anyone want to join me? Peg?

• pcput
    12 years ago

Jen, Sounds like a GREAT trip. Love to see Greg's iguana cages !!! And that Aztec Gold must smell wonderfulllll. I never get tired of visiting Laura's but there are more now to see. When are we going???? Peg

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

LOL Jen and Peg, y'all are welcome anytime! And no iguana chasing required...alTHOUGH, if either of you decided to pick up a coconut and take aim, I wouldn't stop you!!! (You know my feelings on those critters.)

I came home from work this evening as the sun was setting, and found my first Waimea bloom open at last! It is BEAUTIFUL:)

I love the idea of your trip--the only addition I would suggest is a stop or two at some Florida Lowe's locations. Those JJ cultivars will be showing up soon, and Brian said that he heard that the variety of offerings this season will be even larger than last year!!! Hee hee yes, I AM an enabler ;)

It's really fun being able to share my excitement for these flowers with all of you! Thanks!

Greg

• pcput
    12 years ago

It's a beauty Greg !!! I had a cutting of it but unfortunately I didn't get it to root. I didn't need the news about Lowe's down there as I'm running out of room. I need for some of these I have to bloom so I can weed out the ones I don't want. Did I say THAT ??? Oh I must be running a fever. I'll go take my meds now.LOL Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hey Guys!!!

WHEN IS THE ROAD TRIP? : )

Sounds like a blast...

You all are more than welcome to come up to Virginia to visit.. I would love it!!!

Greg.. I have pretty good aim with things!! LMAO! I could take a few coconuts and have lots of fun with them!!!
    Love the look of all your trees!!!

Jen and Peg.. My first thought was how big of a u-haul would we have to rent? Could you imagine if we all went to Florida Colors? Ohhh MYY! I think that you all would have to tie my hands together so i couldn't buy any more. Maybe put tape over my mouth so i couldn't convince Jen or Peg or Greg to buy them for me..LMAO!!! Just let me look and be in heaven...

I wish that i could take a walk around my neighborhood and see Plumeria growing like that... Life would be wonderful!!!

Peg.. im so glad i wasnt avail to pick up that cell message. LMAO!! Did you? I am really ready to stop buying for the season.. Peg.. GOT MEDS FOR ME? : )

Laughing here... Thanks for sharing the fun and excitement everyone!!! It is contagious..

Take care,

Laura

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022