Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
groovyeyal

Need advice please (pic included)

eyal
11 years ago

One of my babies branches is literally falling.

or growing weird.

It just started budding and I'm not sure if I should cut it off and root it into its own plant or tie it up so it can grow up or just leave it? Any advice is appreciated.

-g

Comments (11)

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

if its not broken, then its ok for now. the longer it gets the heavier and more pressure there is on the joint. i can kinda see an inflo, i would get a bucket or crate or something and support it. let it bloom, then afterwards you can cut and root it.

• eyal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're right houstontexas123 it does have an inflow. I'll do what you suggest and cut it and root it after it blooms.

Thanks!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

I'd stake it and slowly train it up over a summer.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Yeah i would train it up too. Seems like it could have a very unique shape. All else fails then cut it and hopefully new growth will balance the plant back out.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Just a tip for training it: the branches will be much more pliable when the soil is dry. If you water then try to bend the branches they're more likely to break, so wait until the plant is thirsty.

• esebastian
    11 years ago

My two plumerias were just sitting there in the window and not doing anything during winter. They had a few leaves. I watered them once a month during fall & winter. Around mid February, they lost all their leaves and have been sitting there with no leaves and nothing seems to be happening. Their trunks look green and ok, but no new leaves for the last 7 or 8 weeks. Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated!

• esebastian
    11 years ago

My two plumerias were just sitting there in the window and not doing anything during winter. They had a few leaves. I watered them once a month during fall & winter. Around mid February, they lost all their leaves and have been sitting there with no leaves and nothing seems to be happening. Their trunks look green and ok, but no new leaves for the last 7 or 8 weeks. Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated!

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

esebastion, seems like your plumies finally went into hibernation.

lots of light and warm temps will get them to start growing again.

• esebastian
    11 years ago

Thanks houstontexas123 for the reply! Should I water them more frequently now? I can see very little green nodes appearing on the top. Should I also feed them lightly or should I wait until I see actual leaves. I guess I should have let them hibernate in the fall but don't know how. Any suggestion for next year would be greatly appreciated!

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

no extra water till it gets a few leaves out.

don't fertilize till it gets more leaves out.

a few ways to get them to hibernate is to stop watering, less light, cut off leaves, and cool temps (around 50'F -ish), dont let them get into the really cold temps or they may get frost dmg, and start getting mushy and rot. when you had them inside it was still warm (as most ppl set their thermostats around 70-ish) and getting light from the window. if you have a garage, place it in there.

• esebastian
    11 years ago

Thank you again houstontexas123 for the information. I will try those techniques this coming fall. Although in NE PA the temperature in our garage is around 20's and 30's during winter. I guess that is out of question. Good information. Thank you again!

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County