Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Taking A Bare Rooted Tree And Potting Into Gritty Mix

Hi Guys and Gals!!

I received a Bare Rooted tree from BBB. The roots were a little dry and im a little worried about that, but im going to think postively! Also i received two trees from Ebay and potted them all up into Gritty Mix.

Some of you have asked me in emails about how i pot up into Gritty Mix, so i decided to show you what and how i did it.

When i rec this tree from BBB the first thing i did was to spray the roots with rainwater and made sure they stayed moist until i was ready to pot up. Here are the pictures of me taking the tree and trimming the roots. i didnt like some of the roots because they looked a little brown at the ends. So i cut them off until i liked the look of the roots.

Hope this helps some of you that have asked..

Before i trimmed...

After i trimmed...

Container ready...

Placing into the Gritty Mix...

Ready for watering and ready to start the season!!!

{{gwi:1162474}}

The other two trees potted into the Gritty Mix from Ebay..

{{gwi:1162475}}

Cuttings ready to get potted into the Gritty Mix..

Containers ready...

Gritty Mix Ready...

{{gwi:30058}}

Dipped cuttings in Roottone..

Potted in containers...

Now all snuggled up in the container and on the heating mat in the greenhouse..

some others in the greenhouse..

larger trees on the deck ready for the warm temps..

{{gwi:1162493}}

a few inflos already..

Penang Peach

{{gwi:1162495}}

Lavender

{{gwi:1162497}}

Miami Rose.. Tks. D : )

{{gwi:1162499}}

Take care,

Laura

Comments (28)

• pcput
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Laura for taking the time to show us how to do it. You did a great job. They all look so good. Wish I could read all those tags !!!! LOL Now if we could just get the weather to cooperate. Peg

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

LAURA!

Thank you. What a gift you've given to the entire community. Even seeing a picture of a bare root tree would have helped me understand what was coming. A visual of the entire process is really such an asset to all of us, and certainly provides us the reassurance many of us need. You all make is sound so simple, after seeing you do it, maybe it really IS that simple.

Thank you, and did I mention I'm envious?! Beautiful collection and greenhouse!

Wendy

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

Fantastic photos. Thanks for showing us. So what are you going to name your plumeria nursery? LOL
    Not to worry about the dry roots. I stored some like that over a winter and the roots were dry as a bone. Once they got potted back up and were watered they took off. I'd say they were a little bit slower waking up, but maybe that was just me.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

LOVE your greenhouse and all of your plants!!! WOW!!!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

You nuts lady! What you gonna do with all them cuttings when they get big?

LOL! Laura, your rooted cutting will be fine. It will generate new roots quickly this time of year.

Hmmm. I may need that Miami Rose back. (kidding). You're gonna love the inflo on that one.

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I have about 3-5 leaves starting to open. When should I pot in gritty mix? Should I just keep it in the cactus mix pot for this year, it is about 6" across?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Guys!!!

I'm smiling from ear to ear from all of your comments!!!

Peg, Thank you for all of you support. The weather needs to settle down here. Especially the next two nights. ALl of the trees are in the greenhouse and the others that were on the deck are inside.

THINK OF ALL OF THE EYE ROLLING GOIN ON HERE!!! LMAO!!!

He asked me when he could have his "grill back.." : ) I said probably next week. Im leaving on a trip and this weekend seems to warm up and imm going to leave them out for good. (I mean that..cough cough..)

Hi Wendy.

You are so cute!! Thank you... To be able to help you and someone else to actually see how easy it is to do and finally "get it!!" means everything to me. I remember when i first started and i had plenty of help form some wonderful people here. : ) I like to give back and try and help when i can. You kind words really make it all worth the time to help..Thank you so much. You just made my day!!! : )

Hey Dave,

I know.. I finally am seeing the end.. Really? Did i just say that? Noooooooooooooo Nooooooooooooo Nooooooooo

Reminds me of an Amy winehouse song.. "REbab..." NO, No, NO!!!

I know the roots from the BBB will be fine, I just dont like to see barerooted mailed and rec dry. The spag peat the it was to be in was dry as well. It will be fine tho.. No worries here. As far as names of the nursery..

"Laura's Going To Keep Them ALL.." LOL MY DH would like to sell them all and my daughter has said that if something happens to me they are going on ebay!! Yikes..Where is the love? SO if you see trees that look like mine..Have a Plumie Party for me with my own trees and keep what ever you all want. Dont want anyone making money on my trees... ; ) I will let it be known that they will all be for free in writing..LMAO!!!

Dave will be in charge... K Dave? : ) LOL...

Hi Dave K,

SOOOO nice to see you here? how have you been? i bet K is such a big girl now. Im going to be a Grand ma come September. Yikes!!! im nervous, but i know it will be fine. SO you want your Miami Rose back now..LMAO!! You are more than welcome to come over and pick up a few others too! LOL.. "Nuts" just about covers it!!

They look better when they are out around the pool and not all bunched up in one area and stuffed in the greenhouse.

I DO KNOW THAT I HAVE IT BAD.. never said that i didnt. : )

How are your trees doing? Are they still in the garage?

I cant wait to see the MR open. i will def post pics just for you!!! I wish we had a pic of how we got that tree into my car..LOL!!!! Again, Thank you Dave!!!

Minderella,

If your tree is doing well since you just potted it up to root, then i would give it this summer to adjust and grow, then next spring repot into the gritty mix. This is the new cutting right? It looks like its happy and i would give it time and grow in the medium that you have it in unless its not in a good fast draining mix. If it is in a good mix, give it a year, relax and enjoy!!! : )

Take care everyone..

Thank you for all of the kind comments!!

You all are the best!!

Laura

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Laura, well FINALLY I have arrived back here on one of the better GW forums!

Thanks so much for posting these pics! They are very helpfull, even for me! I should know this stuff by now, I'm a guy though, what can I say?! LOL!

Contributions? Laura, your amazing!Always thinking of the other members here. Giving the best avice, even offering cuttings!

I do wish we could meet. Man, we could do some damage in a plumeria nursery! I will say that you have been one of the nicest and sweetest people I know. I never thought I would form such a special friendship with a fellow grower! I only wish I could meet all the others, Bill, Al, Dave, Peg, I should not have listed names as there are so many I am forgetting that also I would love to meet.

Thanks again!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Andrew, there you are! I've been wondering where you'd wandered off to. Peg and I were planning a trip around the country to see/buy plumeria, starting in Florida at Greg's place. Her husband will drive our semi for us and our last stop will be the PSA sale here in Texas in June. You in? ;)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Awww no, you're not a gardener. You can be trusted with fingernails like that.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for all of your kind words. You know how much we love growing these trees and the joy we receive from one simple bloom!

I agree that we have a great group of people here and im so glad to get to know all of you! Especially you! You have always been a support to us here and on the other forums..Thank you!

Hello Love the yard,

Well... what can i say? Ahhh.. yes, " i am the gardener" Wish i could say that those hands were someones elses..but they are mine!! : )

Take care all,

Laura

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hey Laura,
    Ya know how much your friendship means to me, and everything you have done to enrich my growing of these awesome trees. Yes, you may have long finger nails but all the people here that no you, no that you are not afraid of getting your hands dirty.

JAndey, how are ya? Ya see, I knew as soon as i started mentioning specific names, I was going to forget you. Your awesome and I so wish I could go on that trip but as of now, were pklanning a trip to Florida around end of June thru the beginning of July.

I wish you both the best on your shopping endevors. I need to go back thru my emails that you sent to me as I know you had picked up a few that I too wanted. You had posted pics of the plumeria sale. I want to say that they were in Texas??

Hey laura,

One more thing. I am trying to put a list of my new "Must haves" for this year. I all ready know I plan on replacing the few I lost from Sonia and I also wanted that must have yellow you had told me about last year. Also am thinking I need Lani.

Take care eveyone!

Andrew

Original Author
    11 years ago

Lani is one of my favorites....

{{gwi:7812}}

Definitely add this one to your list of favorites Andrew!!!

Take Care Everyone...

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Emily,

Im so sorry that i missed saying something back to you. I just reread this post and i realized that i didnt say THANK YOU!! I appreciated all of youy kind comments. So glad to see you ..

Laura

• pcput
    11 years ago

Hi all, Just wanted to let you all know I've seen Laura's beautiful nails first hand.(LOL no pun intended) And YES I've seen her playing in the dirt doing her gardening. I guess it's good genes that makes them so strong they look good through it all. Wish I was so lucky. Peg

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Peg,

You are such a sweetie!!!

Thank you!!!

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

All of the rooted trees are doing well...including the little nubs!!!lol

Ill post pics when they develope more leaves!!!

Take care,

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Bump for you Mindy!!!

: )

Laura

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Thank you Laura. As always you are there to help me.
    Mindy

• edzone9
    9 years ago

Those a nice size cuttings ! Have fun Enjoy ....

P.s. who is BBB ?

Thanks Ed

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked edzone9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Kassieb,

Wow.. Haven't seen this thread for a long time!!

Congratulations on your treasures that you picked up in Hawaii! I am Sure you had a wonderful time. Just love the islands....

I would always put slits In the bottom of your container that you root in.. I like the clear solo cups or cups from Starbucks.. I used to use bottles.. But I like clear cups better.. ( a friend started me when he sent a cutting rooted in a red solo cup). ;-). I take a pair of scissors and make four slits on the bottom edge of the cup.. Water once and then let them sit on heat and let them work their magic.. It can take up to 8 weeks or so to root, so make sure you are patient when rooting.

Have fun!!!

Hi Ed!!

Those were some beautiful cuttings.. Many thanks to friends!!!

BBB is Brads Buds and Blooms.. They are In Florida

Laura

• edzone9
    9 years ago

Thank You !

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked edzone9
  • halocline
    8 years ago

HOLY S*** LAURA!!! You ARE the Gritty Mix Plumeria Queen!!!

Rob

• plumejunkie
    8 years ago

Laura always has nice nails when she takes her pics..... :P

Original Author
    8 years ago

Rob... Lol.. I'm really not!!! To are to funny... Jason... Always to kind!!!!

Mahalo nui loa

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    8 years ago

Laura - You are definitely a reigning Queen today! Hack saws, gritty mix, tutorials. :)

Original Author
    8 years ago

Mona... Noooooooo. I am not!! Lol... Lmao.... Noooooo!!!! ;-)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax