Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandhi_gw

visiting california -need info on plumeria nurseries

kandhi
13 years ago

I will be visiting CA on a conference and want to check nurseries where I can buy plumerias. I will be visiting LA,San Francisco and maybe San Diego. Can you let me know on any reputable plant nurseries where I can find plumeria's for reasonable pricing?

Comments (11)

• slave2thefur
    13 years ago

When will you be here? There's nurseries, and events such as club meetings.

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

Kandhi, in the Los Angeles area there is C-Stars, who is a supplier of plumerias to many nurseries. If you visit near San Diego area, visit Jungle jacks (in Vista), who is also a supplier to many nurseries, and who I think has the best quality plumerias and lots of interesting Thai varieties to choose from. I would call them before visiting.
    I would caution you about Siam Plumerias AKA Aloha Tropicals (just down the road from JJ), as I was duped by the owner into buying a plumeria that he claimed to be a Butterfly Gold which it was not.
    Good luck!

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

slave2thefur, I will be there during the week of May 16th

• slave2thefur
    13 years ago

a couple more ideas... check the local Craigslist for plumeria on sale by small nurseries and local growers. There's a few here in north SD county, and others in OC.

Unfortunately you'll miss the Socal PS meeting on the 8th, and it doesn't look like the South Coast PS has a meeting in May.

Jungle Jack has amazing plants and will have an open house in May, but the date isn't announced yet so keep an eye on his website. Be prepared for sticker shock, but the plants are amazing. His plants hit either HD or Lowes in July - Sept.

Armstrong Nursery has Hawaii days in May or June to start their summer season - no date yet. They carry C Stars plants.

HD or Lowes might have plumeria in stock in May - usually C-Stars or generic plants.

Our weather is fabulous right now, but will be "May Gray" followed by 'June Gloom". If you find blooming plants, they will be in greenhouses or inland.

I'm going to the South Coast Garden show on Friday, and will ask the sellers if they have booths at any shows during your time period.

diana =^,, ^=

• isobea
    13 years ago

Kandhi, one more suggestion for San Diego (North County): Pacific Plumeria in Solana Beach. Mike is a really nice guy and has a good assortment of plants. Call him beforehand to make an appointment. Good luck and happy hunting!
    Iso

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the information. I am really excited about the visit and instead of scrambling looking for plumerias in all nurseries around, knowing where to go does help a lot to avoid driving everywhere in short timeframe.

• slave2thefur
    13 years ago

Ditto on Mike at Pacific Plumeria - excellent prices, and if you let him know you're coming, he can sell cuttings instead of rooted plants for easy transport.

You might also try calling Orange County Farm Supply - I've heard the owners sell cuttings of exceptional plumerias.

• slave2thefur
    13 years ago

I stopped in the Armstrong by the flower fields today, and Tom Cook, the cutting supplier, was there. Because the flower fields are blazing away, he's keeping that particular store well stocked with cuttings.

Although he wouldn't tell me much, he said that his cuttings are named varieties even though they are only labeled as pink, rainbow, etc. and that his source is both his local trees and Hawaii. His packaging has 'Color guaranteed by JL Farms' and has a plug for one of the JL books.

Even if these aren't Little cuttings (he would neither deny nor confirm... sigh), at $10 it's a good deal.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just can't believe it, my trip to 'San diago' is canceled but I will be there in LA and San Francisco area. The info provided on this thread is mostly for San Diago area nurseries. Can anyone provide me info for nuseries around LA and San Francisco area?

• slave2thefur
    12 years ago

In Orange County, here's 2 more from the garden show.

Fernando at ocplumerias.com - not a huge selection, but really good prices on cuttings (4 for $20) and potted plants (Makaha Sunn for $20). Give him a call at the number on the website.

Upland nursery - unfortunately their website is currently contaminated with malware, but good selection at good prices (Double Delight for $8). They also have some new plants they will be introducing this year.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

slave2thefur, I will try to go to the both nurseries mentioned. Thanks